• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

They're backkkkkkkk...GOLD RUSH...2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, finally some activity here! LOL..

Todd H., now that boy has gold fever! He's gonna make his goal and no-one or nothing will be allowed to stand in his way!

Wonder how long Dave T. will stand for it?

After watching tonight's episode, regarding the three claims:

On the Big Nugget mine, I'm proud of Parker taking responsibility for his own and other's safety by shutting down the Discovery claim. That road looked awfully sketchy to me.

On Porcupine Creek, I still don't understand why an excavator can't seem to keep its tracks on, even when it is "stationary" in the bottom of the pit. I have to say, too, that Fred doesn't seem to be to bad a guy, his crew is certainly more "together" than any of the others. You really get the sense that they're all in it together, even if they have their differences. (I loved it when the girl found the cracks and Dustin went and got the dredge to work the hole. Ole dad had to eat his words, but he did, and I'm proud of him.)

As far as Indian River goes, the "Hoffman crew" could help itself most, in my opinion, by keeping their fearless leader OFF the equipment. Todd Hoffman is respected by all the crew members, and he is willing to take a leadership role; he certainly has passion and vision --all valuable qualities-- but he needs to let others run the equipment and listen a little bit to what they're telling him. I think he makes a good cheer leader but not so good an operator. If he (or someone else) had been watching the plant and supervising its operation, they wouldn't have washed any gold out (which I'm sure they did, even though they made their 100 oz).

Again, just my opinion after watching what the editors put on the screen.

Jeremiah,

First off I think that Fred and his crew are actually the best of the whole cast.

Fred is a hard nosed "Get 'er done" construction kind guy, the others are (except Dave Turin(sp)) wanna' be equipment operators/mining engineers.

If you look at the big picture Fred ahs a crew of 3 with the old equipment from the Hoffman operation take over. If I'm not mistaken Fred & Co. are at about 135 oz. The Hoffman & Co. has at least 10 guys working there, and I think at about the 500 oz point. Think of all the iron and running costs they have and the split of the $$$ X 10 = not too much.

And then there is the Schnaubl (sp) kid. He's working hard and learning, but let's face it he just fell into it. Grandpa John did all the work.

As far as tracks falling off, the excavator is not as stationary as you may think. You have to realize that when you are digging you are putting down pressure on the boom which lifts the track off the ground and then addd in the pulling force on tracks that are loose and on uneven/rocky ground they can and will come off. Fred & Co. excavation is completely different from the others.

And as for Hoffman & Co's running the large rock though the plant, if you going to that you need to close the grizzly so you don't overload the hoppers.

I've have my share of running a plant similar to "Big Red" just not mining for gold. My time on the plant was in the sand an gravel and concrete crushing operations. I can tell you one thing though, if you not paying attention a small rock the size of a golf ball can really mess up things. Todd can't/shouldn't be cuting the corners. SPEED KILLS, safty first slow down.

Thanks for stopping by, Tom. Good info. I would love to watch the show with you and hear you riff on the operations.
happy.gif

I pull my hair out watching that show, but I guess that's the "entertainment" biz.

Tom and I share that "experience", I've worked in sandpits and for concrete companies back when I was young(er).. Our tallest stacker conveyor was 110 foot tall! It was a center pivot so when the pile was tall enough you towed it to one side or the other and kept running!

Tracks running in sand and water seem to wear out even faster (maybe that's cause I had to fix'em??) and when they've got the whole machine in the water like that, they have no idea what there setting on or if they are on something solid.

That one machine that Fred got from the Hoffmans certainly doesn't owe them much! Seems like all those guys just run the snot out of their gear, you never hear or see any of them doing any maintenance until it breaks down but that might be because of the tv show.

Mike, I agree. Tha 270 spends more time running with the doors open than not. There is obviously a overheating problem. That has to be the last season for that machine.

I'm beginnig to wonder if there is going to be another season of Gold Rush? Parker is out of ground, as we said Fred is about to the botton of the cone and machine issues and the Hoffman crew....sound like they are out of land too. I have to say that the show may have run it's course.

Tom: But, hey, Todd never got the super Trammel running; the "show-down" between the two machines never materialized, we'll have to see if he can get working in the off-season. (Do you think the manufacturer will repair it under warranty?)
smile.gif

I would be MIGHTY pissed if he didn't. Plus he should pay for the loss of production.

A few weeks back I watched the episode where tha Hoffman left their claim and went to Indian River (Dave's claim) or whatever it is.

I told my wife why the hell would you spend all that time, money and effort to strip off all that overburden just to leave it there?? Well I knew they were going to haul it over to Indian River. Retired and still moving dirt! <font size="-2">(But I love it)</font>

Hi Guys, Good discussion going on the Gold Rush show. I to have been watching it since it came on years ago. It's getting a little old watching Todd Hoffman make bold statements without a plan to accomplish them.

I'm thinking maybe Dave Turin will venture out on his own and take a couple key helpers with him. I'm also thinking that Todds investor might be more willing to bankroll Dave since he has proved he can manage and accomplish what he sets out to do. Look at the Gold those 4 guys pulled in before Todds gang showed up. The investors might actually get a better return with Dave vs Todd. We'll see.

