• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through August 15, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlspicer

displayname
jlspicer
I would have to agree with everyone on the cyclops and not liking the plastic "sheet metal". I only own and will only own one cyclops, a 1782. Only reason I have it is the smoker under the "hood". The only other good thing IMHO that MTD did was the CV joint drive shafts. Keep 'em greased and they tend to last alot longer than the rag joints, especially in the diesels.

John,
Good points. Only thing is, your buddy's 2072 isn't a cyclops, unless I'm reading your statement wrong. It was the last of the Supers before the cyclops switchover.

On topic, gonna go out and play around on the 149.....
beerchug.gif

JOHN L. - I was looking for a 2072 for a couple years before I saw & bought my 982. Kohler Magnum engine, power steering, early 2072's I think still had the cast iron final drive housing like my IH built 982. YEP.... I'd take a 2072 ANY day of the week!

NONE of the cost cutting your alluding to had taken place by the time the 1872 & 2072 were built, and unfortunately, none of the problems IH never addressed were fixed either.

I remember in August or Sept '81 talking to a person in purchasing down at IH LVL. They were loading up DOZENS of semi-loads of parts... INTERNATIONAL HARVESTER PARTS to send to the Cub Cadet Corp to build into Cub Cadets. So the difference is really just a technicality.

Those little green tractors with yellow wheels have NEVER had a metal hood and they still have their fans.

Dennis F- Points and information well received with respect! Just giving you a friendly hard time. For a minute there, I was not sure I read what garden tractor I was looking at! That was my main reason for popping in. I live at/near Cleveland, so I'm a fan as well {1211} . Its really nice to have you here too as I take it you were some how employed by IH Cub Cadet. But Any ways,....

I happen to collect the IH Cub Cadets and some of which earn their keep simply by being saved from a scrap crusher. Well, got a lot to do in the morning on my 1450. Talk at ya all later!

JOHN - No, never worked with anything really to do with Cub Cadet... but did run the '63 Original Dad bought brand new a LOT, and also the new '65 #70 the O was traded in on... Bought my own CC, a #72 in Jan '81, and have since added a few more to the fleet.

I started work out of college at International's FARMALL Plant in Rock Island, IL, where they built the BIG ag tractors. I started working in the shop and worked my way up the ranks to various salaried positions and the day before the BIG strike of '79 & '80 ended, I interviewed for Management. But as everybody expected, IH was in for very hard times in the spring of '80, and upper management decided I was MUCH more valuable in my salaried position than on management. As it turned out, I'd have been out the door many months sooner on management than if I stayed salaried. I was at FARMALL in one capacity or another for almost five years, I also did a six week stint at IH East Moline Combine plant while on a short lay-off from FARMALL. While in material scheduling I dealt with other IH plants ordering & expediting parts into FARMALL for assembly, and have a great understanding about how the company operated.

IMHO, as far as process control, which MANY companies struggle with now days, IH was in a class of ONE back in the 1970's, their processes were ISO compliant decades before ISO was even thought of. International had communication satellites in space by 1980 for long distance phone calls, had a main frame computer network that was state of the art for heavy manufacturers back then. From my desk, I could punch ANY IH part number into the computer and it would spit back supplier name, IH plants or warehouses that used that part, open PO's they had for the part, stock on hand at ANY IH facility, historical usage, and brief description, and cost. From that same computer terminal I could instant message ANYONE at ANY IH facility that had access to a main frame terminal if I knew their terminal ID, and I could also access incoming orders for tractors & other equipment as well as incoming orders for purchased material. Every month we sent ALL our suppliers blanket PO's with a Firm accum order quantity plus one or two months more firm orders, plus various stages of forecast for material, labor, etc. Very elaborate system.

In my opinion, the ONLY thing they failed at was MARKETING, which had more to do with upper management letting marketing make terribly poor decisions about forcing IH into markets they shouldn't have entered.

Trying to get some more work done in preparation for fall plow day. Managed to get all my iron add on pieces run through the paint line a few days ago and hung up for there final color treatment.

289399.jpg

289400.jpg

289401.jpg

Anyone happen to have measurements for the extension brackets used to mount a snow blade on a 70/100? Thanks

TERRY - There's holes already drilled/punched in the mule drive attaching ears bolted to the frame on 70/100's, you don't even have to remove the idler pulleys. Just remove the horizontal bars that the mower deck attaches to.

Dennis - I believe it's IH 473922 R1 if I'm looking at it correctly. Called an extension brace.

I'm getting ready to put a #1 tiller on a 1650 and the belt that came with the tiller is a 48705 R2 (13/32 X 141.8).Its too short. Is 549250-R1 belt (7/16 X 143 7/8) The one I need? I do not understand this chart. http://cubfaq.com/belts4.html

Keith O.
Just follow the line across the page.
1, 1A, 2, 2B, 371 IH-61959-C1- 7/16 X 145 1/2" Long 800, 1000, 1200, 1250, 1450, 1650 & TRACTORS W/SN-530,000-665,000

Terry,

Check it out in the manuals section under blades & plows. Then click on "Front 42" blade operators manual-1"
They don't give the measurements on the bracket, but they show two ways to hook it up.

Marty/Dennis: went back to the manual and they do indeed show two ways of mounting. I'm looking for measurements for the extension brackets (item B) when not using the mowing brackets. Thanks

Thanks Charlie, looks like I need IH-61959-C1 (7/16 x 145 1/2)which is $45.00 instead of $85.00.

Just got my hands on a 50" mower and mule drive. my tractor is a 107 and mower came from newer model red cub with electric pto. mule drive slide right on and latched but it puts the belt into the pto release pivot. also has the deck to far to the rear. Can this deck be used on my tractor? and if so what needs to be changed? Deck that came with my tractor is a 38".

Hey John, I've put an 82 series deck on a std W/F. That takes "merging" the WF quick attach front piece to the 82 series carriage to get it to work.

I'm not sure about your WF to NF swap. Maybe the same kinda thing. Is your 50 inch deck from a std WF or 82 series? My 50c is an 82 series. meaning it had the offset front hangers and a 5/8 drive pulley.

Hi Guys

I did some searching and I didn't find any info on the board about this International mower my nephew found for me. I posted up at the Lawn Boy forum and facebook and got limited feedback. Has there been any discussion about these on this forum at all?

It runs, but needs a recoil. Found some on the auction site and also some new decals for it. Planning on restoring it next year to match my Red and White Cub 100 that I am working on.

Pictures in this link. http://www.pbase.com/dirtweed/international_mower

Darrin

289433.jpg

I recently found a red 782 and almost looks like new.Can some one tell me what wheel weights were on the red ones?
I also tried to send a picture of my 70 but the message went but pic didn't.Too big I think.When I get that figured out I will get a pic of the 782.What a machine it is.

Back