• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

What to look for when buying a 1872/2072

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
Larry-
An 1872 is technically "off-topic" on the main board, so I've set up a topic here. Below are some things you want to look at before you purchase.

1) Check for "play" in the steering set up. Watch the front axle and wheels as you barely move the steering wheel from left to right and back again. Do the front tires respond right away, or does the entire axle sway front to back before the wheels turn? Also, put a hand on each ball-joint and have someone again barely move the steering wheel from left to right to check the ball-joints for wear.

2) Take a socket wrench with a 9/16 socket on it and check all of the bolts that go through the frame and into the transmission case just inside of the rear wheels. These aluminum transmissions are good units, but they can have stripped off or broken off bolts in them. (Been THERE, done THAT!) Might as well check all of the bolts around the rear-cover-plate since you're there with the wrench anyway...

3) Along with the usual check for "smoke" or "odd-noises" when the engine is running, take a look at the spark-plug leads (with the engine shut off). Are they old and cracked at the ends, or do they appear to be "replacements"? If they're showing their age, be prepared for a future magneto replacement. The magneto is under the flywheel tin. The engine will have to be removed to facilitate changing this "not very cheap" piece. It could run for 1 month like this, or 10 years, but at some point it will probably need to be done.

4) When you start the tractor, how does the starter engage the flywheel? The starters on these Magnum 18's are good units, but they get dirty and sometimes don't engage the flywheel, so all you'll get is "Wiirrrrrrrrrrr" if it's gotten dirty inside. It can be cleaned, but it's not an "easy-button" job to remove the starter from these tractors.

5) Look at the bottom of the steering-gear assembly where it sticks out of the bottom of the frame. Is it dry, or wet and oily? I hear these things can be a P.I.T.A. to
rebuild, and I have one here that needs it!

6) Remove the tunnel cover from the frame of the tractor. Being VERY cautious to keep any appendages and/or loose clothing away, briefly start the tractor and watch the driveshaft. Is it straight and true as it spins, or does it have a defined "wobble" to it? Now shut off the tractor and inspect the lift arm where it meets up with the hyd-lift ram to check for any signs of twists or bends from lifting up a faulty #450 snowblower. Usually if the deck lifts more than an inch or two, it's good.

The 1872 (and it's twin-brother the 2072) are GREAT tractors, but as mentioned above, there are some things to watch out for.

Perhaps others will add to what I've posted...
happy.gif

Art,

The steering hand pump isn't horrible, it's usually the top seal leaking and I was able to do one with very little trouble last fall...you just ahve to be very careful when you take it apart.

The advice above is solid and hits the high points.

Also check for wiring issues at the ignition switch, or signs of cobbled wiring at the switch, it is a common failure point.

Verify that the front PTO works and that the bearing is quiet in the "off" position with the engine running.

Thanks Home of the Plow Special! After I posted I then relized it was a mtd cc and not a IH. I think I will print that out and go over it when I am there. Thanks again for your help.
Larry

Aatay-

"Now shut off the tractor and inspect the lift arm where it meets up with the hyd-lift ram to check for any signs of twists or bends from lifting up a faulty #450 snowblower"

Is the 450 snowblower hard on the lift arm? I was thinking about getting one for my 782.

Jim Storma

450 snow blower are very heavy and I would think and for this reason they are hard on the lift system.Broken pins and bent lift parts are possible if the blower goes over center and you try to lift it . But man do they move a lot of snow.They have a few issues also with stripping the spline in the rear impeller.btdt I have one here to repair now lol. seems they don`t like the pto engagement above idle and will strip the spline on the rear impeller.My 1512 diesel made short work of the spline last winter. but I have a plan to weld in a new spline for this snow season. Later Don T
old.gif

Jim-
What Don said...
happy.gif

The #450 snowblowers are incredible machines for moving snow, but if their lift mechanism is allowed to go "over center" it will jam the tractor's lift and either bend the rockshaft lift arm where it contacts the lift-ram, or it will bend the actual lift rod to the blower. (Been there, done both!)

My eventual plan is to modify the lift on the blower with it's own dedicated lift ram, but I would not hesitate to get one of these for your 782. Just don't drop the blower off of a curb edge, and you're good.

Just wanted to let you guys know I purchased a 450 snow blower this weekend. It's a pretty big unit. Can't wait to try it out this winter.
Shift.gif

Latest posts

Back