• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

169 OWNERS COLLECT HERE

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics of dash
309864.jpg

Mike - never thought of doing that to the dash tin. Looks like it worked out great.
greenthumb.gif

Mike, I'll second Hydro's comment. Original Textured tin, w/ all the fine detail in the non textured areas using decal cut outs,,,
I'm no 169 owner but I'm glad you shared that info for us lesser rare cubby owners,,, Looks Great!!!
thumbsup.gif

New to the forum and 1st post.
Don't know if this is the right place for this, as this format is different than what I'm used to.
Anyway, I'm new to Cub Cadets, and picked up a Model 169 completely by accident, as a relative just wanted to get rid of "an old lawnmower in the way in her garage".
I rescue old motorcycles, so I thought I would give this one a try, as it had not been running in some time.
I've taken a liking to it, even though I don't "need" another mower.
Some pics (maybe)

310613.jpg

Bruce L -
That "Lawnmower"
err.gif
was one heck of a Find!!!!
Looks like it was stored indoors out of the weather,,,
That's a Good LooKin 169 you got there!
GREAT Rescue,
thumbsup.gif

Also you can post 169 on the Main forum board, or Here in the 169 smokers lounge also!!!
deadat30.gif

Bruce, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

That's one heck of a first post! A 169 that appears to be in great condition.
greenthumb.gif

BTW, it's a "Garden Tractor" not a "lawn mower"...
happy.gif

Thanks, guys......I'm a total ignoramus on tractors and hydrostatic transmissions, so be gentle!
It took me quite a while to find the starter, after hitting my head on it a few times!
Do you need to come to a complete stop before changing from forward to reverse? and is neutral supposed to be used alone as a brake?

Bruce-

Gradual motion on the shifter will tell you exactly what's going on. When you return to neutral the tractor will stop. This is done by either shifting or using the brake pedal. When the engine isn't running you should use the parking brake...especially on hills. The tractor can eventually roll. Also, check your brakes. It isn't hard to adjust them.

I never use the pedal when using a hydro cub except for parking on hills. I bring it to neutral which stops it then pull down if I need reverse.

Bottom line, the more you use it the more familiar you become with what it does.

There's also a member here, Art A. that is recording 169 information. If you get a chance send him the serial number and count the number of fins on the block. There will be either 12 or 13.

Good luck and welcome!

Welcome, Bruce!
wave.gif

As you look into your situation, you'll find that you have a relatively rare piece of machinery. Only 4,005 of them were built, and only in 1974. I hope your relative can give you some background information on it.
happy.gif

Bruce,
" be gentle " oh you and that Good LooKin newly acquired 169 are gonna fit rite in here!!!
roflol.gif

You and I are in the same boat,
happy.gif

I got about a 6mnth jump on ya w/ my 149,,,
I'm no where near knowledgeable enough w/ these tractors to be giving advice, but I've had mine apart and back together,, a few times,
err.gif

Maybe when you get a chance remove the tunnel cover and have a look see while moving speed lever and brake pedal, that will really give you an idea how the linkages work and control things,,,
thumbsup.gif

Also when you get time a quick read through the FAQ's short list and long list will really give you a Good Understanding of how things work,,,
Lots of Valuable info in there,
beerchug.gif

Most of the
bottom.gif
going on around here is reserved for the seasoned veterans,,,
happy.gif
happy.gif

No worries, There are a Whole Bunch of really sharp guys here,,, your in the right place!

Bruce - welcome to the Forum. You picked up a 169 by accident??? Dang, I wish I had your type of accidents. It took me several years of searching to just find my 169 - and then it's was only parts of one - and another 7 years to get it all nicely put together.

Did you get any attachments with your 169. You referred to it as a lawnmower so I assume you must have a mowing deck. It also looks like you have the original manual lift. It was supposed to have a hydraulic lift but they were in short supply at time of production. IH put together a kit for the dealers to add it after the sale but a lot of the 169's never got the update. I don't know if it was supposed to be free of charge or had a cost but the install instructions are available on the Manuals section of this Forum.

Hope you can get us some more pics - all around the tractor. And please post the entire serial number info from the plate on the left side of your frame (next to your foot when you're setting on the tractor). Also, I'd also like to know the numbers stamped on your rear taillight lenses if you get a chance to post them.

Bruce,

Nice accident!
You are only about a 3 hour drive from me, but I haven't seen any accidents like that around here!
As others have said, it sure looks like it is in excellent shape.
thumbsup.gif

Ok guys, I will try to attach some more pics, but I'm having trouble getting them under the size limit.
I did get a 44"mower deck with it, as well as a bunch of receipts and owners and parts manuals where my cousin bought it new in 74 I believe.
I'm counting 13 fins.

310628.jpg

310629.jpg

310630.jpg

310631.jpg

310632.jpg

Harry-
Here are the numbers from the tail light....I thought they were aftermarket replacements but?
Reflect-O-Lite 378 SAL-P2-A-75

Nice score Bruce. You will love that tractor especially if you garden or keep your driveway cleared in the winter. Attachments are available from a lot of forum members as well as any quality parts you may need.

Wayne...
How do I find Art A?....I don't see a member list

Luther.....
I just bought a walk behind snow blower last season!

Bruce - thanks for posting the additional pics of your 169, and also providing the other info. I'm amazed with your Serial No. 529690. That does fall under the Oct. 1974 production period and makes it close to the end of the month production.

Your tail light lenses are not aftermarket. They are what I would call original replacements. The last 2 digits being 75 are an indication of the year (1975) the lens was certified by DOT. The original production lenses had 70 and hardly any exist. Finding original replacement lenses like yours is now nearly impossible. Reflect-O-Lite was taken over by Bargram, and even lenses with the Bargram name are almost impossible to find and when you do they cost dearly.

Glad to hear you have a 13fin Kohler K341A too. It's a highly sought Kohler block. You might want to peruse the Forum for "Balance Gears" or "Grenade Gears" for details about a known issue with these Kohler engines. And you can click on the link for Kirk Engines (colorful box at the top of the page) and get info on a possible solution.

Latest posts

Back