• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

WWII Farmall H

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a parts tractor last week in Lapeer. Bought a complete H with a locked motor for $400. That will really knock down the shopping list in one trip. That will give me fenders, wheels, rims and tires to get started with. Now I just have to find a trailer to go get it. Funny part is it looks better than what I'm trying to restore.
facepalm.gif
whistling.gif

Oh, forgot to mention that I got the heat shield in the other day and was I ever impressed. Never seen one in as good of condition as this is. Can't wait to see it in action!

Looks like tomorrow is the day to go pick up the donor tractor. Probably out late at work and up early to get the trailer from Mom and Dads house. Hoping to have every thing done so I can be back to work @ 2pm. Wish me luck.

Brian NO speeding it's not worth the ticket, It can really spoil a trip BTDT

good luck

if the h has a cast iron shift knob its is a war model tractor im thinking around 1943 in to 45 if im wrong some one please correct me, but im pretty sure it should be a 1943 war model ive had two of them some say they are rare they came with no rubber tires or rubber shift knob

Roger & Tom,

Yes, it is a 42 and has the steel shift knob on it. My grandparents cut the steel off or replaced it as you can see in the pictures, as soon as they could get rubber credits they changed it over. I want to find a set of steel down the road but I'm going to get it going first and worry about the steel later.

Brian, IH used the cast iron gear shift know during the war years to keep the "flow" of rubber going to the war effort. That's the reason for the cast iron knob.

Been meaning to down load these pictures and post them. This is my new parts tractor. Kind of funny that it looks better than what I'm trying to restore.
dizzy.gif

Oh, I know...it has the wrong rear hubs. The price of the tractor was worth the sheet metal and fenders.

246764.jpg

246765.jpg

246766.jpg

BRIAN - You may want to hang on to those cast rear wheels. Those are from a late 300, 350 or 460 with the standard small 2-1/2" axles, but they use a Double Bevel rim which is MUCH cheaper and easier to find than the Deep Well version the 6-spoke H wheels used. You can get rims up to 18" wide for 20.8X38 tires.

I'd like to find a set of those type wheels for my '51 M (2-3/4" axles) so I could mount the rims on the wheels in a narrower position so I could trailer it without having to remove a wheel and flip it around to narrow it up. Even with the cast wheels dished "OUT" an H is narrow enough to fit on most car trailers with the cast wheels set all the way in to within 1/4" of the bearing & seal caps on the ends of the axle carriers, but an M has longer axle carriers, and can only be narrowed up to about 83-84", and most car trailers are only 80-82".

I also noticed the left front wheel is "Correct" for a '42 H, has the single position clamp-on rim. The right frt wheel is the later optional, then about 1947 became "Standard" adjustable tread width frt rim.

And I'm really impressed with how straight ALL the sheet metal is on your parts donor tractor. It'll save hundreds of hours of labor on body work.

Any one have an idea what model IH plow would have been appropriate for a 1941 H.
1a_scratchhead.gif
I've been keeping a look out for a plow to go with the tractor once it gets done but I don't know what the model number would be.

IH #8 Little Genius, 2-14" bottoms, preferably a "trip plow", mechanical lift as opposed to hyd. lift.

But if you're really going to plow like at PD's, look for a plow that's been converted or origianlly was hyd. lift.

Plows on steel wheels & rubber tires both available, your choice.

Brian,
Just like the one out my window. This one belonged to my Grandpa. I plowed with is several times with my 1947 H. It's a nice match for the H.
283478.jpg

I'm going to keep my eyes open for one. It would really be nice to have one on rubber but either would be great to have. My folks only had oliver plows so my knowledge of the others is pretty slime.

BRIAN - I better warn you, IH built almost 67,000 #8 Little Genius plows from 1928 to 1960 according to C.H.Wendell's book, 150 yrs of IHC, Dad had two of them, both 3-14's on rubber, one factory hyd lift, the other converted to hyd lift with the IH kit. They were an O-K plow in low trash conditions, like a CC PD, but even in the 100-125 bushel/acre corn stalks of the 1960's trying to plow with one was futile unless you chopped & disked the stalks, and even then you'd still plug occasionally. For comparison, today's corn makes 200-250 BPA, and the stalks are hard and tough, about like green tree branches. Just not enough trash clearance. Dad had notched coulters on one, and convex disk coulters on the other, the notched coulters worked much better. And cover boards were almost manditory to do a clean job of plowing.

Eventually when Dad bought a green tractor he tried a green plow... with yellow wheels, pulled harder than the IH, it didn't stay around long, tractor was gone by late April, early May, plow was gone that fall. Next he tried a Case plow, 4-14's, was newer design than the IH #8, much more trash clearance, and having to pull out of the furrow and loop around to clear trash became a rare occurance as opposed to a frequent one like with the #8's. Even without chopping & disking stalks.

I remember Dad & I trying to set out a land in fall of '64 to fall plow un-disked & un-chopped corn stalks on the 80 he rented. Had the Super M-TA on the good #8. A round should have taken 12 minutes with no stops to unplug the plow. We finally gave up about 500 feet from completing the first round after almost FOUR hours.

If you just want a plow to be yard art, a #8 is the right plow. If you grease the bottoms up after they get shined up like mirrors it should work good to plow a garden. But if you want to plow at BIG tractor plow days, an IH #60 would be a MUCH better choice, they're all on rubber, hyd. lift, and much more trash clearance, both horizontal & vertical. A #70 has even more clearance, but the smallest IH made in a #70 was a 4-bottom convertible to a 3, nothing in a 2 btm. A #60 will be more money than a #8, there's not near as many of them, but wear parts are easier to find for them.

IH's #700 series plows are still bringing good money on farm auctions because of their HUGE trash clearance. You lower one of those down till the the bottoms of the plow shares are sitting on top of the ground, you could drive a Cub Cadet between the bottoms if it wasn't for the coulters. Those plows are still made today, almost totally unchanged from IH's design by Artsway as they're #7501 plow.

ALSO.... nothing wrong with an Oliver plow, several neighbors pulled them with all different colors of tractors. Pulled even easier than the IH, did a clean job of plowing, and with proper set-up plowed really well. Probably the best plow of the 40's & 50's era.

Service manual set ordered from Binder Books, can't wait!!!
greenthumb.gif

Hope to have a major over haul kit ordered in a few weeks, still researching. Want to make sure I get the best quality parts that I can.

OEM parts for $875, seems like a great deal for a major overhaul kit! AI, Tisco and MaxPower were running between $600 and $780 for a major rebuild. For a little extra Case/IH seems like the better way to go.
1AA_dance2.gif

Found a plow in decent shape from a young fella in Holland. Its got 2-16's and a mechanical trip, should look nice behind the H. Just need to find trash boards and the piece that bolts to the end of the moldboard.

300035.jpg

OK, next question. What disk harrow models would have been common in the letter series day for IH? Really don't need one yet but never hurts to keep an eye out.

Latest posts

Back