• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1872 surging

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwarfle

displayname
paul warfle
After two years of sitting "in a corner", I pulled my 1872 into the shop and put it back together. The engine mount bolts had come loose for the PO and the shaft (rubber disks) had ripped out. So it is back together and will be my main mowing tractor. Started it yesterday and it will not run quite right - likes to have the choke out, but still not consistent. I drained the old fuel, put in fresh plugs, & installed a new fuel filter - before attempting to start. I have heard that these carbs develop cracks? I don't think it had been running poorly for the PO because when the shaft came out he laterally pushed it in the garage and then unloaded it on CL - to me, but it has sat now for a few years. I will try adjusting carb, but should not need it. Maybe rebuild carb? Any help is appreciated.

Paul,
Good start with dumping the old fuel. I'd replace all fluids and filters and since the gas was bad, I'd clean/rebuild the carb as well. The gas nowadays goes bad in a month, so sitting for a couple years, the carb is varnished. A good, clean fuel system is a good place to start. Check to plugs, too.

Yeah, take the carb apart and clean it out well, inspect the gaskets for damage or wear. Then run it with a heavy hand of Seafoam. If that doesn't do it, then you should check the governor.

Thanks guys. It has new - correct gapped plugs. I tore the carb apart and it looks suprisingly good, but I cleaned it. I was just going to clean, but the bowl gasket did not come out in one pc, so will have to get a kit now regardless. Hopefully the carb will solve the problem, as I am anxious to put a mower on it and use! Also now after starting and running back and fourth in the shop it started leaking hydro fluid out of top of hydro unit. Will probably need new relief valves next, but I bought it cheap, so no big deal.

Latest posts

Back