• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 24, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Donald E,
The pull start models had a belt pulley built into the pull starter the belt went down to the drive shaft/line, when you pulled the rope two dogs would come out and engage into this pulley. The belt went down to the drive line/shaft. This was so they could use the old Farmall Cub rear end in the new Cadet line. So they were not direct shaft drive. They used the parts they had to launch the Cadet line IE: the Farmall rear end, later on they changed the kohler oil pan to set the motor lower in the frame then the drive shaft lined up straight/direct drive.

In the 1A tiller manual, it stated the gear box can be rotated and used as a power take-off to operate other equipment other than the tiller. What other equipment?
224570.jpg

Paul A, Donald E,
On the K161T engine used in the 1961, 62, 63 Originals, the drive pulley on the back of the engine that the belt to the clutch was on, had a "cup" in it. The recoil unit mounted to the flywheel housing and the "dogs" Paul A talked about fit in that "cup" and would engage the sides of the cup when the rope was pulled to turn the engine. On the model 70-72, the recoil unit was mounted on a "coffin plate" (so named because of its shape) that bolted to the front of the engine. The recoil mounted to the top of the plate where a cupped pulley had a belt down to the large pulley on the crankshaft (same as was used on an electric start version). The pictures are of the recoil on my Original S/N 653. I do not have a picture handy of the recoil on a 70-72, but you can see it in the engine service manual for those models or maybe Kraig has a picture of one.
224572.jpg

224573.jpg

Paul A.
I forund these pictures that are not too clear, but are pictures of the recoil on a model 72 I had.
224575.jpg

224576.jpg

I am heading out to my 149 does anyone have any thoughts on my post at the bottom of this page concerning part number 22 on the hydraulic lift

Jeff B.
Some take them off to get down and up pressure on what they have attached to the tractor rather than putting the float lock out pin in.
I have a 1450 that's been hooked direct since I've owned it, only because I'm to lazy to put the bracket on, LOL

Thanks Charlie, I will put it on since it is there and I have it opened up and just gets cotter pinned.

Here's some photos of the "coffin plate" pull start as used on the 70, 71, and 72.

224578.jpg

224579.jpg

224580.jpg

NORM B. - IH didn't make any implements powered by the rear PTO used on the gear drive CC's and I've also never seen any info on ANY PTO powered implements using the tiller gearbox turned like that. I'm actually surprised that fact is even mentioned in the manual since nothing was ever built to use that type of drive. Maybe IH planned on creating attachments but never got "a round tuit". ;-)

First rear PTO powered rear attachments I'm aware of were for the SGT's w/ Cat O 3-pt, rear PTO, etc. There was a 2000 RPM bush hog type rough cut mower and a roto-tiller.

That's curious. I looked at mine and the holes are there for turning the drive. The shaft is not splined but has a keyway. RPM is 1800 so sounds about right. Too bad somebody didn't put it to use.

Latest posts

Back