• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

149 Starter Generator/Charging Woes

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweimann

displayname
Kenny Weimann
Working on a friend's 149 did 12 v test and S/G ramps up then brakes when F terminal is energized. VR hasn't worked in years. Was told the Armature stud on the S/G should be putting out 14 or more volts, it's only putting out 3 volts. Any ideas? VR is not connected, battery new and fully charged. Grounded the field terminal and the ammeter jumps to full charge so I thing the S/G is ok. Thanks

Armature is the starter side...shouldn't be output from that with the tractor running. 14V+ from the FIELD terminal would be normal. Everything else you describe indicates the starter/generator is functioning properly. Not sure what the question is here.

Ironically, I get 3vdc from EITHER terminal to ground.

Armature is the starter side...shouldn't be output from that with the tractor running. 14V+ from the FIELD terminal would be normal. Everything else you describe indicates the starter/generator is functioning properly. Not sure what the question is here.
Why only 3 vdc from the field terminal?

Well, I ordered the Correct, albeit Expensive Voltage Regultor off of Ebay and now she is charging just fine. A word to the wise, when I first started it up she spiked at 17 volts. I ran it for a few minutes like that, shut it off, then restarted it a few minutes later and she was at 14.7/14.8 vdc charging. All good now,

Link to the video

Link to Ebay ad for the regulator
https://www.ebay.com/itm/285144797340

Thanks,
Kenny

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back