• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

They're backkkkkkkk...GOLD RUSH...2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aschumacher

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Allen Schumacher
OK, last year we left a bunch of 'new kids' digging for gold in Alaska. It looked like they maybe on to something when they finally got frozen out. We left the 'old man' perched on the side of a deep hole with a big excavator, ready to slide in. But they may have finally gotten some sifting equipment that will yield some gold!
My listings say GOLD RUSH starts Friday, Oct 28 on the Discovery channel. Here in the east they say 9pm. But I see there are reviews from last year on earlier. C U there. A.

Wow, THAT was more drama than I was expecting. I wonder what they're going to do now??

I guess this is how shows like this suck us in...
1a_scratchhead.gif

So far, the show looks much more promising this season than last, especially now that Dakota Fred is talking about the owner of the claim putting it up for sale, I think Fred's up to no good lol

Looks like Dakota Fred is a claim jumpin' back stabber! And they're leader Todd is less than confidence "inspiring".!.! Yes, they sucked me in and I never saw that twist in the drama comin;.!

I just briefly tuned in to the last twenty minutes. I truly can't see Dakota Fred as being any different than a farmer would be in a similar situation. Or for that matter any business-wise person. Remember the old saying, "You snooze. You loose." ? The group's leader apparently lacks that kind of business-leadership savy that is needed and has always been factered in to things. Art A. is correct about being "sucked into" watching the show. That too is being a good business manager. After all... Would you give away the ending in the first episode? The producer's out to make as much money as they can also. And.... That little segment where like those "Real Housewives of.... " programs where the emcee "interviews" the group of women to get their perspective is the same ploy that this and sad to say so many other shows are using to further suck one into watching. It's no small wonder the rest of the world sees the U.S. as they do.

They said a payment got missed while he was out trying to get the other claim going. That opened the door for the lease being broke. 100 years ago they would have shot that old man when he walked on the place. Sounds like it's his own fault.

Dave R. You nailed things right. Sad to say if you really watch these guys and their first instinct/reaction then you will see what their character/personality traits really are. The way the one man started making a fist (that the camera crew was quick to catch) and then the way he was going to "settle" things by going up to have his "own talk" with Dakota Fred. If these guys really think that settling things with their fists is the way to go then being by themselves and away from society is in everyone's best interest. There is a distinct difference between common sense and nonsense.

Well the 'old man' took his excavator and crossed the river almost by himself. They're looking for a new claim to dig somewhere in the Klondike...this should be good. Of course they will find something, or we woun't have a show this season.

Allen, I watched the show because of your original post below. I don't think what Dakota Fred is doing is "business," unless you understand business as sabotaging, back-stabbing, disingenuous, deceitful behavior. There is such a thing as business ethics, although some consider the phrase a non sequitur.

In my view, Dakota Fred jumped the claim, pure and simple.

He may have had a piece of paper, but his actions still weren't "right," again, in my view. The owner, in my opinion, is equally culpable. He appears to be a two-faced coward. If he had a problem with the way his claim was being worked, he should have dealt with the people working the claim, directly. The owner needed to have been the man who journeyed to Porcupine Hill and broke the news.

What's missing with the "its business" crowd, is that all business is fundamentally based on trust. Owner and lease-holder make a commitment to each other to "see it through" and to deal honorably with each other. In the Bible, they called it a covenant, and its is a solemn affair, with one's name and reputation at stake. The legal mumbo-jumbo is supposed to support the understanding between the parties and define each party's responsibilities. Yes, the team leader should have made the payment; but it doesn't say much for the owner's character that he would use the breach as a pretext for selling the property out from under the Hoffmans.

The owner is feckless, in my view.

I could not have controlled my temper as well as the team leader (I think his name was Todd), and I was certainly sympathetic to the guy who wanted to deck Dakota Fred, I wanted to deck him too, and it wasn't even my claim!

Well, I guess I'm hooked.

Its all your fault, Allen
smile.gif

Although it has been many years since I once farmed it is with sadness that I still to this day hear the same type of stories of other farmers renting ground out from other farmers (as was done with my ex-wife and myself on our first farm). I hear of verbal agreements broken (nothing new there either). I remember being in high school when a local farmer was the first to break the hand shake agreement when he sold corn to the local elevator. The elevator owner called the farmer to see why he hadn't delivered the corn as promised. Between the time the handshake agreement was made and the delivery was to have been made corn had taken a nice jump in price so the farmer sold it to another elevator. The farmer's reply was that nothing was in writing and it was only a handshake and nothing would hold up in court. That was in the mid 1960s. End of an era began then. That era was that your handshake was your word of honor. That was over 40+ years ago. A little more about such things as honesty is the best policy. Remember back in the 1980s during the farm crisis? More than one farmer got a write down on the farm they had just purchased or a write down on their bank loan. I recall more than one farmer either putting up a new machine shed or some other new purchase since that freed up their debt obligation. Was it ethical to do so back then? Is it ethical to do such a thing now?

