• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1863 electrical delima

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwesterfield

displayname
Wesley Westerfield
A little stuck on trouble shooting my electrical issue on our 1863 cub. New battery, thought I tested a pto switch failure correctly and replaced pto switch. Still no start. Panel light at key turn is dim and weak but battery tests a full charge. Last season the I had to flip pro 3-4 times before I received a reaction for a turn over. Any procedure thoughts?

Panel light at key turn is dim and weak but battery tests a full charge

Sounds like you have a bad or poor wire connection somewhere. As a first step, check your battery cable connections, on both ends, to see if they are clean, polished, and tight.

This vintage of machine is known for horribly constructed and very light weight wiring harnesses. Check connections, especially at plugs, wiring looms, and general electrical components.......they all could be the cause.

Start by chasing the power from the battery through to the starting and ignition circuits and wiggle/test your way through the harness.

Last on I worked on got totally rewired with 14 gauge and a bunch of the "auxillary junk" ommitted.....

Wes...I feel your pain..I fought my 1864 for a month or so off and on. Still a few small issues to work on but nothing major. Like you said "still plugging away at it" when it gets warmer.

I had picked up an 1863 low hour that had spent it whole life outside with the same problem. Way to busy working all the time and needing to keep the grass cut I replaced the battery, starter, and pro switch still the same problem. Would just jumper around every thing get it started to cut grass till next time. Cleaned all battery connections and grounds to no improvement. Cut off battery cable ends found bunch of corrosion had made its way up the wire under the insulation. Cleaned wire good put on new cable ends and greased them starts like a champ now. Hope this helps Keith

you know Keith, I may just try that cause I have exahusted everything else. I did replace the battery due to it being depleated and heavily corroded termials but the leads didn't look that bad. I feel like I have a ray of hope. will let you know how it goes.

Keith, you get the bozo button!! Battery terminals replaced and she is puring like a champ. Old terminals were a little oxidized. Wouldn't have ever thought they needed replacing. I guess that machine does have a sensitive electrical system. I'm happy again thanks!!

Latest posts

Back