• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1872 and 364 snowblower

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgonitzke

displayname
Matt Gonitzke
Now that I'm back in FL waiting for school to start tomorrow, I finally had time to upload these pictures from my camera. I bought this 364 snowblower right around Christmastime, and I finished this project the night before my flight back down here. I was looking for a 450, but I think I like this better. The lift is more straightforward, as is the drive system. Less things to go wrong.

'Finished' is being used rather loosely...I need to make a different length lift link again, as the OEM one lifted it too high and didn't let it touch the ground, and mine only lifts it about 2" off the ground. I also discovered that the float is rusted stuck, and the front of the tractor can be lifted off the ground by lowering the snowblower all the way. I had to make mounts to connect the snowblower to the tractor. The OEM mounts tied in with the 3-point hitch, and since I've never seen them and had no idea what those pieces look like, other than the drawings in the parts diagrams, I just started over and came up with my own. The resulting pieces mount it solidly to the frame. Oddly enough, the drive pulley that mounts in the QA misaligns the belt by 3/4", so it had to be modified to get the belt to line up.

While we never got any more snow while I was home (funny how that works...buy a snowblower and it never snows again), I did run it a little bit just to make sure the old belt wasn't going to self-destruct. I am amazed how quiet this thing is. It cannot be heard over the tractor, and it doesn't vibrate at all. The belt tensioning (spring-loaded tensioner) on this is MUCH better than the QA-36/42A/B snowthrowers. I may modify my QA-36A to use a similar tensioner. Overall it seems to be an improvement over the single-stage units; the chute rotator is also much better and can't rotate by itself.

This thing is REALLY heavy...about 300#. I would definitely not want this on a tractor that didn't have hydraulic lift and power steering.

I also mounted some new tires on the rear. That is the first set of new rear tires I have ever bought for the 50+ tractors I have owned over the years. I desperately need new front tires, as one is filled with slime and oozing from several holes. Hopefully I can afford some V61s for it when I get a job.

219498.jpg

219499.jpg

219500.jpg

219501.jpg

219502.jpg

219503.jpg

Matt-
I agree with Kraig. Nice job!!!

I see what you're saying about the lift and drive assemblies on that blower. That does look like a nice system.

OK, now time for a question....

Do tow a lot of upside-down trailers down there in Rockford????
1a_scratchhead.gif

219556.jpg

That hitch is due to the fact he purchased his trailer from Australia.

Matt, nice steup on the 364. I am in agreement about the pto shaft driven concept; I seem to fail the blower belts too frequently on the 451 and 551 blowers I have used on my 1782. All that sudden twisting thru the mule drive with those tight radii are not condusive to belt life. Plus the moveable idler is so close to ground level that on uneven surfaces it is forced up.

Actually, the reason the ball is on upside down is because this tractor was stored sideways in part of our barn, and the only way to get it in that position was to jack up the rear and swing it against the wall. The ball made a nice, steady jack point.

Matt-
That's a good idea with the hitch-ball. I'll have to remember that.

I know you're AWAY now, but is there any chance someone at home will get us "action shots" of that snowblower this winter?

The main blower portion looks very similar to a #450/#451, so I bet you'll be "pleased" with it's performance.
happy.gif

Possibly...sadly, my dad prefers to use his Farmall for most of it and then the walk-behind (
confused.gif
) for the asphalt part by the house. My parents said they got about 3", and my mom shoveled the asphalt part for exercise while my dad was at work. Basically, I told my dad to try it, but I have no idea if he will or not. We're probably going to have to wish for 12" of snow and some sort of problem with the Farmall for it to get used...

Matt I Might have to swing by and fire it up for you if your dad doesn't.
clappy.gif

That thing sure looks better on the tractor instead of that barn floor.

Going through the old CCC posts and came across this thread. I'm intrigued with the 364 blower. It seems like its design circumvents some of the problems that are common to the 450/451 series of blowers. Is anyone on the site running a 364 and if so, what do you think of it? I seem to remember that Melody got one of these for her 782D. I wouldn't mind picking up one of these someday for my CubKub--

The 364 was an IH design originally, later revised as a CCC attachment. Only minor changes can be seen in the parts illustrations. I sure would like to try one myself, as I dislike the belt routing on the later models. Maybe it's just me but I go through at least one belt a season, usually broken cords in the belt so that it twists and comes off. Running thru that mule drive with all those tight turns makes me yearn for a simpler drive, like the 364.

