• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 26, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, You remember that hundred I bought from you?
I put that engine in my 72, used as my primary mower and the snow blower. It just last year started to smoke a little. That was one heck of an engine. thanks.

Denny,
The PTO shaft on a Farmall Cub turns backwards, the same as it does on a Cub Cadet. Yes, the Cub Cadet goes thru the gear reduction which changes the direction, but don't forget the engine in the Cub Cadet is mounted backwards, so it turns CCW as viewed from the front, and a F Cub turns CC. The PTO in the Cub also turns at engine speed.

Anybody else notice the tractor pulling the original deck, Steve B posted, is a tricycle.

My "O" is killing the battery. I unhooked the "-" terminal and am drawing almost 3 amps. I suppose that would explain it. Anyone have any experience with this? It just started doing it recently. thanks tim p.

Well the verdict is in. It appears that one of the syncro gear bracket fasteners came loose starting a chain reaction of distruction that ultimately ate the crank gear, cam shaft gear and governor assembly all the while gnawing on the cam shaft bearing support. Opened up the case to a small handful of screws, brackets, broken parts and metal shavings. Now the big question is, being that it's in such good shape, how to repower it. Any thoughts?

I have pics but they are too big to post so I put them here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/27293331@N06/sets/72157626587483498/

Tim, 3 amps is huge. Should be easy to find as there are not that many wires in the harness. While reading the amperage draw start disconnecting leads. Also clean all your grounds while your at it.

Robert Klein

That is a mess. What do you plan to re power your tractor with ? I see a diesel out of a 1512 back in march for sale and a K17 in the selling section.Both are worth the money ask I would think.Depends on how attached you are to the tractor because its costly to buy another engine. I hope you can find a good deal.
feint.gif

Dale M.,

That’s cool, good application. Did he use the original keyway shaft on the angle drive? I guess it wouldn’t matter which direction the shaft rotated on a sickle mower?

Has anyone ever re-engined with a 10hp air-cooled diesel. I'm looking at a Launtop (asian make) for under $600 which seems to have the right dimenisons.

Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)

That is a sweet looking 100 you have with the hyd lift. I had hopes to refurb my 100 some day.I had my 149 out for a drive yesterday and have a no charge issue, worked fine when I put it away a few days ago.I will have to see what is up with that tractor. My wife is off work for this week of vacation and I will get nothing done with her home lol. Oh well its only this week. later Don T

Morning Denny !
coffee.gif

I don’t know, it just seems inherently wrong to put a Chinese POJ into an American made machine.

I came across another 129 with hydraulic lift last night. It popped up on cl and a friend called to let me know. The seller was asking $250 and I didn't really want to drive the 45 minutes to where it was so I asked if he would take $200 if I came right now and he agreed. I didn't think he would but for that amount I couldn't refuse. It's a little rough but I have other 129s that the hyd. lift can go in.

I have a question for any and all. Did the 1650 ever come with aluminum axle tubes? I thought they came after the turnover to MTD.

TIA.

A farmer I worked for back in the late 70's used a Cub Cadet 72 to run his bale elevator. At one point while I was working for him we changed out the old 7hp for a new 10hp. I checked a few years back to see if he still had the 72 but it was long gone. Interestingly he still had the elevator.

224650.jpg

Morning DON!

WAYNE - I'm not an expert on Q/L's but I thnk the 1200/1250/1450/1650 did get the diecast rear axle carriers late in their production run, and also the BIG heavy cast grill surround was cast from aluminum as well.

TOM H. - I knew twisting a flat belt would reverse the direction. By the time I was old enough to be around equipment Dad had abandoned anything run with a flat belt, everything was PTO powered. Made stuff much more "Portable".

DAVE R. - Amazing how long you can drive with a dead alternator. I drove most of the way from Aurora, IL back to Madison one afternoon in my '87 F150 with a dead alt. It was a RECORD COLD week in Jan in about '94, High temp for the week was Minus 20 Friday afternoon when I went to Aurora. Like you, no heat, no lights, clear and cold so didn't need wipers. Finally about 2 miles from home people started thinking I needed head lights. All I could think of was ALL the elec. fuel pumps, ignition modules, etc sucking the last bit of power from my battery and where the truck would finally "Die".

KRAIG - Those elevators are actually starting to become worth more $$$$ now. They make excellent feed bunks for cattle. You unbolt all the sections and set one section on top of another and make a few tack welds to hold them together.

I understand your angst. Howerever, IH was the first to employ a 15-horsepower three-cylinder water-cooled Kubota diesel in the models 782D making them the first Cub Cadets to have a diesel engine. All 782D models were painted IH red, while an identical model, the 882 Diesel, was painted in the usual yellow/white scheme.

Kubota Corporation (Š”Ž®‰ïŽÐƒNƒ{ƒ^, Kabushiki-gaisha Kubota?) (TYO: 6326, NYSE: KUB), is a tractor and heavy equipment manufacturer based in Osaka, Japan. The company was established in 1890.

My unerstanding is that the Launtop is a DIRECT knockoff of the Yanmar LA series.

China...Japan... Not American.

Back