Archive through August 30, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carl McBee- No telling when a person in your line of work might find himself over in the Calico Rock area,but if you do, take the time to look up Washington's. It's an old time parts house/ shop and repair/ TV repair shop. All those in seperate parts of the same building.Family run business.
They used to be the IH dealer for that area. No outward signs of that, now, but it's there. The guy that runs the parts house was raised being the Cub Cadet man in the house and if you go in there and mention the words Cub Cadet, he'll almost talk your leg off.
He's still got the old Fisch files of parts listings for these tractors, and told me that, when they quit servicing Cubs he took all the left over parts from the shelves and put them in wash tubs and stored them in a shed at his home.
It's something to think about if you get over that way, and now that I've let this out,if you can get there before Charlie makes a road trip down there.
shhh.gif

Curtis, thank you for the information. I had no idea they were there. I only live 30 to 35 minutes from Calico Rock so I will pay them a visit soon. There is another old Cub dealership in Flippin (where I live) named Hoke Equipment that still has some parts available. (not and ad, I have no connection to this business. Intended for information for members only) A lot of his stuff has been picked over but he bought up several parts tractors when things got tough. Charlie probably don't know we roll up the streets and sidewalks here at dark so he will get stranded. If Ken Weaver was still posting, he and I might could get Charlie in a cross fire when he got between us.

I think I may have a hydro unit going bad in an 1811. Just doesn't have the speed and power it used to? Engine runs just as strong and I noticed all this only after a $700. leak fix on above said hydro unit. Dealer who did repairs said they were never in unit just leaks on outside hydro?

Anyways would a hydro unit from a 782 be a direct bolt on replacement? May just be better to replace with low hour hydro?

Thank you,

All the seals and gaskets have been replaced on the transmission & rear end. My neighbor got the frame, tranny & rear end painted and is letting it bake in the sun today. It’s coming together nicely and should be a real nice “O” Cub when done.
Hope everyone is having a great Labor Day
93531.jpg

93532.jpg

93533.jpg

So I have been poking around on the site and checked some of the other stuff out and now for my question. Whats the difference between a lawn tractor and a garden tractor and where does my 106 fit in all that??

Sweet I just got another parts plow for nothing!! Has springs and pins and all the goodies!!! Pretty happy! Now all I need are wheel wieghts and chains and winter to get here!!

R.C. - Seriously, point well taken...mother was taking the pics, and we probably should have taken a few more precautions. You probably wouldn't approve of the fact that he had his own tractor (382)until we moved to Florida, and drove it alone on a regular basis. He does have a DOT helmet for riding his powerwheel 4-wheeler.

Kendall - that would be Hurricane Gustav in the pic

IH 582 didn't have an airbag, that was later rare CCC option (model 580 only(along with the 48" pin-on deck))
After this picture, I got out the 71, and mowed 12" burmuda grass in 3rd gear, and the PTO clutch never slipped once.

Mgault- your pic gave me an idea! Now I have a use for my sisters non working barbeque grill she gave me - a rolling work table. Cool

Scott Stanton:
Stolen from This glossary:
"Garden Tractor - A heavy-duty lawn tractor powered by a 14- to 18-horsepower front-mounted, gasoline-powered engine and able to power ground-engaging implements such as garden tillers, plows, dozer blades, snow throwers, etc."

"Lawn Tractor - A category of riding mower powered by a 10- to 14-horsepower, front mounted gasoline-powered engine to cover large mowing areas, but not strong enough to power ground-engaging equipment."

I don't know if the owner of that web site originated the definitions, but that pretty well covers it. In addition, note that on this forum, Lawn tractors are pretty much defined by this:
"Lawn tractors include the 76, 80, 81, 111, 1100 and 182 thru 482 - pretty much if it has a B&S and a belt..."

BTW - I'm sure we'll hear from somebody with a GE ElecTrac......

So by their definition, where does that leave the Original...70...71...72...73 and so on
crazy.gif

Brendon, all those models you listed are garden tractors. They have solid drive shafts and can employ ground engaging equipment. If it has a belt that drives the transmission, it most likely is a lawn tractor - but not always.

John-David Reaves

Scott S:

The 106 "IS" a Garden Tractor.

I don't agree with the definition that Ken posted. IH considered the Original Cub cadet (7HP) as a Garden Tractor.

The Garden Tractors by IH had a heavy cast iron rear end in them with the traditional Kohler motor. While the Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor's had a aluminum transaxle with a B & S motor.

John.....I was being a wise ars, as some of the best GT's are 7-12hp
lol.gif

Didn't mean to spoil your fun, Brendan. Worked all night 5:00 - 5:00 last night, monitoring Gustav, and came it at 5:00 this evening. Sometimes the posts run together.

Can anyone post correct pressure specs for testing implement lift relief valve on 169? I have the information for the charge pump relief valve. Need this to install my new hydraulic lift assembly.

Thanks,

John-David Reaves - still working

John-David Reaves:

Here is an excerpt from page 2-93 of the Service Manual...
93567.jpg

About 600 PSIG

What about the Original Cub Cadet by those definitions? It has a belt that drives the transmission, is less than even the lawn-tractor category of 10-14hp, but can definitely pull a plow, snow-blower, etc.

That website may pertain to a modern lawn tractor. Most of your small comodity mowers of today have 10.5-14.5 hp. I rarely see anything with less on a riding mower. Garden tractors made to pull implements have around 18hp on average I guess (some more, some less). That info just can't compare to older IH Cub Cadets

Thanks Roland for the posting. I found that same info in a search. I must have misread it last night - it was a long night, with half hour updates to report out on Gustav. I take it there is only one pressure check to make for both relief valves, not one for each relief valve??

Thanks for your assistance,

John-David Reaves

Good Morning All. Our computer's hard drive took a nosedive after a year and a half so I am writing this before I start my work day.

Tom H. I saw those two tractor's last week at the Farm Progress Show near Boone, Iowa. Very Impressive. The Magnum actaully reads 165 years instead of 200. I also visited with a Cub Cadet territory rep. For what little time we could spend visiting we agreed to keep in touch. Maybe some Plow Day's might start getting a little more interesting next year. (Starting with Travis' Spring Event.)
happy.gif

Kevin M.

I would look more into it before replacing the hydro. It could be something simple like linkage adjustments, improper installment of the hydro by the dealer, or did they fill it full enough with hytran. And, what in the world did they do to charge you 700.00!

Latest posts

Back