• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

18 H.P Command or Magnum

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both the Magnum and Command are good engines if they are maintained properly. I've never had a rod failure on a Magnum. They are a bit more known for the pin the governor gear rides on falling out, but there is a fix for that. Also have heard of a few camshaft failures and have experienced myself, but that was on an engine with a LOT of hours, perhaps more than 2000.

The last one i bought was set up. Got it running and checked the valves seemed ok. The low oil light was on but new oil was full. Took it for a drive and sounded good then decided to open it up and get some speed and the rod started hammering. If this engine main bearing spins would that cause the low oil light as the cranks isnt getting lubricated and cause the knock ?

Loose rod to crank tolerances will cause low to no oil pressure, and eventual failure. An oil pump failure , low to no oil in the crankcase, or clogged pickup screen could have starved the rod/mains to the point of failure too.

Any engine with a pressurized oiling system can definitely benefit from the use of a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

oil1.jpg

Where would one tap the block to add one ?
I used the port for the sender on my KT in my 782. On my 1872 project I haven't decided if I'm going to put a T in for both the sender and oil PSI gauge, or just run the gauge and forget about the light. It'll probably come down to how much room there is to fit everything.

On the Command, the oil sender port is on the very top of the engine. On the Magnum, it's on the right front side of the engine if you are sitting on the tractor. I use a brass "T" and retain the factory idiot lamp, and add the gauge.

My 18hp magnum will use about 1 1/2 gallon per hour while snow blowing, I don't have a command for comparison, but my 23hp kawasaki in my xt2 uses just over 1/2 gallon per hour, while snow blowing the same area. Snow depth doesn't seem to affect either engines fuel consumption, but I don't work them hard enough to bog them down much. When they start to bog, I let up on the ground speed, let the blower catch up, and go again. I typically like using the 1862 with the magnum more because of power steering and a soft cab. I'm getting soft the older I get.

Latest posts

Back