If you sign a contract then you should honor that obligation. Unfortunately the fella failed to make a payment and if the contract was written up that he would be in default then how can you blame the owner of the land for not taking a better offer. Yes, the owner of the property should have been the one to break the bad news in a sense. The owner could have let the sheriff's department break the news also. The owner had every right to do with his land what he wanted to. One may say that, "Gee. The guy only missed one month so give him the benefit of doubt." What if the land owner needed that money to make his payment for something? Is that "another story" then?

As far as being sympathetic to someone that wanted to "deck" someone else for being smarter then they are? As far as having a temper and not being able to control it? Sorry... I've lived through those scenarios. Bad thoughts breed bad actions. Summing things up... As I've always said. "If it doesn't look good on the paper you put it on... Next time use Charmin."
happy.gif

(Commercial starts in ten seconds.....)

I think it would've been better if the property owner would've used the local constables to announce the news rather than having the new owner do it. He didn't have the guts to do his own dirty work, he only made matters worse and isn't deserving of any respect! At his age he should've known the proper way to conduct his business!

Mike F. You're absolutely correct. This could have turned out to be a tragic situation. But... The Sheriff's Department doesn't do such things for free. Even they charge to "deliver the bad news". And one thing that we all must remember is this. The TV show purposely leaves out ALL the elements that led up to what has happened. None of us have all the facts as to what actually led up to this. They do this to help draw people to watch the show. Again... sensationalism and the fact that the TV show can have their own little End of Season #2 recap with the producer interviewing the guys. Thus... the happy ending for the producers of the show i.e. More viewers means more $$$ in their pockets.

<font size="-2">And the operator says forty cents more, for the next three minutes</font>....

And Marlin H., YOU are absolutely correct! They only show us what they need to to create the most drama possible. For example, Todd walks up to his Dad and says, "it's all legal, we gotta go". Yet, they never showwed us anyone looking at documents! It's the same with all these type shows. You cannot believe the majority of what they show us, or accept it as gospel! They control the images and the story! Still must've been a kick in the teeth to travel all the way up there and then find out you've got nowhere to work and the hole was just starting to produce!!
<font size="-2">
Oh, please Mrs. Avery I just gotta talk to her</font>

Oh the fickle finger of fate! Would have joined in earler except a freak snow storm knocked out cable and power for a day. Marlin noted a producer interview after the fact...there is one with Dakota Fred, some very interesting observations there. Also of the guys working the claim. look here:
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/gold-rush-2011-after-show-videos/
<font size="-2">Jeremiah, welcome aboard !
Strange, no comments by Tom H., our operating engineer at the Forum</font>

Im curious to see the yeilds of the Klondike, and Im very interested to see if Dakota Fred gets what he "thinks" is in the former Hoffman glory hole. Good show, even for drama involving heavy equipment.

Another thing that needs to be ointed out is the lack of results last year. The Hoffmans did not make the land owner any money the previous year. The landower must have been getting a cut of the profits because he was complaining about the lack of results.

Imangine if you were a farmer and leased your field for a cut of the profits. Now a guy you leased the land to turned out to be incompetent and someone else, whom you've known for many years, promised results........What to do..... What to do.....

Another thing I found interesting is the price of gold has doubled since the Hoffmans started their gold mining. Now they only need half as much to make a profit. I wonder if the claim lease reflected the price of gold? I wonder why the original owner sold the claim?

It's a soap opera for men!!

Terry B. You've a good thought with the lease. We'll never know the "The Rest of the Story". My ex and I paid cash rent when we farmed and it was always on time. The BTO father/son outfit offered more $$$. The landlord went with them and gave them twenty more acres tillable (corn/bean ground) than we could have. They ripped out all the fences and cut down all the trees which we were explicitly forbidden to do. Five years later though they were broke and foreclosed upon.

Glen,
I'd rather run a wore out P.O.S. CAT D9 than run a TD-24. Those ethings were/are junk!

Back