• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 21, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken,

I said heat treating makes them hard and tempering makes them tough. By tough I meant less brittle among other properties; should have explained it better but didn't want to get real technical.

KEN - 5/8" head or 5/8" THREADS? Kohler head studs are 3/8"-18, which is the same as the 351 Windsor Ford rod bolts...which would be plenty long enough for the Kohler head application. Not sure what a SBC has but 90% sure they're 3/8"-18.
Better watch what You say about "Machinists" I said something to the plant Mgr. of the one machine shop I deal with that one of My Engineers said something in the Machinist's Handbook was wrong. I never made that comment to Him again! My handbook isn't new by any means, #22 Edition from Feb. '84 but I bet it's still accurate for 99+% of the information. Plus I have the ASM Metals Desk Reference at home. #1 QA Manager at Giddlings & Lewis Machine tool explained "Toughness" to Me one afternoon as it pertained to drive keys for machine tool spindles. His answer was longer than what I cared to type here. So if My explaination is less than precise I apologize.
He talked non-stopfor over a half hour....I wasn't going to type all that.

Steve B. HOWDY!!!
wave.gif
I can't believe the dealer wouldn't know that simple question's answer. Hy Tran for the hydraulic pump. Is that the 102 that you got two years ago with the rear pto? Nice little machine. You'll have to post some pictures of it for us. You'll have to stop over sometime and view the additions to the fleet. Angel & I now reside in Colo.

Off to the Doc's now.... later All.

Karl,
I am not much of a Rear PTO guy but I think there are two issues. The first is that they rotate in the wrong direction, some might even say they are worthless. The second issue is that they require a gear drive tractor, which the 147 is not.

Dennis - I said I had to drill it bigger because it was stripped. I should have said 1/2" though ! I didn't say it was the wrench size.

Digger - Ya could'a sent that bagger down this way !
I had to take out the mulcher plug when a blade locked up with grass and stalled the belt
angry.gif
Those 3 nights of lower 20's killed half the stuff that had greened up ... including my grass. That's Gators and yes the color is correct ... on my 19" LCD anyway.
55704.jpg

Terry, like I said I am real dumb when it comes to this but the book says a rear pto is available for the 147 and also says it turns counter clockwise looking at the back of the tractor.The 147 does not have a belt on it except for the front pto and the mower deck belt that is one reason I thought this 147 was a gear drive, but I alos learned a long time ago not to believe every book I look at thats why I was asking you since you have 4 147s and from reading your posts and looking at the pictures you posted I would say you would be a great person to ask about this stuff, the reason I was asking about a rear pto I was wanting to try and use a rear bushhog attached to it after I get it to running.

KEN - Son had a Professor in College who had written a substantial portion.....Prof claimed 1/3! of the Machinist's Handbook....Same Prof. never even heard of "FRICTION Welding" Danged school calls every night begging for $$$$$$. They already got over $100,000 from Me and that's ALL they're getting. So "SOMETIMES" I take a little dash of SALT with what the "Experts" Say and pay attention to what the people who are making it "WORK" actually say.

Ohhhh, And don't be so sure Your older than I am.....I'm the oldest person MY Age I know.. Except for maybe Charlie!

Dennis- We all know Charlie is old as mud with Ken running a close second. Now that trophy they can have!!
err.gif

Charlie + Terry.. Wasn't there a picture posted a long time back of a front PTO/hydro that had a monster belt all the way back to a right angle drive onto the rear plate ?

Latest posts

Back