• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

1572 diesel

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfox

displayname
chris fox
Hello my 1572 diesel just started having a weird stalling problem. it could run for an hour or
ten minutes and then loose power and die out.
if i can catch it quick enough by shutting off the deck and throttling it down it will stay idling and then be able to take off again. if i dont catch it, i will have to crank it quite a bit to get it to restart

I have replaced both filters in the fuel system.
any direction ? thank you all
Chris Fox

Chris,
Pull the fuel shut off valve out of the fuel tank, There is a screen on the valve that sometimes gets plugged up, You can actually tear the screen off the shutoff and replace the shutoff back in the tank because you have the other 2 fuel filters to catchthe dirt.

Chris F: Methinks you got a gasoline answer for a diesel problem!!!

I do not recommend you tear that screen filter off the cut-off valve....Unless someone has poured dirt in your tank, dirt is <u>not </u>the problem ! ! Bacterial gel is the problem. To solve that problem with out use of chemicals, you must remove the tank and flush it out, removing all that gel !!! Or you can go to the nearest Tractor Supply, where I got mine, and get some PS Diesel 911. This stuff disolves that gel and kills the bacteria. Just follow the instructions on the label...It's in an orangey red container by the way.... When I had the problem on my 782D, and because nothing flows uphill, I also had to take my air line and blow out the fuel line (which also had that dratted gel in it). I disconnected the line at the fuel pump and blew backwards into the tank. NOTE: Make sure the cap is off the tank and, from experience, do not be standing anywhere near the tank when you blow that air back through the line...BTDT....Yuk....

I keep Diesel 911 in my fuel at all times now that I found a cure for the diesel gel problem....

A happy diesel mower in Texas.....

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Myron,
Even if he has GEL in his fuel tank ripping the screen out still in my book is the best option, I very rarely see GEL in fuel tanks if guys run them often. that problem occurs more if they sit alot. We see it more in farm tractors that are not run alot.

might want to check your fuel pump and secondary filters as well. You can get any 12v fuel pump to replace it...NAPA has them.

Pull inline filter before pump. Hold upside down so "in" arrow points up. Hold a rag under it as you do.

Also spray some brake cleaner( I use non-flamable crc, it doesn't hurt plastics or burn, etc.) in the "out". Is there very fine black or rust particles in there? Maybe like a very fine sand? I suspect contaminated deisel. I suggest emptying out fuel tank, inspect/clean tank for dirt, replace and fill with known fresh diesel.

These engines run forever. There's no electrical component needed once started. Must do's though: Run Diesel grade 30wt, or 10-w40, as gasoline formulated oils can't cope with the blow-by, or heat generated by these engines. My D600 has the same compression ratio as my 7.3IDI f-250. ('90, pre-powerstroke) 23:1, the 7.3 developes over 480psi in it's compression stroke. The D600 should be the same.

Regular diesel does not normally go stale, or gro alge. Only in wet, humid enviroments. I regularlly burn off road diesel from old minning ukes not ran in 20 years. That was from full tanks, and was properly filtered. Bio-diesel does promote alge growth, and only has a shelf life of a few months.

Unless you have some real bad contaminated fuel, Diesel fuel will not gel in warm weather. There is one reason Diesel Fuel gels and that is because of contamination in the fuel, the more contamination, the warmer the temperature the fuel will gel.
Take the screen on the valve out of the tank like Eric said. you have two more filter that are designed to filter the fuel. Unless you are running soybiodiesel, old fuel or are in real a humid area you will not have bacteria. I would clean the tank and you should be good to go. Be real careful as what type of fuel conditioner you run in the summer as most are ethanol base (gas) and that is hard on a diesel in the summer. (winter is different) I use thousands of gallons of diesel fuel a week and never put conditioner in the tanks in the warmer weather and never have a problem
It could be the secondary pump like Ryan said. Make sure you get one that is OK for use with diesel fuel and the right pressure. A lot of Auto electric pumps are not compatible with diesel fuel, or to much pressure.

Eric, David, Ron:

1) Chris Fox has a problem! ... All those Saturday "too many cool-tool" generated arguments are not solving his problem - just arguing. Some Google searching will inform you that I did not just make up that stuff!!

2) I have basically the same piece of equipment with the same model Kubota diesel and fuel system in it and, two years ago, I had that same problem that Chris F has. Initially I thought it was the fuel pump and/or filters and changed them out. None of that helped at all. Then I did some research and removed the fuel tank where I discovered that gel!!

3)I told him how I fixed my problem. And without destroying any parts in the process!!

3) Tearing out that screen raises the possibility that some of that gel will get sucked up into the fuel pump and possibly the injectors instead of blocking the gel in the fuel tank....That is a possibility I don't want to have to deal with...

