• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through April 15, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, now the whole story. I decided not to use ramps and go with the tilt feature (like you do with a snow mobile). Well, I got it all the way up, then I tried to shift my weight forward to tilt it down, and there she went! right off the front. No damage. It landed on the lower grille frame. I went on and plowed a new garden for my niece. From now on I plan on using the ramps! And it took me and a friend to get it back on. Fun stuff

DAVE R. - I'm glad I wasn't the ONLY one to notice the rear tires on Brian's tractor!

I used to use my old snowmobile trailer to haul my Cubs. Never any fun driving forward enough to get the bed to tilt level.
icon_eek.gif
I had a front barrier (Splash guard for when I hauled snowmobiles) that would prevent over driving but still no fun. Here's the trailer in use to haul home a parts 125.

237905.jpg

Yes, tires are backwards! I'm too lazy to switch them. Now that you noticed I HAVE TO DO IT!

I can't say alot, I about did the same thing when I loaded my 3/4 ton dodge on the trailer last fall. I needed it to go forward about a foot and a half. When I pushed on the truck the balance dropped the front of the trailer (the reason I was moving the truck forward) which let the truck roll easier. There was a moment of shere terror when I looked up and realized what was happening. A scare like that can cause your kids to be born naked.

Brian J - I always wondered how those quick attach latches, on the front under the frame, got bent into a crescent moon shape. You usually see it on the narrow frame tractors, but now I know how it happens for sure on the wide frame units.
And don't go switching those tires around - you get better reverse traction the way they are.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and some go backwards better than forwards)

HARRY said - " don't go switching those tires around - you get better reverse traction the way they are."

Reminds me of the year DAD mounted the duals on the 4010 "Backwards". Had a wet spring that year, all the sloughs were wet, We "Planted" the 4010 a couple times pretty good. The duals being on backwards didn't make it BACK out of any wet spots easier.

Nice thing about duals on a field work tractor, they're a magnet for mud. Get even half-way close to a wet slough and they'll turn you right into the deepest part of the mud! The set of wheels closest to the mud spin just a bit and the set of wheels on dry ground pull you right in.

Brian J - if you were plowing, but really tilling with that fine machine, I understand exactly why the tires are on CORRECTLY - to keep the tiller from pushing the tractor.
old.gif

Hydro Harry - how am I doing? Should I stick with just asking questions...
1a_scratchhead.gif

Bill J - yup, doing pretty good there (I like your theory to). HEY!!! where's your pics of the cradle mod. I've been waiting all weekend.
animatedihbear.gif

Hydro (Bear) Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (I also know the Correct Police)

Harry - the cradle mod got put on the back burner. My Brother, the crack welder, was going to tig it, but ran out of argon gas. The store he buys it from wasn't open over the weekend, so he bought some today. Problem is - I've got about 2-1/2 weeks of continuous business travel I've got to do and so the whole 1650 is on the back burner until I get back.

My plan for this 1650 is to get it back together, get it running, learn it's ins and outs and then plan a full-up restoration, paint, decals, etc., at some point down the road.

I ain't very fast in my old age, but I'm enjoying this Cub Cadet and reading/learning about all of them as I go at a snell's pace.

ihrotate.gif

Harry,
I took the day off from working on the tractor (actually I worked late at my day job reorganizing my spares inventory). Left on the list is to install the front engine mount bolts, generator, driveshaft, add oil, then hook up the wiring and gas tank before I can fire it up. I also need to sharpen the mower blades and fix a broken grease fitting on the left hand spindle of the mower deck while it is off.

Bill J - ok, you're off the hook for now. I don't want any rush jobs. Hope you got the cradle figured out. Your last post about it you mentioned you thought the cradle had to be attached to the engine before you installed it. It can't be done (that I know of). Since you have to put a ISO-mount on each side of the crade where each bolt goes thru, there is just no way to do that - which is why I thought you were mixing things up. Hey, there is an old story about seeing alot of yellr and white as you take your trips down the road. Keep an eye out even when you're on your business.

Bruce N - what ever you do please don't forget to add the oil - in fact you might want to put that 1st on your list.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and renewing them is real fun)

When David Kirk built my K301 he put this tag on the dip stick.

237935.jpg

Smart move so that the other dip stick wouldn't forget to add the oil before the first start.
yikes.gif

Well I had some cub time this weekend. I did wash my two cars and my truck and my 129 loader. Oh the 1500 Nomad got a bath also.The wife wants me to wash and wax my fifth wheel camper. I`am looking to hire that one out lol.In the am I will pull the 125 base pan and switch it out. I`am thinking it must have a crack somewhere.My brother said I could use iron fillings and a magnet to find the crack , so I will give that a try. The wife is back at work so now I can get back at my 125 again. Later Guys Don T

237938.jpg

Got to do a little plowing this past weekend the ground was dry and sandy with little cover plant. Kinda hard to get traction and verrrrry dusty but fun none the less.

Harry - here are some pics of the oil pan and the engine cradle setting in the 1650 frame.

The first pic is a close-up showing the pan and the my finger pointing to where the bolt would come up into the pan from underneath - holding the bracket to the pan.

237945.jpg

The next pic is the pan and cradle brackets zoomed out.

237946.jpg

The reason I ask about installing the engine cradle into the tractor frame first, vs attaching it to the engine and dropping that engine/cradle assy into the frame is - if you look, the bolt position where I am pointing on the first pic is located over the axle. I don't think you can get access to the underside of the engine to attach the cradle to it when it's setting over the axle. The other bolt locations to the rear are easy to get access to.

When I took the engine out, I tilted it forward almost 90 degrees and brought out the engine and cradle at the same time, but it was not easy.

Have I got something backwards?

Bill,

If I remember correctly, if you raise the front end and then tilt the axle as far as it will go, there is just enough room to install/remove the engine mounting bolts over the axle. It seems like I used several different wrenches, gear wrenches, and ratchet/socket combinations to get each bolt in and out.

The good thing is that with the brace installed the cradle doesn't move. Without the brace the rails wanted to roll to the center making the bolts bind and hard to remove and especially hard to get started when installing. Good luck!

Bill J - you said "I don't think you can get access to the underside of the engine to attach the cradle to it when it's setting over the axle." Yes you can. The axle channel should have oval hole areas where the bolts go that attach the cradle to the front of the engine. (Make sure you have a good look at those oval holes. Sometimes there is a crack in the axle channel from the hole on the left side going across and down the channel - if it is make sure you get it welded up). My suggestion, to save you alot of knuckle busting, multiple word phrases, etc., and since you're going to work over the front axle channel anyway, once you have the axle channel tightened up so the axle fits snug, just leave the axle off until you get the cradle and engine re-installed. You'll save yourself alot difficulty getting at the bolts if you had the axle installed. To get at the bolts with the axle still installed you have to jack the frame up with the tires off the ground such that when you push down on one tire it will almost touch the ground. This gives you access to the bolt hole on that side of the channel. You have to make sure you block the axle before you stick your fingers in there to put the bolt in place or you risk getting them pinched/squished.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and there sometimes more than one way to put them back together)

Back