• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

WWII Farmall H

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mag is off to repair but after checking with the shop to make sure it arrived safely they mentioned that it could be a paper weight due to its condition.... I guess I was supposed to remove the mud daubers nest from the cap before shipping. Whoops! Both ends of mechanism were free so I just figured it could be saved. Maybe looking for a new unit at Red Power this week.

Just a few update pictures.

The Mag has returned!
306187.jpg

Carb rebuild in progress.
306188.jpg

306189.jpg

Nice Brian! That carb looks much nicer than the last 4 letter series I've worked on, A,H,M
That M carb was a mucked up mess, glad to see your progress
greenthumb.gif

Brian B. Your progress and dedication is amazing. Want to do my Dad's 1946 FARMALL H next?
happy.gif

Marlin, Earl

Thanks for the kudos!

Marlin,
If you got 10 or 15 years to spare,sure thing. LOL!

I've dreamed of fixing this one up since I was a 4 or 5 year old playing on it at Grandma and Grandpas farm. Its just a shame that there gone now and won't be here to see it finished, or at least I'm praying I get it finished.

Lessons learned on the way: Search out and buy the 'COMPLETE' carb kit and I mean the one with all the bolts for the bowl, the choke shaft dust seal, choke detent ball, needle packing and ALL! Very important to have this stuff because, there worn out and if there not it will be soon and/or not done correctly by the last person that was in there(just my opinion on the last part).

The main jet needle in the carb I bought was rusted and the packing was also junk after the parts cleaner. The dust seal for the choke plate was destroyed and may have been original judging by the steel cap piece holding what was left of the packing. The idle jet nearly didn't come out of the lower section due to being spread open by what I'm guessing was the wrong tip screw driver. The needle and seat were usable as it was the newer style neoprene tip but I replaced it any way just to be sure. Also in hind sight I should have found some one to bead blast the exterior just to get the exterior perfect but I figured it was good enough for me.

I'm stuck on 12 hour shifts so I've got to do what I can from home after work so this is what I've been doing.

Brian B. My Mom GAVE the implement dealer my dad's 1946 H when she bought the 966. She wouldn't even let me have it. I bought it back in pieces. About 95% original parts. It was made into a Super H. My Mom was like that though. She wouldn't let me keep her Dad's 1948 Buick either.

Marlin,

Sorry to hear that it ended up that way. Good that you ended up with it in the end though.

Picked up a distillate manifold in sweet condition at Red Power. This one was in better shape than the original one I bought for it.

306317.jpg

306318.jpg

Brian I admire how you are working on the H. I have my name and an old Sears lawn tractor from the late 70's from my mother's father. I've been threatening for 10 years now to restore it and your doing an H!!
When I last worked on those letter series I had a parts trailer packed full of parts from 1920-60 or so to find pieces in. I used and original(most of it anyway) carb kit from 51.

Brian: Just read your thread through from beginning to end. Looking at the pictures of what you started with, I'ld say you're performing more of a resurrection than a restoration.
smile.gif

Truly a labor of love. Thanks for sharing about your grandparents.

Looks like you're becoming quite the capable restorerer. Good Work!
thumbsup.gif

Thank You Kraig and Jeremiah!

It's either a labor of love or stupidity not sure which. LOL.

My goal is a restoration some where in between factory original and close to show condition. Unless I can find a full set of steel in my back yard it will never be 100% as my grandparents bought it in the early 40's. The real bummer is the full set of two row stearable culitivators that are gone. Grrrrr. Oh well.

Picked up an old school front wheel hub for the H. Now I have a pair between my parts tractor and this one. My thought is that this will help to give it the old style feel of the older generation Farmalls.

307353.jpg

Latest posts

Back