• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

WD-45

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tturner

displayname
Tyler Turner
Can you believe my luck?
A simple rewiring project on my Allis turned into possibly having to overhaul the engine. I just had look under the stupid valve cover; and guess what I found- anti-freeze...CRAP. I drained some of the oil out and there doesn't seem to be any anti-freeze in the oil. The oil tastes, looks, and smells like oil. I am a 17 year old red power farmer, so any help on this #%&@ Allis would be great. I think that it may just be a freeze plug (there appears to be 2), but it probably won't be something that easy to fix. Thanks in advance Tyler

Tyler,
I'm not an Allis expert but anti-freeze under a valve cover usually means a cracked head or head gasket to me. You need to drain ALL the oil out in a clean pan and then look for the anti-freeze.
You dint say what Allis yo were workin on.

It is a WD-45 1955-6 model. We purchased it from the original owner about 5 years ago at his estate sale. It is really clean. I will try to get a picture up here. It had NEVER left his farm until we bought it. Also, it has the wide front on it.

Tyler,
Ya know I think I just had a senior moment, cause I saw the WD45 at the top and wondered why you had that in there and what WD45 had to do with a dang tractor!!!!!!!!
stupid.gif

I didn't want to say anything because you help us all WAY too much.

That's Ok Charlie, I "read" WD-40 (the spray) and thought this could be a interesting thread.

John
roflol.gif

TYLER - You need help with parts just ask..... I have a Buddy that has quite an Allis collection. Mostly D-17 diesels, but does have one gasoline Series IV D-17, a D-14 gas, and a D-12 Industrial among a BUNCH of diesels. The engines in the D-17 gas & WD-45 are almost identicle. He doesn't have any problem finding parts. I can get You names & phone numbers.

Tyler- I would say that the head gasket took a dump. The WD's and the WD-45's were noted for that. Does yours have a factory wide or an after market?? also does it have power steering. I had a WD that had factory power steering. Still wish that I had that tractor but it had to go due to circumstances beyond my control.

It is a factory wide front. No power steering. We looked at it last night and think that the leak may be coming from a seal that the valve sits on. What do you think? We think this because the anti freeze is only above the exaust valve of cylinder #4. Thanks abunch Tyler.

Tyler, sounds like you either have a cracked head or a leaking core plug. When you get the head off, the block will almost certainly be cracked between the cylinders at the top. More of the 201/226 blocks (yours should be a 226 if its definitely a WD45. WC's & WD's used the 201) are cracked than aren't. Don't worry, the new head gasket will seal them. The last WD built was 146606. First 45 is 146607. You'll find the SN stamped in the rear axle near the left brake cover. May have to scrape paint off to read it. The 201 engine has a metal plate bolted to the right side of the block. The 226 is all cast iron on the right. A 201 head on a 226 engine will not have enough compression to run, plus some of the head bolts are different length. A 226 head on a 201 block will yield somewhere around 12:1 compression. Great for pullers, not for general use. I know of a couple good sources for parts if you need them.

Thanks for the info; I am positive that it is a WD 45 because of the condition; plus it was a one owner machine. The farmer bought a WD brand new, then 2 years later bought a brand new WD45. I got it running and it doesn't blow white smoke like you think that it should. There doesn't appear to be any anti freeze in the oil. I wonder if the seals for the exuast valve of cylinders 3 & 4 are leaking, because that is the only place that there was anti-freeze. Thanks for all of the info Tyler

Latest posts

Back