• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1970 147 running WIDE open

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHAM

My 1970 147 with 14hp Kohler k321 has an issue. When you start it it idles just fine if you give it a small amount of throttle it is fine for a moment then slowly starts revving up untill WIDE open. Not full throttle completely wide open. I’ve never had an issue like this with any of my kohler k series motors. Has anyone had this issue before?

You cannot tell by looking at it if it is set right.

The service manual is a free download from Kohlers website...download it and follow the instructions for resetting the governor.

You cannot tell by looking at it if it is set right.

The service manual is a free download from Kohlers website...download it and follow the instructions for resetting the governor.
By looking I also mean using my hands to feel the linkages and making sure nothing is loose or majorly out of adjustment

The old plastic that was used for the governor gears weakens over time. What happens usually is the pins holding the weights in will back out, then hit things in the engine, causing the governor to self destruct often sending plastic parts all over the engine. The k161 in my Original had this happen to it.

Even if your governor gear looks okay, since you are already in the engine to replace piston rings, I and many others here would recommend you remove it and replace it with a new one, so as to prevent you having to go through the whole process again. After all, the governor is the LAST piece that is removed during a complete engine disassembly, meaning to get to it, you have to take everything else apart anyway! The new ones are made of a better plastic that won't fail like the old ones.

There is also a set spec for the length of the rod from the carb to the governor spring depending on what HP engine you have.

So you are going to replace the rings, correct??
May I ask why and what do you hope to gain by doing so without checking the bore and crank for proper sizes.

There is also a set spec for the length of the rod from the carb to the governor spring depending on what HP engine you have.

So you are going to replace the rings, correct??
May I ask why and what do you hope to gain by doing so without checking the bore and crank for proper sizes.
I am, I’m going through everything? Not sure what you mean by that

Latest posts

Back