Archive through April 24, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harry _ I have too, but hesitated to recommend something that done wrong would either melt the float pivot bosses, or warp the carb body.. A micro torch would be one type I'd use..... but make sure the carb is totally dry and no gas in the float itself.. (it has happened....)
lazerburn.gif

Should I be using something other than regular carb and choke cleaner to soak the pin? I've been using a can of gum out carb and choke

Brian E.

All the carbs I have worked on the pin slides out with little force if any. The picture seems to show a mark on the right pin mount, like it has been peened with a flat screw driver or chisel. If that is the case it should still come out with a reasonable amount of force. A small arbor press might be what you need. I would not use a large torch, that would risk melting the solder on the float. A mini torch would be my last resort to heat up the pin mounts. The hope would be that the hole expands more than the pin does.

Have you tried PB Blaster?

I've got a number 2 that I use for general purpose stuff. It's decent; I like the fenders BUT it's almost impractical when it comes to dumping something out of it like dirt. I almost wish I could find someone that would trade it for a #4.

I am going out on the limb and say no to #3 and maybe on the international

Wait I can feel the
bottom.gif
coming, so I may be wrong..

David S,

Cubgratulations, yep it's a #3. The picture Kraig posted is likely a preproduction/prototype unit that had the "International" and the number "3" decals on it along with the IH decal. I know for sure there was never a #3 decal on the production units and I don't believe the "International" decal was present either. We had one of those #3 trailers at our dealership that I pulled behind my Cadet 60 when I was a kid back in the late 60's. Wow, that brings back some memories.

Thanks Ron, kinda had a hunch that's what the deal was. It's in a lot better shape that what I expected and after going out on a limb, sight unseen with no pictres and darn near 100 miles one way, I would sure hate to have had it turn out to be a wild goose chase!
BTDT TOO many times in the past!

But....I'm afraid it would look too out of place behind "Casey"!!

Great success! Patience is a virtue... I got bored of watching it sit and soak so I hung it up outside and gave it a good spray down (might as well have fun no?)

Got it back to the bench and gave it a good blast with the hair dryer (dont tell the mrs!) and a couple of light taps later she started moving

Fast forward 15 minutes and out she came...

So then I pull the float needle seat out and what do I see, a whole bunch of junk and dirt... That explains it...

Blasted it all out, put it all back together (I cleaned the pin holes out by rolling a same sized drill bit between my fingers which got a lot of crud out and the pin went back in easy) got everything back on the tractor and when I opened the gas shut off, she flowed like a champ!

Cept' now the kids are in bed and the horses are stalled so firing it up isn't an option tonight (booo)

Here's hoping for a nice surprise tomorrow when I get home from work.

Thanks for everyones support thus far
beerchug.gif

David S.: I had one given to me a few years back in similar condition. It was original paint and IH decal but did not have the International decal. I sold it because it really wasn't made for Cub Cadets, but rather for rear engine riders and lawn tractors neither of which I have. I put it on a well-known auction site because nobody I knew wanted it. It sold for $340!

Latest posts

Back