• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

147 Cub Cadet how Do I find out what PTO rebuild kit is correct?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There may be a bushing on one side that you have to remove to get the arm to tilt enough to get it out when you slide it all the way to one side.

thanks, I have the front Grille and chassis unbolted and it is loose but won't come off, it feels like the PTO engagement linkage ("T" shaped bar in front of PTO) is holding the grill from coming completely off.
is there something I am not seeing to remove the linkage first?

View attachment 155452To
Thank you for the help, the Item #21 in the diagram is somehow inserted into holes in the side of the chassis grill. there are no separate brackets holding the assembly to the frame. View attachment 155461
There’s a cotter pin that keeps it from sliding out of the holes in the grill casting. If you use a puller to remove the pto you will need to remove the grill casting. I usually unscrew the turnbuckle on the rod to alllow the lever to go forward until it hits the casting. I then take a piece of wood and put it in the groove on each side of the pulley and give it a whack. Usually takes a whack or two from each side to drive the pto off the bearing. Just make sure you have all the set screws out of the pto before trying to remove the pto.

That picture is deceiving.
There is a sleeve surrounding the shaft for that lever and is retained by a cotter pin
Remove the cotter pin and slide the sleeve off the shaft.
This allows enough room to remove the assembly.
This should be obvious

Thank you, I figured the Mule Drive might be hiding something. I appreciate all the help!

"If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."

There is no cotter pin, or bushing. You go not have to remove the mule drive, remove all 6 bolts and remove the PTO rod from the arm and the grill housing should come right off. You will have to move the PTO arm side to side to achieve this....

DSC06497.JPG

Last edited:
There is no cotter pin, or bushing. You go not have to remove the mule drive, remove all 6 bolts and remove the PTO rod from the arm and the grill housing should come right off. You will have to move the PTO arm side to side to achieve this....

View attachment 155478
Whew I'm not nuts yet!!! I couldn't remember a cotter pin or any kind of bushing when I did my 147

Guess I was thinking of wide frame not narrow frame. Sorry for the confusion.

Just a quick note on getting set screws as well as any fastener including steering wheel, spray Kroll oil on intended item let set a while I haven't had hardly an issue since. On steering wheels I loosen the nut spray it put a Allen screw in shaft use appropriate puller comes off almost with very minimal effort.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

a lot of wear on that friction disc, I am pretty sure it is the original one from 1971. I replaced all the components. The PTO works great now. I am troughing the belt. I also replaced the two mule pulleys and I think the one Mule arm on the left is twisted which may be contributing to the belt coming off.

View attachment 155507View attachment 155508View attachment 155509

a lot of wear on that friction disc, I am pretty sure it is the original one from 1971. I replaced all the components. The PTO works great now. I am troughing the belt. I also replaced the two mule pulleys and I think the one Mule arm on the left is twisted which may be contributing to the belt coming off.
It's not going to work great for long man. You have the wrong center spring for that style PTO. Once things loosen up a little, that spring is going to move and bind up and cause damage. You need the single spring like the one it had in it. It also looks like it's not set right. Did you have the correct tool to do that?
1696855425211.jpeg

Latest posts

Back