• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

18/2082

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweaver

displayname
KENtuckyKEN
What years were the 1882s made ?
Did they use the old IH yellow (looks close) and were they powder painted ?
I am trying to sand blast the foot rest because they are pitted bad under the mats but it's real thick like powder paint.

oh, and here she is with a rebuilt 20 Kohler
happy.gif

75344.jpg

Kentucky-

Roughly 1990-1993. That's pretty nice looking for a "cyclops." I don't think the yellow is quite the same. I also don't think they're powder-coated. The paint on these has a reputation for being horrible. The 1862 I bought was rusted out really bad. Also, beware the wiring. This series of tractors is know for wiring issues. Mechanically, though, they are excellent. The driveshaft has CV-type joints that in my opinion are much better than rag joints. You'll like that, those are nice tractors.

Matt - I was thinking that it was to early for powder paint but man it's wearing out my compressor it's so thick and tough. Wearing me out too leaning into the blast cabinet !

Wiring seems okay ... not so though with the plastic pieces ahead of the dash though.

I like power steering
happy.gif

The MTD parts look up says the grille frame as "round" headlights and on backorder ... I may have to make one from scratch.
75350.gif

and there's one blown bulb and the socket wont pull out !!

I'll let the pics do the talking
angry.gif

76768.jpg

76769.jpg

Looks like a miscarriage to me
angry.gif

Ken,
That is the right one for the part #, Cub no longer supplies the right one. I sent you a email concerning the right one.

Eric - Thanks for the Correct Pad , the new ignition switch and the head light bulb. Nice quick service and delivery.
beerchug.gif

Seems like there may have been something else but if so , it escapes me now.

<font color="0000ff">~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</font>

Now with the new gas tank , fuel shut offs and new rubber gormets and gas line "T" from MTD I should be set to go. Plus the Advance Auto Parts gas line.

I'm starting to put it all together today.
I've got both of my new rear tires on now.
Yesterday's pic b4 the CAT-0
80621.jpg

I blasted the foot rest and primed/painted them. The Tractor Supply Valspar Cub Cadet spray can paint #5339-25 seems way to bright. It doesn't seem to cover the gray primer to well either.

<font color="0000ff">Is this 1882 the yellow of the IH cubs or the MTD cubs ???</font>

<font color="0000ff">I need to find a STEEL hood and side panels and cast grill frame from whatever other model that'll fit.</font> I've got to get rid of this broke plastic crap !!!
angry.gif

My next purchase is gonna have to be fluid and filter for the rear. The oil that came out when I pulled the axle housing bolts is pretty black looking and foamed up just dripping into the catch pan !

Still thinking about putting my 129 housing in , just hate to take the 129 completely out of commission.

I just got my CAT-0 lift installed. Funny how you pay to much for it but it still doesn't come with all the bolts that held it on. Holes are wallowed out bad ... gonna have to buy longer bolts than what I first bought so I can put nuts on , on top of the stripped welded nuts. I need thick heavy washers to keep the 3/8" bolt heads(9/16) from going through 5/8" diameter wallowed out holes.

Ken-

I think the yellow on that series is different from both the earlier MTD-built 82-series units and the IH-built Cub Cadets. The 1862 I parted had paint that was much more dull and beige-ish yellow than the yellow on the IH and early CCC cubs.

As for the grille/side panels, unfortunately, the 82 series ones won't quite bolt on. The grille casting will, but the hood and side panels won't fit because of the dash and pedastal.

Matt - Charlie told me a while back what should fit but CRS kicked in ...

Here's the lift and my new meats together. Still gotta put the gas tank on.
80627.jpg

I've got to re-work the cylinder horse shoe clevis pins. They wont work as they are. Pic should tell the story ...
80628.jpg

I forgot to turn off my compressor last night. Here's what happens when it's cold and the new belt is getting loose and the motor pulley is to small of diameter so it can slow down the 3450rpm motor ... a 1750rpm motor and a bigger pulley would equal the same speed plus give twice the surface contact on the belt ... but it's a cheap compressor
angry.gif

I don't know how many hours it ran the motor but it was hot when I turned it off and it has a cooling fan.
80629.jpg

It sat there slipping , burning the belt until it started melting. There's belt dust all over the tank.

I like those tires
happy.gif

80630.jpg

The rear blade I made years ago for my home made tractor is a little to narrow. Today I'll probably have my old front blade mounted and use an electric lift to operate it.
80874.jpg

I'm having problems with it not starting when it sits over night.
Choaking it , or even hand choaking doesn't get it to fire up. I have to give it a shot of ether.
Once started all through the day a bump of the switch will light her up.
I wonder if the fuel pump isn't working strong enough when cranking and if it's letting the fuel drain back ...

I've got to get the other foot rest blasted and painted today too.

Ken-

Does it have a vacuum-operated pump? The 1862 I parted had one, and I used the pump when I put that motor into my 582. It'll do that when it sits for a long time, but not overnight. I wonder if your pump is starting to go or something.

Yep it's a vacuum pump. I thought about taking it apart and seeing if it needed clean (had grit in bowl) and see if maybe it had a pin hole in it.

Hey Ken,
How are those tires working for you? I might consider buying a pair.
Cody

Cody - They go THUMP THUMP on concrete
happy.gif

I've not had them in the dirt yet (mud), just on gravel touching up the driveway. When I get the front blade mounted I'll put it and that 20 ponies to work.
I found out one thing , if you're going to use them in the mud as my back yard is soft with standing water, you'd better have a wash down area before you take it in the garage. There went my clean floor
sad.gif

I found out why the choke wouldn't start it, the cable had a couple of bends that kept it from pulling all the way. A few minutes with the pliers and now it pulls all the way shut and starts right up. Looks like hand choking it would have worked
confused.gif

Ken, I love the look of those tires. What size and brand/model are they? I didn't see that mentioned. I still haven't gotten new tires for my 1512 (23 x 10.5 x 10) yet, and think those would do a great job if I can get those.... SteveG

Stephen - They're mentioned in the "ATV tires on a Cub Cadet" thread.
They came off ebay ... as did my last 2 sets of truck tires ;)

These are MUD GEAR 26x12x12.

I've got a front blade !
I took the old one off my home made tractor that was originally from a B10 and built a mount yesterday/last night. I still need to blast/prime/paint it but that'll have to wait until my compressor gets fixed.
I need to find a switch for the wiring and figure out where I'm going to mount the switch and it's done.
The mount makes a pretty good front bumper too when the blade is off ... gotta protect that cheap busted plastic
biggrin.gif

I need outside pics but here's what ya get when it's raining ...

80950.jpg

80951.jpg

80952.jpg

and yes it will push down and lift the front wheels off the ground
buttrock.gif

80953.jpg

Latest posts

Back