• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through August 20, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question about k161 cylinder head studs/bolts. Anyone know if all used studs rather than bolts or when they may have switched from studs to bolts. Most of my 7 hps have bolts but not certain if they're correct or not. Any thoughts? Thanks

TERRY - I haven't seen EVERY K161/181 ever built but I've seen a lot of them and they all had head bolts, not studs & nuts.

Scott Adams-
Yes, it sounds like your cogged belt is too tight. It's not a "fun" belt to adjust. Kind of a trial and error kind of thing.

Here's the excerpt from the manual on how it's done:

289600.jpg

The bearing housings on the mower deck spindles are not bored in the center, but the bearing is somewhat off-set in the casting. As you rotate that left casting, the centerline of the bearing will move to make the belt tighter/looser. If I remember correctly, you'll even find an extra set of holes under the left bearing spindle housing so it can move rotate at smaller increments. As the manual above hints, the right side only has one set of holes and has to rotate at 1/4-turn increments.

Bought a new belt for my tiller. Now all I got to do is get it in the ground.
289604.jpg

289605.jpg

Dennis,

That was exactly what I was looking for... Thank you.

The new set of spindles I got had grease nipples on the top of the shaft. Seems like a nice feature but I can not see where the Grease is distributed.
289608.jpg

Keith--nothing like a 12' belt!!! Those things are classic. It is a functional design for sure but hooking up an IH tiller on Cub is enough to make a priest swear! Once setup and hooked up they work fantastic, but watching my cousin hookup his tiller on his Case GT in about five minutes...
angry.gif

Yea I know...I'm all
1a_violin.gif

I have an original that hasn't been run in eight years and I am not familiar with the O creeper. The engine is free and the transmission shifts o k but the clutch is froze up and will not release. The creeper will not shift or I am not applying enough pressure on the shifter. Should the creeper shift easy or could it not shift because the clutch is stuck? I would appreciate
e some input on this. TIA
289611.jpg

Keith--in honor of getting your tiller "in the ground" I finally posted a video of my Cousin tilling his garden from back in 2012 with the Cub-Z (my son's appropriately named 125). If you get a chance you'll have to post some pics once you get your rig set up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wNGAmolBmE

greenthumb.gif

Joshua, Your right it was not easy installing it myself. I got the top brackets on the pins and then used a floor jack to raise the tiller and push the tractor back enough to connect the bottom brackets. It sure is quiet just running in the air. Cool video, I'll try to get the wife involved and make a video when I do the garden.

Keith--now that is using brain over brawn! Good idea with the floor jack. Another fun part of the process is keeping the short drive belt that is under the shield (if it is still on your machine). Trying to keep that from falling off and wedging between the shield and the large pulley is nothing short of a miracle! After the gymnastics and strength feat to get the tiller on the pins, followed by needing three arms and contortionist like maneuvers to get the short belt on, then you are ready to meet the original designer face to face to ask him what he was thinking among a few other questions!!! However, this all fades away when you drop it in the ground and put it to work. They do an amazing job of prepping the soil!

That would be great to see a video of that thing in action! Can't wait!

Latest posts

Back