I agree with Matt's assessment of the lift as well, I like the 'straight-arm' lift better that the scissors like lift which seems so sloppy in it's linkage. The driven pulley is allowed to change alignment due to that slop.

Does anyone know where I can get the bigger 7" pulley that I need for a 782. It is the big pulley on the mule part #756-0442.

Well guys I have decided to build a 364 from one of my 450 snow blowers I have here. I will run the two long support rods back to bolt onto my cat O where the arms usually come back from . I think A pulley from the blower mule drive can be used under the tractor to run the belt off the PTO on my diesel.I will lift the blower the same as Matt shows in his pictures . I have a steering shaft from a 3/4 ton ford truck with a slip spline and 10 mil joints and splined ends with clamps held by 10 mil bolts on each end of the shaft. I think that will work perfectly for the lift part as it can pull apart about 5" before it would be an issue with coming apart. The hardest thing will be to get the down extension to not be close to come apart and the lift . But if the blower is mounted 18" away from the front of my 1512 That might be a perfect length. I have a friend who will do my welding and help fab it up. The blower will be ready for next winter . I will be able to sit in my Simms Cab with heat and blow snow . I think I will try a set of car ice and snow tires on the narrow Cub rims with 100 lbs of Cub weight and add more if I have a traction problem. But I think with the lift of the blower from the rock shaft will help distribute the blower weight more to the center of the Cub. I have made drawings (sketches ) of this and have been mulling this over for some time.

Jim D

I must have 4 belts here for a 450 snow thrower two are new that we will have to make a deal on lol. cheap because if my plan works I will never need them . I will put my plan in a post of it`s own for others to copy if they want to do this mod ; Because we must share what we can for the hobby .

Don,

You don't distribute the weight any differently with the hitch arrangement, just make it easier on the lift components (tension, not compression). The weight distribution involves how much weight is hanging in front of the front axle...end of story....makes no difference how it is lifted, it's still up there pivoting on the front axle, taking weight off of the rear end.

Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
I need my friend to bring over his scales and weigh the front tires and back with a stock installed 450 . Then after my Mod I will weigh the four tires again. I think I am correct in saying more weight will be transferred back with the 364 attachment point , and I` am willing to prove it either way . But I think the center lift has to put more weight on the rear tires .
1a_scratchhead.gif

If the blower weighs the same and is the same distance in front of the front axle, mounting is irrevelant. Sum of moments around front axle is the calculation that drives weight distribution. I'm not trying to argue, just dont want you to spend time/effort for no improvement.
happy.gif

Matt,

Here is how I fit the Kubota TG2746A snow blower on my 1864. It is quite similar to your rig:
283782.jpg

283783.jpg

283784.jpg

I spent a long time to find a way to make it as simple as possible. It takes only 5 minutes to remove the sub chassis and the snow blower off the tractor. The snow blower can still be reinstalled on a Kubota tractor since no original parts have been modified. With this system I can also use every front attachments built for the Kubota BX series. The lifting span is around 6": -2" to +4" relative to ground.
It runs perfectly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVndYaROT8A

Robin Boulianne

Thanks for your pictures .
Could you tell me the weight of that blower ?

I see you have no weights in the wheels Do you have any traction problems ?
I bet that set up works slick. I will have something close with my 450 .

I run 100 lb Cub weight and my 245 lb and can`t back up with chains when I lift the blower because it is so heavy and mounted off the front of my 1512 Diesel. I ` am glade you like that set up. Thanks for the reply.

Looks like about 300# of big tractor wheel weights on the rear of that 1864, just behind the seat.....

The snow blower is not so heavy. I would say it doesn't weight more than 200 pounds. Since I installed 400 pounds on the back, it's well balanced. In quick forward move, the front wheels leave the ground.

Back