• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 30, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbaker

displayname
jeff l baker
Mud, trucks and tractors count me in. I don't think I will ever out grow that.

No cub cadet seat time for me today.

Hydro, the nut is not shown. It is however, according to the Parts Lookup, a 3/4-16 lock nut (aka nylock aka nylon insert lock nut).

Trucks, tractors and mud go together like PB & J. And my cubbies don't melt when you use water to wash them. Neither does my truck.

You two guys are like an old married couple... Geez.

For the record, if you actually use your cubbies regularly, more grease is better than less. All my stuff has grease zerks, and the get a pump of Lucas Oil racing grease every couple of uses.

Besides, if my front wheels are packed full of grease, the mud and water can't get in!

Front wheel bearings
Harry:
Thanks for the idea of pounding on the edge of the wheel to make the hole smaller it worked great. I should have thought of that but I didn't of course. That is why I posted it here. There is always other ways to do projects. I now have the bearings packed, wheels on and just about ready to go. Now the mower deck and I am ready.
There is such a vast amount of knowledge in this sight. I don't post often because I do not have the knowledge that others have, but once on while I can offer some thoughts. I learn a lot just by reading the post. Great sight
Thanks everyone
Earl LaMott

While working on changing my broken hydro fan last night (thanks Charlie!), I noticed that the fans - both old and replacement were molded in the city I work in. Thorgren Industries is just down the road from where I work. Been past their business hundreds of times and never knew what they molded there. Small world!

296260.jpg

296261.jpg

Very nice 129 w/deck going on the auction block for the cancer charity truck and tractor show this weekend at Earlville, IA Tri Stare Raceway.
Right in my back yard!

Hot off a cosmetic restoration w/new paint, decals, seat and tires that include a set of ag's.
Really sharp rig.

Show is open to all antique trucks and tractors.

http://www.tristateraceway.com/schedule/schedule.htm

Note to Charlie: Relocate this if need be, thought it would get more coverage here.

Kevin L - makes ya feel like your Cub is more a part of ya.

Earl L - glad I was able to help. Hope you addressed any end play you might have had.

Nic - like how you're thinking, er well, at least about the old married couple
happy.gif

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - dang'it I was hoping to see some of your red line artistry again

Jeff B - here's one for you
beerchug.gif

Kevin L.
Stop by that place on your way home and tell those goofs to make those fans out of something other than China plastic so they don't brake so dang easy!@@W#^%^$%^
angry.gif

Sorry boy's
I just spent 20 min's trying to tell you all how I fixed the 127 today, and when I tried to post the message, it said I didn't have some kind of "Argument"!
I don't have a CLUE! what that means!!

Earl - you run that wheel half the summer and pull it off and that bearing will fall out or at the very least pull out with one finger. The force of the weight and turning will form the tube back round again and your bearing gets loose. If your wheel has too much end play the bearing will continue to expand the tube.

Nic - my dog has more mechanical sense than your last post just showed!

Dennis: I'm with Nic on this one. Grease serves at least two purposes, lubricating the equipment AND keeping foreign material out, especially water.
By-the-way, the way you're posting messages could be construed as insulting towards Nic who has offered some valuable advice and experience with lubrication issues, particularly synthetic oil.
Most of us try to welcome people onto this site, not drive them away --just sayin'

Sure, sure... Mr Frisk,

Thank goodness for a free Internet. We are all allowed to have our own opinions.

I understand that you have years of IH work experience and bought more tires than anyone cares to talk about, but I just don't agree with many of your opinions.

But thanks for the heads up. And you must have a really awesome dog. He's probably smart enough to go back to the house and leave you in the garage with your wet wipes...

Dave,
What did ya figure out about your head studs/bolts?...........
err.gif

Jeremiah,
Nicely said.
beer2.gif

I have 3 44" mower decks for my 1450/1650 series cub's. I'm sure they were awesome by 1970's standards, however when comparing the cut and grass throwing capability to newer tractors well they just do not cut it. (Pun intended) By that I mean that the deck even with the speedup pulley does not throw the grass very far out and it pretty much lays on top of the lawn in large chunks. Maybe I need to cut twice a week instead of once??? Anyway in an attempt to improve things, I found a wheelhorse blade that is almost as long as the cub blade but is flat. I welded it to the cub blade at a 90 degree angle. The wheel horse blade cutting edge is about 3/16" of an inch different height than the cub blade. I'm thinking with 4 cutting edges per spindle and having slightly different heights it should chop up the grass finer and throw it out the chute further? Have yet to test it, what are the experts thoughts?

296276.jpg

296277.jpg

The cons I see would in increased bearing loads, higher startup torque required. Wish it was on a 82 series cub with the larger 5/8" drive belt.

Rob, have you ever tried a set of Gator brand blades?

ah come on, Dennis is still using the factory grease from the original purchase back in 1920 or something that his dogs grandpa installed.

seat time on the loader and dirt pusher today.
maybe pics too

Rob,
although that weld looks waaay better than anything I can do, I'd be concerned about the weakening on that joint from stress risers or occlusions when that thing gets up to speed. I'd rather see a mechanical means to index the 2 blades at 90 degrees, held together with the spindle bolt. Since you have a "normal" deck without the dinky 11" blades, I think a pair of Gators would be interesting... JMHO

Dennis - I appreciate your posts and hope we can just agree to disagree on many things. I also hope Earl will run his wheel half the summer as you said and then pull it off and see if the bearing falls out. I never said it would stay in tight. You did say something I strongly agree with - if the wheel has to much end play the bearing will continue to expand the tube. It's really not been talked about much on here but I believe it's critical that the end play be kept within the spec, in fact as little end play as possible. IH spec'd it at 1/32" max and that is definitely the max.

David S - on the studs, nuts and head..... I think maybe you missed my last meaning. I think I ended saying I wanted to get back to "talking" about "studs" and "nut heads".
happy.gif

Jeremiah - "just saying" nicely said.

Nic - where do you get your "free internet"? I gotta pay for mine. Use to pay the phone company and now I pay the cable company, both of which have monopolies and the absolute worst customer service ever provided to mankind.

Rob - interesting what you're doing with the blades. Have you addressed balancing? Gillette and Schick have gone to 5 or even 6 blades now, so in their theory what you're doing should improve the cut. Please make sure you let us know how they work.

And last but not least:
Jeff B - since you're getting seat time today I can't provide anymore to you. Post back at the end of the day and I'll give you
beerchug.gif

Rob N.

The 4 blade setup looks interesting. Let us know how it works. The only thing I would think is the increased bearing loads you mentioned, but if they are fairly balanced, that should be low.

Secondly, would be the amount of power it takes to drive 3 of those through tall grass. But again, try it out.

Also, make sure the bottom if the deck is nice and clean, smooth, and painted (best with slip plate) to keep grass from sticking.

Harry, I didn't mean free in dollars. Lord knows we ALL pay too much for Internet. I meant, free speech. So I can hide behind my keyboard and monitor (or iPhone in this case) and say things to Denny that I won't have the guts to in person. Not without getting hit anyways.

Latest posts

Back