Archive through April 22, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don T, I seems to me that a cable from the bolt where the hood attaches to the "nose piece" to the head stud was the hood stop fix.

I have never had to adjust this but it can't be too hard.
here are some pics for Jeff K to reference

238177.jpg

238178.jpg

238179.jpg

Thanks again Matt G.

I got that seal from McMaster-Carr, and it was just what I was looking for!

Quick PTO question. I gather the gear drive Cub Cadets had an optional 540 RPM PTO at the rear? Can you tell me about it? Was it available on the Hydro Cub Cadets too?

What was the purpose of this PTO? Did anyone ever use it to drive a small towable bush hog type mower?

Just curious as to the history of the PTO and when, why and what it was used for.

Thanks!
Bill

Bill J the rear pto was not very usefull it ran at 540 rpms and spun backwards
sorry i can't tell you more,,, there is some info on it in the owners manual on page 17

Jeff B - thanks for posting the pics of your blade/brake PTO clutch set up. Unfortunately Jeff K's unit needs more than an adjustment.

Jeff K - for everyone's benefit this style PTO clutch assembly is commonly referred to as a Blade Brake style. My understanding was the Lawn Mower standards at this time required the blades to stop within a certain amount of time so IH developed this brake for the PTO. It does work well, but tends to rattle after some usage, and is more costly to repair.
Now, specific to yours, you can see in Jeff B's pic you are missing the "brake disc" from your assembly. It's the round metal disc with 3 fingers on it attached to that center thrust button on the front of the PTO assembly. Also your thrust button is wore down and has no grove for the wave washer and snap ring which are also both missing (and hard to see in Jeff's pic). Also, your brake shoe has almost all the brake lining wore off (as Matt noted), and part of the spring appears to be missing off the screw. You can repair this blade brake PTO clutch assembly but it will involve removing the PTO clutch assembly, then disassembly to replace the thrust button, re-assembly to include the missing brake disc, wave washer and snap ring, and then a new brake disc and screw with spring on the actuating lever. My recommendation is to convert your PTO back to the earlier style used on your series tractor. You still have to remove and disassemble the clutch, and install the old style thrust button, and remove that screw on the lever and install a fiber button, or go with bronze for a life time of wear. You can see a good explosion of the parts if you view the Cub Cadet Parts lookup link at the heading of this page (click it and select Garden Tractor, then select your 109 and then select Engine Driven Power Take-off, You have a serial number brake and yours will be the newer or higher number version but look at the older version for the parts differences). The only thing I don't know is if your actuating lever is the same for both the old and newer style clutches (the parts list calls it a PTO Rockshaft Assbly). I'm certain you can get one of these used if necessary but I really think it's the same and the fiber or bronze button will fit right into it.
Hope this is helpful.

Bill, Jeff. On the IH cubs, because of the 7-1 reduction the speed is really 515, it's an extension of the top shaft in the transmission so it's only available on gear drives, Untill you get into the red tractors then the rear PTO is a different animal, driven off the back side of a hydro, and I think is 2000 rpm. The older gear drive PTO was an option for farmers. the elevators at the time had a PTO shaft that could be changed from side to side. change sides and the cub could pull it. A guy on here has a pull behind cycle bar mower. That kind of mower doesn't care what direction it turns. At a RPR years ago a guy made a pull behind mower out of a cub deck using a 90 degree gear box driven off the gear drive PTO. I never saw it run, it was all owner built but looked cool. The only thing that comes to mind for the red tractors PTO is a rototiller built for that set-up.

I will have to confirm it but I believe the hole in lever that pushes on the pto clutch on the brakeshoe style is larger than the hole on the thrust button style.

I will have to compare some of mine later today

Dave thanks for the rpm speed clarifacation

Hey Ryan, I know this is really rather late to respond to your battery question, but all we use at work are Deka brand batteries. Personally, it doesn't matter to me, (As long as I get what I pay for) but my boss says in his 30 years of running and owning the dealership, he believes Deka is the best lawn and garden battery you can get. I must admit, they do work very well and (seem) to be reasonably priced.

Well I found my oil leak , Now as you all know, I replace the pan gasket twice and never notice the leak till today.

board-post.pl

board-post.pl

so I gave it a good cleaning and now will see if I fixed the leak.

board-post.pl

Latest posts

Back