Help our forum member with his problem with positive, concrete suggestions. Arguing with me or blowing smoke in our ears with all those anecdotal tales isn't helping solve his problem

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Chris F.-

Listen to Myron, he knows what he's talking about. My 782D (basically the same engine and fuel system) had the same run for half an hour and die crap too. There was this giant glob of gel on the screen in the tank. I removed that, cleaned it, removed all the old diesel from the tank and cleaned the tank, and put it back together, and I've never had a problem since.

Amazing advise thanks everyone !!
It was the elbow before the shut off valve.....plugged soild with grass ? how I'll never know.
runs like the champ it is.
thanks

Sounds like Chris fixed his problem, I'm just going to throw my experience in for future reference.

I had the same exact problem. It turned out to be the elbow with the screen in it. I didn't intentional remove my screen, most of it came out with the grass and junk. I then removed the rest of it so I didn't have it slowing coming apart and causing more problems down the road. I'm not sure how the grass got in there, we have always used a funnel with a screen.

I don't think removing the screen is going to be a big deal. You have two filters after the screen, keep those in check and everything should be fine.

As far as the gelling goes. Diesel fuel will gel if it's cold out and hasn't been cut correctly. The only time you would run into a problem would be running summer fuel in the winter, which it doesn't sound like you're doing.

As far as bacterial gel, it can happen but from my experience the fuel has to sit for a LONG time. Usually you run into this problem with fence row tractors.

When it comes right down to it the CC Kubota diesels are quirky setups. CC shoehorned an awful lot underneath that hood, and really just barely made it fit. They're drive lines need more attention then their gas counterparts and they're more expensive to work on. The electrical systems are really kind of put to the test every time you turn the key (which I can attest to!), yes they work but they're not a lot to fall back on there.

Cool machines for sure, but you should know what your getting into when you buy one. Oh, and my 1512D was bought new by my dad, and then given to me, I've been using it/maintaining it from day one so I've got lot of experience with these little monsters.

who/where was I arguing? I was suggesting checking content/condition of fuel pump pre-filter. Gives an idea if it's pre/post fuel pump, and the easiest item to remove/inspect.

If that was in response to me, I didn't mean to sound like I was arguing, just giving my 2 cents.

In fact I thought I was "with you" on the Diesel gel bit.

Myron
I don't think anyone was "Arguing with me or blowing smoke in our ears with all those anecdotal" as you stated, I was giving Chris good sound advice on fixing his problem. Adding all the diesel additive would not help. As I stated before Diesel Fuel Gel because Of one thing Contamination. The more contamination the warm the fuel will gel. If diesel fuel is gelling in 30 degree or warmer you need to get clean fuel and flush the tank, not just add more fuel additive.

I don't want to argue But Cub Cadet did not have a perfect machine. Most updated were due to mechanics in the field finding a better way to build/fix a machine.
I don't need to do a Google search to know that what I stated is correct. I have owned 8 Cub Cadet Diesels and they have all severed me good. The lowest Hour one has 1200 hours and one had over 5500 hours. I have worked on Cub cadets at a dealership or on my own for over 35 years. I'm certified to do warranty work on Caterpillar and John Deere equipment so I'm not just as you stated "All those Saturday "too many cool-tool" generated arguments are not solving his problem" What I stated was sound advice. Just because you don't agree does not make the other advice bad.
Along with a shop, I have two trucks on the road along with a lot of large construction equipment and farm equipment, that I fuel/maintain.
Removing the screen in the tank is not going to destroy the motor. There is two more filter that are designed to remove any contamination. (A gas only has one more filter so Why would it be OK to remove the filter in the tank on a gas engine??

Hi guys, i`am buying a 1512D off epay and would like some info on it 1. Total weight for shipping.
I think it has the 44 in deck so i`ll need the footprint size for the Cub. If you guys could tell me where i could get some general info on it i would say thanks.I will get the service manual as soon as it arrives here. Thanks Don T
1a_scratchhead.gif

just checked back to see if I got and answer
1a_scratchhead.gif
, and no I did not. I did buy a 1512 Diesel and I do use a diesel conditioner in it. I love the power and fuel usage for sure. Thanks Don T

We're stuck with ULSD, ultra low sulphur diesel fuel. This is much "dryer" (less lubricity) than the previous fuels, but as we know, no choice anymore.

I use a sulphur substitute than aids in gelling issues and keeps nozzles clean, good stuff. I always pick it up at Fleet Farm but I think the NAPA guy sells it now also.

I heard too many horror stories about the ULSD's affect on pumps and injectors of the older diesels, not taking any undo risks since Kubota parts are rather um, pricey! Just my $.02...

Latest posts

Back