• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

What the diff - K17 and a K17QS

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylschmidt

displayname
Darryl Schmidt
I bought a red 782 with a bad engine and it has an extra used engine with it.... the engines look the same but the model plate says "K17QS" the engine in the tractor says K17. Can anyone tell me what might be different on these engines.. it dose not say SERIES II anyplace. any ideas?
Thanks...Darryl

Darryl,
The 17hp K17QS for Cub Cadets 682, 782, 784 is a replacement engine. Replaces spec #s 24115, 24136, 24173, 54193, 24146, 24232, 24302.
I doubt there's to many differences.

Thanks Charlie. given that these engines kinda have a short life, do you think new rods & rings should be done or do they just go when they go...

To be real honest, I don't have a clue. I've never owned one myself, but I'm sure someone will chime in here and let us both know.
thumbsup.gif

If they are used on flat terrain and maintained, they will last. Poor maintenance appears to have killed at least 3 of the 4 blown ones I have had. What's the spec number of both engines?

If that relacement engine is a series II, you could check and see if it has the oil filter block-off plate. If it does you could put the remote oil filter system on it that is found on the magnum 18 engines. If that engine doesn't smoke or show any signs of being worn out, I wouldn't do a thing to it. Somebody gave you bad info on K17's. They will last a long time if properly maintained. I think the big problem with the series I is that people didn't pay attention to the owner's manual which specifically says you can't use it on certain terrain like hillsides. You'll really get addicted to those 82 series.

Thanks... the engine is not a series II... it looks real good and the guy said dose not have alot of hours the mod # K17QS spec 24301 the pto shaft is only 1 inch so I'll have a bushing made..I think it well be just fine.... thanks all..

Matt >
Adrian>
Thanks alot... I'm going to work on it this wk end. thanks for the infromation and input
Darryl

Back