• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Air Compressors

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using air compressors daily in body shops and other shops for 35 years and what I have found is that there are three things they go by on air compessors...H.P., CFM, and tank size. H.P. really means nothing, it is just a selling point...The most inportant is CFM, as this is what keeps your tools running, especially if you are sanding or painting where you have continous demand...Tank size is important too, but all that does is hold the reserve air until needed.. When I look to buy a compressor, I look at the pump...I prefer a pump that has two cylinders as it will put out much more air than a one lunger..Also the pump should have a good oiling system..Some cheaper ones are oiless, And they are fine if you do not use it much, But it is not designed for continuous use..The bottom line is, Buy the largest compressor you can afford,Because once you have it, you will use it more than you think...

KEVIN - "..The bottom line is, Buy the largest compressor you can afford,Because once you have it, you will use it more than you think..."

Yep, as I look in the drawer of my tool box where I keep all my air tools, That is THE TRUTH!

Wayne, Dennis, Kevin, and Bruce: Well, I've made my purchase. I went to Tractor Supply to purchase a unit that compares to Wayne's installation with Denny's and Kevin's advice ringing in my ears.

I wanted to buy the 3.5 HP unit, and I had enough money left over to buy a second, portable 120V unit, but I hesitated. The 3.5 HP compressor looked so puny next to the 5 HP units.

Plus, it turns out that that regular price of the 5 HP / 80 Gal / 2-Stage "Industrial" unit was the same as its "sale" price over Christmas/New Year. But it still seemed like over-kill to me, I wondered if the 2-stage feature was worth the additional $150.00. I must have wandered around the store for 45 minutes while I thought things over. Finally, I went back and read the labels of each unit: (1) the 3.5 HP / 60 gal / single-stage; (2) the 5.0 HP / 60 Gal / single-stage; (3) the 5.0 HP / 80 Gal / two-stage. It turns out that both (1) and (3) turned over 1,300 RPM, while (2) turned only 975 RPM, so I went for it. It is rated for over 18 CFM continuous duty for everything short of 3/4" impact wrenches. (The 3.5 couldn't handle a sander continuously.)

I've learned a lot about air compressors from you guys, and it has helped me make a decision which I can justify and with which I think I'll be happy.

You can check out the details on the Ingersoll-Rand page for "small compressors:" I-R Compressor Model SS5L5

In the Truck:
234606.jpg

Model SS5L5:
234607.jpg

Bruce: I'm still working on the installation details. I'm going to make sure to find and air dryer and at least make room for it before I bolt this puppy down to the floor.

Dennis & Kevin: Thanks for the encouragement to "go large," even if I probably didn't as large as either of you probably would have.

Wayne: I'll keep you posted on the noise factor: I'm hoping it will be fairly quiet, at least quieter than the oilless one I had a few years ago. I got rid of it because it was so noisy.
smile.gif

Jeremiah, I think you made a wise choice..18 CFM should be enough for anything you are planning for yourself, including painting..Now you may want to decide were you want to put it..If you are able to put it outside of your work area, In a closet or something similar, It will cut down a lot on the noise and also keep the air filter cleaner..Plus it will cut down on being a fire hazard if you are doing a lot of painting..

Jeremiah, you will be happy with that compressor as my cousin just bought the same one and him and I have been using it to restore his 49 Willies jeep and it does great, it is so good that when mine dies (newer crapsman 33gal oilless 175psi) I'm going to get one also, just my 2 cents.

Kevin and Eric: Thank you for the vote of confidence.

Kevin: I checked out your link, but I'm having difficulty fully comprehending a zig-zag tower of 2" black pipe. The last time I priced 2" pipe, it made the price of the compressor cheap in comparison! I wish the link to the drawings worked.

It looks like I've still got a lot to learn about compressed air.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Back