• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

#450 Snowblower Gearbox Removal?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kraig-Jim, Art

Jim if that will fit over the gear box spline and is not to large that the second stage impeller can be drill for the insert to fit ; Well " I want one " . I will count the splines on my gear box in the am and post. I also measure the shaft and hole for the shaft in the impeller. Has anyone got any idea of a cost for the insert?? Got to be way cheaper that what Charlie wants (150.00$) I have my fingers crossed.

Ok , I did have a look at the spline on the gear box on the 450 snow blower and see it has 13 teeth.I need to know the OD of the spline repair kit to know if it would work. Jim D , I hope you can tell us what the OD is.

255379.jpg

Charlie "Digger" Proctor

Well I looked at your site under snow blowers and I don`t see a listing for that . So I can`t say you are over priced. On the impeller price of 150.$ ; well the time I got it over here I bet it would be over 250.$ and well that is much for me.Could you shoot me a price for that 450 snow blower spline repair.

Sweet, Charlie! Imagine having one on hand. Have you looked at the impeller application, curious if it would possibly fit and work....

Jim D.
According to my inventory sheets, I've got 6 of each of the kits shown.
Problem is, they are in a 42' semi trailer full of NOS parts that's not been opened or unloaded since the move 4 freakin years ago, LOL
I just happened to have that one inside for some reason, LOL

I think we need to have a trailer unloading day at Charlies sometime this spring...
happy.gif
happy.gif

Charlie "Digger" Proctor

You would not believe what Kohler wants for that part. They want more than you want for the second stage blower
bash.gif
bash.gif

Don-
That's an interesting find..

Your post prompted me to take off my slippers and run out to the garage with a tape-measure in hand. Surplus Center says that coupler is 7/8" and the spline on the end of the gearbox looks to be 3/4" or maybe a tiny bit bigger, but certainly not 7/8".
1a_scratchhead.gif
I think that may be one of those "close-but-no-cigar" kinds of things.

Don't worry, we'll find an inexpensive fix...

Jim-
How did you fix your snowblower?

Honestly, I have yet to see this problem with my impeller (fingers firmly crossed)but it does cause concern every time I flick on the PTO switch
feint.gif

Maybe Charlie can share the dimensions of that Kohler part for comparison to Surplus Center's?
Might be the same dimensionally, which means no help for us.

If that's the case we need to keep searching for an insert, it's not like MTD would generate their unique spline (I think?)

PS> I cannot get the drawins for the Kohler spline due to "not being there"

I measured my shaft and it came out at 0.849 so 7/8" is correct I think .
1a_scratchhead.gif

Art- I think you should check you shaft and report back to us.If you guys agree I will order one . heck $7.05 looks good to me .

Jim- I`am going to order on tonight . If Art wants to Wait till I get it and welded in then he will know if it is a good cheap repair.you might have a spare for your 450 . I think they will all fail and it would have been nice to have a repair part handy.

I will have to call to order the spline sleeve. I filled out the online order for and the shipping was all most 30$ . Dang a 7.05$ part should not cost that much to ship.I just sent 4.08 kg box to Charlie for 32.97$, so they are a rip off for the weight of the spline. GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR
bash.gif

Don-
I'm glad you didn't order that part. I was going to order one, and the shipping came to $13, so I cancelled the order. (I guess I'm getting cheap like Charlie!)

I checked our local Fleet Farm this morning, and they have nothing with a 13-spline, but then I got to thinking and found this:

The price is nearly the same as the one you found, and it's the same "Surplus Center" but for some reason when they sell through eBay, the shipping is reasonable.

I ordered (ahem) 'more-than-one' of them because his shipping is "combined", so the extras were shipped for free. If this thing ends up fitting my gearbox, you'll be able to set up a lawn-chair next to the mailbox and wait for one to show up from Wisconsin!
wink.gif

Latest posts

Back