1440 Charging and PTO problem

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgallagher

displayname
David Gallagher
I am working on a 1440 for a friend. The discharge light stays on when the electric PTO is engaged. After a time the PTO wil not engage at all. He has a new battery. All of my experience is with the 1X8 and 1X9 series. Any ideas?? Thanks

Dave, I know little/nothing about a 1440. But.. there have been situations on the main forum where the "potting" material in an electric clutch fell apart/out of the clutch assy. Maybe eyeball the clutch and see if material is falling out of it. Also put a meter on it between the power wire and the chassis and see what the resistance is. That info may help others to help you. A.

I have a 1440 and have the same problem, have not dug into it yet but suspect I have a charging/rectifier problem?

Hope I am permitted to shake the bushes again on where to start trouble shooting the charging system on Model 1440 w/B&S Vanguard 14HP. Only getting 12.8 vdc while running and when flip PTO on Charge lite comes on.

Thanks! WJ

O.K. Got my 28+-AC from stator but only 12.8+- on red output from rectifier/regulator.

One could assume, (Oh No!!) I need a rectifier?

What does the voltage sensor part #929-3080 (Little round thingy) replacing 725-3165 do?

Thanks!
WJ

I have a Cub Cadet 1440. As soon as I engage the PTO/Mower, the Amp Light comes on, even at full throttle. Then when I get into Higher Grass the mower seems to bog down.

Wayne: My amp light once came on with my 782 equipped with a Kohler Mag 18 motor the same way you describe; it turned out that the magnets had come loose inside the flywheel so the "alternator" wasn't functioning properly. The engine ran fine off the magneto, it didn't need the battery; but nothing else worked right, including the lights. Your mowing issue could be due to the PTO not getting enough current to hold itself in properly.

So, I suggest checking the output of the alternator under load, that is, do full current test, not just voltage.

I suppose a bad voltage regulator would also cause charging, and/or running problems.

Finally, have the battery's health checked too; it may not be able to store sufficient charge.

Just some thoughts for you to consider, hope you get it sorted out.

Latest posts

Back