• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1872 vs 2182?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmhill

displayname
John Hill
Hey guys, I have a nice running Cub 1872. I also picked up a 2182 the other day that's in decent shape but not quite as nice as the 1872. I have a nice 50c deck with the 1872 and a decent 60" Haban on the 2182. I've been leaning toward keeping the 2182, but find myself liking the 1872 a little better, because it's in a little better shape and I like the style of the older model better. What are your thoughts, guys? I'll be mowing a couple of yards that have thick, fast growing grass. I want to be able to mow at a decent speed, and have the best cut possible, and throw out the grass nice and far without windrowing. What are your preferences on the 50c vs the 60" Haban? If I put the Haban on the 1872, would I have enough power to run it?

John-

I have no experience with a 2182, but I have owned an 1872 with the 60" Haban deck for about 10 years now and absolutely love it. The deck cuts great, and the tractor has never run out of power, and that's even when hauling my #240 (+#200 of wheel weights) up some steep hills in our yard.

301446.jpg

If this one was gone, I'd buy the same set up in a heart-beat.

Hope this helps...

John,
You're in a tough dilemma.
That's what happens when you have one tractor with a great driveline and crappy plastic and a great tractor with an "OK" driveline.

Overall the 1872 is the winner with the Haban.
In any case, this equipment is getting dated and maybe best to use as your "second" line of defense in the mower war. It can be a challenge to keep this stuff working.
My Cubs are for pleasure use, I typically don't have to depend on them.

I run a 2072 w/ a Haban 60". It rarely bogs. I have also outfitted my 782 with a Mag18 and 50" (effectively making it an 1872). I'd run either over a cyclops. It feels more "real" to me thank driving plastic. I've parted a number of cyclops to get those parts.

The only thing the cyclops has over the older models is less hours (I'm assuming) and parts availability.

Assuming the cyclops has a Kohler command in it, it lacks torque but will survive years longer than the Mag.

Tough choice, but I'd stick with steel, torque, and the Haban.

Thanks guys for all the input! For now I think I'm going to keep the 2182. I'm modifying a hood and grill from an 1811 so I can get rid of the cheap and ugly cyclops plastic. So hopefully I'll have some of the best of both. Nic, the 2182 actually has the 21 hp 3 cyl Kubota gas engine, which I'm told is a real powerhouse and supposedly outperforms all the other Super garden tractor engines, so we'll see
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back