• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

1440 Charging and PTO problem

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgallagher

displayname
David Gallagher
I am working on a 1440 for a friend. The discharge light stays on when the electric PTO is engaged. After a time the PTO wil not engage at all. He has a new battery. All of my experience is with the 1X8 and 1X9 series. Any ideas?? Thanks

Dave, I know little/nothing about a 1440. But.. there have been situations on the main forum where the "potting" material in an electric clutch fell apart/out of the clutch assy. Maybe eyeball the clutch and see if material is falling out of it. Also put a meter on it between the power wire and the chassis and see what the resistance is. That info may help others to help you. A.

I have a 1440 and have the same problem, have not dug into it yet but suspect I have a charging/rectifier problem?

Hope I am permitted to shake the bushes again on where to start trouble shooting the charging system on Model 1440 w/B&S Vanguard 14HP. Only getting 12.8 vdc while running and when flip PTO on Charge lite comes on.

Thanks! WJ

O.K. Got my 28+-AC from stator but only 12.8+- on red output from rectifier/regulator.

One could assume, (Oh No!!) I need a rectifier?

What does the voltage sensor part #929-3080 (Little round thingy) replacing 725-3165 do?

Thanks!
WJ

I have a Cub Cadet 1440. As soon as I engage the PTO/Mower, the Amp Light comes on, even at full throttle. Then when I get into Higher Grass the mower seems to bog down.

Wayne: My amp light once came on with my 782 equipped with a Kohler Mag 18 motor the same way you describe; it turned out that the magnets had come loose inside the flywheel so the "alternator" wasn't functioning properly. The engine ran fine off the magneto, it didn't need the battery; but nothing else worked right, including the lights. Your mowing issue could be due to the PTO not getting enough current to hold itself in properly.

So, I suggest checking the output of the alternator under load, that is, do full current test, not just voltage.

I suppose a bad voltage regulator would also cause charging, and/or running problems.

Finally, have the battery's health checked too; it may not be able to store sufficient charge.

Just some thoughts for you to consider, hope you get it sorted out.

Latest posts

Back