• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 28, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good on the 169. All original with lift, hour meter and other goodies. Bot used in '76. Runs good.

Here she is:

Missing grill but all orig decals and 13 fin (Harry). Good headlights.
257906.jpg

Terry d. nice score, that seat looks a little uncomfortable, but should keep your rear-end quit.

Got the 12hp engine in my 149 Friday, crossed my fingers and hoped she would fire and run, this engine was a unknown runner I bought about 10 yrs ago and had been sitting on the shelf. I guess for now my 149 is a 129.

Ryan - really solid tractor! Still has original muffler and all. That's the good news. Bad news is I picked off CL for someone else! Oh well - least I can say I HAD one. It is cool tho how well it's survived.

Aww, Terry. Picked it off Craigslist for someone else? Will he/she join/is already a member of The Forum?
1a_scratchhead.gif
happy.gif

Harry Wrote "Paul and Jeff - well, it's interesting that "IH" would be the designer based on the never implemented the noise regulations. Do you think it was really Kohler's noise reduction efforts and IH "added" to it? Still wonder about the rubber ISO-mounts tho, which wouldn't assist in the noise."

and I'll add in that the D.o.T. actually has a rating system called NVH that stands for Noise Vibration and Harshness. All in regards to rating the relative "noisyness" of autos / trucks / vehicles. So maybe the OEM's were beginning to investigate ways of meeting standards that they knew were coming??

Harry,

I asked a similar question in here several months ago related to Quietlines and balance gears. I believe it was David Kirk who answered that no Quietline ever had balance gears. That makes a lot of sense to me because of the position of the oil fill tube/dipstick. It seems to me that the dipstick would land in the middle of the balance gears if they were presant in the engine with the oil tube in the vertical position. I think the older Kohler engines had the oil tube/dipstick at an angle extending lower into the crankcase; leaving room for the balance gears to work.

It makes sense to me that the balance gears had to be removed to get the vertical oil tube to fir and work properly, in order to accommodate the side panels. This would facilitate gas and oil service checks from the top only.

This is only guess. My opinion and 50 cents might get you a half a cup of coffee somewhere.

Dangit Terry! Those are the tractors you ought to keep for yourself!!
biggrin.gif
Anyway, its a good looking 169! The original muffler is worth a lot to a collector. Out of my three I only have one original muffler, and it's junk.

I hear ya Ryan! Bot it sight unseen and both me and the actual owner-to-be both got a nice surprise. Would be a really easy restore for sure and it does have the original muffler. Not perfect but def better than most. Kills me!

Looking good Terry.
Have you got it running?

Today I took apart some hydrostat pumps...
The first one looked okay inside even though they used car transmission fluid in it,lots of scratches on the brass part of the pistons,Looks like it had the original filter on it.The second had that tractor trans fluid in it and a incorrect filter on it,needless to say things didn't look good in there.Poked a hole through the case also.

257923.jpg

257924.jpg

Hey Terry, your neighbors called and wanted to know when you are getting that thing out of the middle of the street! :eek:)

Charlie - sorry about that knuckly. Missed the spell check to make it knuckle, but the jist was right.

Jeff - thanks for the support. Us W/F guys gotta support each other.

Don T - and thank you for your support, but I suspect it allows you to include the off topic comments about the 1512 and a tea shirt (I assume that's a T-shirt with a big ole off-brown spot on it).

Terry D - sure does look like a terrific candidate for restoration. I see it has a hydraulic lift and a right-angle gear box with tiller mount. Can't quite see the 3pt but assume it's there. Any chance you can get us the numbers from the tail light lenses???? Would like to know if the end number is 70 or 75. Those things are nearly gold these days as well. Wouldn't be nothing wrong with sending the tractor and engine serial numbers, and engine spec to Art as well, and make sure you call out 13 FIN!!!!! I see it also looks like they left the cast lower part of the manual lift arm rather than instaling a rockshaft, which is a little odd since it wouldn't give you the cam so you could have a floatup and locked level.

Mike F - boy it's a shame when I re-read my own stuff and see typos, duplicated words. I gotta stop typing.

Brian W - yes I recall seeing that info by David Kirk, and it still surprises me. I have checked the parts look up before and no, there are no balance gears listed for the AQS engines in the Quiet Line series. There are however 2 styles of dip stick tubes used on the 12hp and 14hp engines. The older versions have a hole in the side of the block (just behind the starter) for a sorta J style mount dip stick tube. The later versions had a hole in the top of the block directly above where the balance gears would have been. The 16hp is only shown with the J style side mounting tube so Kohler must have only used that style block going forward, at least for an AQS engine. I've seen this block used for 1x8/9 series replacements. You have to block off this hole and use a cam cover dip stick.

Frank W - sorry to see you're having problems with the governor in your 1200. Hoping that Dennis will come back again and help with your questions. I sure hope you can fix it externally without having to tear into the block. I just don't know the details on the governor myself.

Harry - will work on getting the numbers to Art and I'm not real sure about the rock shaft issue. It does have the 3 pt and spring assist and fortunately for whoever restores it the only rust I've found is a little in the battery box. The elderly fella that owned it was interesting in that he had cool stuff oozing from everywhere - garage, barn, etc but seems he still had plans for each and every item. Spyed the front end of an old Corvette and Camaro but he showed no interest in letting me meander around his "projects". Also had a really nice 108 but said that was his "backup mower" - thing probably hadn't moved for years! Very interesting day and I suspect the 169 will be seeing some plow time in the not so distant future with its new owner. He actually asked me if I wanted to keep it for myself but I bit the bullet and said no. Oh well, on to the next one.

Terry, Have you checked this morning to make sure it's still in the garage? Too many people here know your whereabouts.
err.gif
I wonder what that little Gem is worth? She looks like a beauty!

FRANK W. - There's a little needle bearing in the back bore the gov. shaft slides into. To get the bronze bushing in you need to have the shaft seated in that bearing. May take a little manuvering but the shaft should push into that bearing without any effort. Then tighten the bronze bushing.

If you didn't loosen the gov. lever from the gov shaft you may not have to readjust the gov. Just start the engine up and see, but be prepared to shut it off quick in case it runs away again.

Might also want to use a Phillips screwdriver on the small screw just to the right of the gov. shaft and make sure it's tight. That screw locks the gov. gear on it's shaft by sticking in front of the gear. If it comes loose you would probably strip the teeth off the gov. gear. And that does require considerable engine disassembly to replace.

John - like the fact that it's all there and even has all the original decals. Might keep your eye out as it just might pop up in your neck of the woods.

Latest posts

Back