Archive through August 11, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul-
Nice "score" on #653. I still miss selling #696 and kick myself for letting it go...
bash.gif

What is the tag on the side of the pedestal from?

Keep us posted on your "resto" progress. <font size="-2">(I'm assuming you're going to resto it...)</font>
happy.gif

Art
The tag was installed (riveted) by the original seller/dealer and has the sellers name, Collegeville Equipment, and a number. They were/are in Collegeville, PA, and I'm told they put one of those tags on every thing they sold. Yes I will redo this one, and plan to keep it since I sold the other low numbers. This is the lowest "production" S/N I've had, the others were all pre-production numbers.

Paul-
"This is the lowest "production" S/N I've had, the others were all pre-production numbers."

Now that's just teasing us......
joker.gif

James Nixon; I put a new motor on A 147 a few years ago,And it had way to much vibration. After using it that way for six months i figured out what was wrong, I loosened the mounting bolts and lined the motor up straight with the drive shaft. Was and still is very smoothe for a 14 horse Kohler.
Paul; Nice find on the original.
Luther

Mike,

Nice score on the $100 129. I got a $150 one off of Ebay and it was a complete wreck, though after much work I made it respectable again. The good trunion bodes well for the condition of the rest of the tractor.

As far as the head goes, well, you know why the engine failed, and with the head off you can probably make a good guess as to the condition of much of the rest of the engine. If the plug is clean and there isn't oil on top of the piston you are probably good to go once you get a new head.

As someone who has mixed and matched Kohler parts over the years, here are a few tips:

Try to find a head that matches the configuration of the current head, with regards to the height of the bolt holes and spark plug location, or else you will be hunting down spacers, buying new head bolts, and cutting sheet metal to make it work. New bolts aren't a bad idea either. Check the spark plug hole as well, many used heads out there have stripped out threads or have inserts installed in them. Take my word for it, those inserts seem to stick to the plugs rather than the head, even if you Loctite them in. Finally, make sure the new head is flat. A thick piece of glass, a piece of fine grit wet or dry sandpaper, and some elbow grease will take care of minor warpage, more serious cases should go to a machine shop.

hello all weve been working on the 1450 it drives great real responsive on the drive but the lift is really slow and wont hardley lift the field plow i took the cylinder out and its welded on both end so i cant take it apart is there a way to check the cilinder ore could it be something else any advise would be great

Darren:
Unless the cylinder is leaking badly, or has a blockage in one of the ports (you should be able to check that by seeing if the cylinder will "pump" by sliding the ram in and out), I'd look for a blockage or an issue with the pump. Have you changed the hydro filter?

Luther,
Thanks. That will be a quick fix if it works, I really don't want to open up the engine again if it can be avoided.

Never sell a cub, fire arm, tool or your wife....well, 3 out of 4 is not bad.

Kendell
i changed the fluid and filter about a month ago the cilender doesnt leak a drop you can pull the cilender out and push it in but its all i can do to do it and i have to twist the end while im pulling on it but as soon as it moves it comes right out pretty easy the hard part is getting it to move

<font color="ff0000">HELLO TO EVERYBODY!!! i am new to the forum, as you can probably tell, i got my first Cub Cadet-a 126-just 2 days ago, i like it, does anybody think it would be a crimeto put a pipe where the exhaust is, and reposition the exhaust so it has a stack, since it was made with actual tractor parts? n i think it would make it look more like a tractor. i'll probably be getting 3 more Cub Cadets after awhile from an uncle who hardly throws anything away, another 126, and at least 102, he has another one that is in parts, but we think it may be another 102.</font>

Latest posts

Back