• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1863 Wont start

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtracy

displayname
Jerry Tracy
Okay here's the deal. Got on the cub the other day, hit the key and she started right up, pulled it out of the barn and used it some. Then the wife gets on it, uses it some and gets off. I get on it a few minutes later and nothing, nadda, zip, zilch, no click, no lights, nuttin. Fiddle with it by moving jiggleing some wires around and still nothing. I am getting dash lights intermittinly but they go out. My suspicion is the ignition switch because in the past sometimes when you turn the key all you get is a click, do this a few times and then it starts right up. Don't think its the starter or solenoid because I dont have headlights and they should work even if the solenoid is bad, right? Any ideas or clues? I also tried jumping it and still nothing. All battery connections are good as is the battery itself.

Jerry, not sure if this will help or not.

88039.jpg

88040.jpg

Jerry T: Something not always understood is that the start/ignition goes through the PTO switch. The next time that "no start" condition occurs, with the ignition off, operate the PTO switch back and forth 3-4 times. If this solves the start problem, replace the PTO switch...

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Got it fixed on Friday. Took a test light and checked the battery and the lead from the starter. All was good. Checked the ignition switch and didn't have any juice going to it. I noticed that when I took the plug off the back that it had been hot in the past, not sure what thats about. Anyway, got to checking other things and noticed the fuseholder that mounts just to the left of the battery on the tray and it also looked like it had been hot. Checked it with the light and had juice going in but none coming out. Bingo. The holder had melted around the fuse and it wasn't working. Replaced the holder and the fuse and all is good. I even done some more work while I was at it. For a long time, the forward/reverse lever was really sloppy as it had already broken once in the past and I rewelded it and drilled out one of the loose rivets that held it together and replaced it with a bolt and a double nut. Any, I got to checking and the two remaining rivets were really loose so I chiseled one of them out and replaced it with another bolt and locknut. Took all the slop out of the lever. Then I was adjusting the rod for the ground speed thats located under the removable panel in front of the seat. I noticed that when the tranny was moved to reverse that the hydro unit moved up and down. Heck I grabbed ahold of it and it was pretty loose. I had noticed while using it that when you were in reverse that it made a whining noise and I just figured that it was the hydro unit showing its age, 13 years. Nope. When the tranny was in reverse, the hydro unit would move down, which would allow the driveshaft mounted plastic fan that cools the hydro unit to ever so slightly contact either a rod or a hydraulic line. This contact resulted in a whinning noise. Tightened up the two bolts that secure the hydro unit to the frame and she's good as new. This thing is running and working like a new one!! I see a new paint job and decals in the future for the old girl!!

Jerry, glad to hear you solved the electrical problem. Good thing you had the electrical problem, it lead you to fix several other issues. Just wait until your Cub Cadet is 40+ years old, one problem leads to dozens of issues to fix.
happy.gif

I tried using bolts on that shaft but they were too soft and I had to use the rivits after all. It is lots of fun removing that shaft to put in new rivits and reinstalling it.

Back