• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Weight?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edale

displayname
Everett Dale
How much weight is too much weight? I'm putting 110 pounds of wheel weights on my 982 and I've built a rear rack that I can put another 150lbs on if I want too. Plus me at 160. That's over 400 pounds. Will I be burning up bearings or stressing the hydro with this kind of weight? I know the 982s are tough but how tough? Oh and the QA42 on the front adds about 80 or better.

-everettdale

Everett Dale
I have 2 75lbs and 2 25lbs and liquid filled 65 lbs along with an amo box at 165=500 and my 230 lbs on my 129 with the loader and it works great for me

Unless you're running a loader, I wouldn't do anymore except maybe fill the tires. I've got 140lbs of ballast and 50lbs of wheel weights, plus my 220lbs on the 782 and that was more than enough for plowing. I actually caught a tree root one time with the plow and I didn't even loose traction. The front end rose up about 3ft before I backed off the hydro and raised the plow. I would've probably broke the hitch or something in the rear before loosing traction.

Everett, I go about 340 plus 2 42's and 2 26's with loaded 10.50's and chains. when I first started blowing snow. Thats in the area of 560 on a 72. And that QA42 in front of the front axle subtracts wieght from the rear axle when it's in the up position.

In my winter gear I am almost 400lbs and that is all the weight that I use on my 1450.

Dad has a 149 with approx 40lbs in each tire, and then me on the seat. So I dont think that you will have problems with the weight you are adding. Also, remember any weight that is added to the wheel, does not add weight to the bearings, just to the ground......

So in your case, your 160 + 150 on the rear rack the bearings are only feeling = 310lbs, but if you were to weight the tractor it would be 420lbs heavier.....

Your extra weight is less than me just sitting on the seat.........

During my winter, i have a 782 with a QA42 snowblower on front, a homemade steel cab on the tractor, 300 lbs. of tractor suitcase weights on the back on a weight bracket, and my 250 lbs with snow gear inside.

So what I'm hearing here is that my 982 should be able to handle a thousand pounds over all without stressing it. Good news. I'll see what I've got laying around and strap it on.

-everettdale

1000 lbs. is overkill, especially for a snowthrower in my opinion. I've only got about 300 lbs. on my 782, and that is more than enough. 1000 lbs. of extra weight brings the tractor above 2000 lbs, which is probably more than a Cub Lo-Boy. Heck, Farmall A's and B's don't weight too much more than that. If that weight is on the frame, the bearings will probably not last nearly as long. ALL of my added weight is in the tires or bolted to the wheels.

If you aren't pushing the snow, you don't need as much weight....

I agree with Matt G. with 1000# being way overkill. These are NOT big tractors and should never be expected to work like they are either. One nice little rule to consider is do you have something that will easily pull the tractor out when you get stuck with it?
biggrin.gif
My 125 has two IH weights, 36" snowthrower, myself (275#) and the weight of the tractor and I seem to do just fine with that.

I'd stick to putting weight to the tires (ballast/wheel weights). It won't be necessary to add anymore since you're only putting a QA42 on that 982. Remember you won't be pushing snow with a thrower so you won't need near as much weight.

Ok, so 500 total extra weight maybe. Me 165, QA-42 125(?) wheel weights 110, and maybe 100 pounds on the rear rack?

Kyle seems to have upwards of 700 pounds depending on the weight of that steal cab. And that is on a 782 which I believe is a slightly smaller machine.

all I know is that last year I was having spinouts with just chains and wheel weights. Of course the snow was really bad here last year.

Speaking of last year. There was a lot of talk about ballast in the wheels. Anyone got any new developments in that area.

-everettdale

I recommend having rimguard(beetjuice) put in the rears. On the 782 they put just over 70lbs in each tire for 50 bucks, not bad.

I've heard of beet juice, I think maybe here last year. Non toxic if I remember. Who offers it, and if I do remember right it was suggested that it be put into tubes and not directly into the tire its self. Not for any anti corrosion reasons but as an accidental leak preventive measure.

-everettdale

you can go to rimguard.com and call them they'll give you the nearest location. I don't have tubes and a few of the guys I know don't have tubes but it wouldn't be a bad idea if you're worried about springing a leak since it would be wasted money.

The address for rimgaurd is rimgaurd.biz not .com for anyone else that is interested. Thank for the info Adrian it's an interesting solution. (pun intended)
happy.gif

-everettdale

Latest posts

Back