Well, it looks like the end of an era. Todd's crew is down two men, Chris Duomitt and Craig Remsburg are moving on; but it looks like Dave Turin is hanging with Todd as they go to South America for gold. Parker Schnaubel is going to the Klondike to mine with the Dutch fellow (and his daughter). Fred and his son are moving up the creek to get gold out of the rock. We'll see the Hoffman crew on the "Off Season" show.

Everyone by Todd hit their number on the gold; he was over 100 oz short of his target of 1,000 oz.

I find the human part of the stories more compelling than the technical mining aspects of it. I really felt for Parker's mom trying to support her son's NOT going to college.
smile.gif

Jeremiah, I did have to chuckle when Hoffman Sr. told Fred Hurt that he'd have gotten to the bottom of the hole!

Mike Hicks, remember that it's a show first, things are NOT what they appear to be. It's edited for "entertainment".. NO investor tosses out cash without a plan in place, just doesn't happen! So don't think for a moment that Todd hasn't done some homework. Just like tonite, do you really believe that all those men standing at the table didn't already know firsthand how much gold they had collected? It was all staged for our entertainment... In Todds 3rd year his crew got 800 ounces, Fred Hurt and Parker combined never found 800 ounces in a year!

Mike and all - I think you really have to figure on the basis of how much gold they got per man (and 1 woman). I'm thinking the Dakota Boys (and woman) won out. The real problem now is all the holes are dead. Need new ground. I happen to like Parker and his Grandpa, and frankly was surprised with all that talk of moving north where the Swede or Dutch guy is (and wouldn't surprise me if they just did that for the show). Seems to me if I was Parker I'd be getting with his Dad and figuring out how make that road wider, or I'd be trading in those 2 trucks for a couple smaller ones that could make the turn where that 300' drop is. That claim up the hill looks to me to be a bonanza just waiting. Hope Parker goes for it.

But Harry, where Parker was getting that paydirt wasn't his, he had to pay a share to the owner. Plus hauling it back to his plant was eating up the worth of that dirt. The Big Nugget mine is played out, nothing worth much there anymore.

And I wish (like you) that the show would tell us the share per person also. Like they do on the crab fishing show. Todd & crew did gather the most but they also had the highest costs!

There must be money in it, they keep coming back for more!! :cool:

Yes I agree it's entertainment and are right about the behind the scenes planning. It will be interesting to see how they're next season works out. I to am a little curious how the Dakota gang intend to mine up in the mountain without any access.

About the question of how much Gold each worker gets, seems like in the first year Todds guys got 5%. Meaning in that year they went home pretty much empty handed.

Harry,
The off road trucks don't get very much smaller.

Mike,
I heard Jack say that too. Very wishfull thinking. You know the saying about works vs action. Coulda', shoulda' and might have are big word to complete.

All,
Here's my question. It "apprears" on the show when they finally call it quits for the season they drive off into the sunset. What happens to the excavation?? I'm sure the DNR would have something to say about how the mine is left. Any tree replanting, restoration, site grading???
Hell, Fred has a 100+ foot hole out there.
I know around this area where I live you have to have a exit plan for the mine when you're dug out.
I thougth I heard some of the crews saying that they were moving 100,000 yards. That's ONE HELL of a BIG HOLE. Condiser this, a hole 100' X 100' X 100' is just a little over 37,000c/yds. I would hate to go for a quick bath when up in god country and find out my tub is 100' deep.
yikes.gif

I see a bunch of people were watching last night and I'm a little late here, but...actual numbers...
Hoffman group, 803 ounces, $1.28 million
Parker and crew, 192 oz, $307,000
Fred+son+lady, 153 oz, $260,000
ADDL NOTE: anyone hear that the special trammel Todd had built and failed, the cost was refunded by the manufacturer. It was repaired and went out to some other location.

Mike - yes I know Parker didn't own that ground (can't recall the name) and had to pay 10% of his find. That seems to be going rate for mining up there. But I recall the pay dirt was quite good AND he didn't have to dig it much. It was already partially dug, or more on the surface. Seems to me it's sittin there just waiting to be washed. I remember when I was a kid my Grandpa lived in Nebraska and worked for the county maintenance. I never understood at the time why he would use dynamite to remove trees. He was the only one on the crew that would use it. Seeing Parker's situation I think I'd get with his Dad and Grandpa, and look at blasting that tree that's on that curve in the road with the 300' drop. The tree root trunk was already partial out of the ground. I'll bet someone that knows how to use dynamite could move that tree to the opposite side of the road, and make it appear to be a cushion on that drop off.

Allen - yes I caught that about the trummel being returned and paid back. The biggest mistake was removing the one before the new one arrived, which didn't get much play last nite.

I still think those guys must get paid something besides their share of the gold. They talk about expenses and how much the daily fuel use costs. They certainly know what their costs are and when it's worth what they are doing. I sure hope Parket doesn't go north. That ground in the north needs a big crew and big equipment. He's got the best plant set up at the Big Nugget, although it's getting old and did have a few break downs, but I see gold and lots of it just up the hill!!! As for the Dakota Boys, well, how do you get that gold "out of the rocks?". I think they have to be crushed and there ya go - a whole different type of operation versus washing the pay dirt.

Latest posts

Back