• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

They're backkkkkkkk...GOLD RUSH...2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeremiah, thanks for reviewing this week. Maybe the 'good guys' will cleanup on gold this year. The thing that still has me frying is that at about the 35 min. mark they had at least 7 commercials in a row! Looked like 9 minutes to me! And we were at closing credits to finally see some gold...
Yup, a lot of money for Diesel fuel it seems, maybe because its in the wilds of Alaska?
Just did some quick checking on diesel fuel, up there its about $4.90 gal. ($1.30 a liter)

Well, I'm glad "the crew" stood up for themselves and told Jack/Todd to test BEFORE digging! Looks like they found a little gold so far. And now the drama of the mechanic... girl friends.. sheesh! LOL..

Allen S. I'm glad that you noticed all the commercials. It seems that every TV channel and every program is more commercials than actual programming. Between the re-hashing after each commercial of what happened during the previous spot between the last set of commercials and then more commercials followed by -repeat the previous writing... Has anyone ever wondered just show much actual new footing there really is in each episode of anything nowadays? Geezz... they treat everyone like we all have Attention Deficit Syndrome. <font size="-2">Just imagine the day when it is time to crossover. As your life flashes before your eyes one more time. Every so many miliseconds there is ten minutes of commercials followed about what you just did before those commercials, etc. ... It'll take another hundred years just to finish passing on.
1a_scratchhead.gif
angel.gif
bash.gif
</font>

Marlin,
I think the BIG problem with the equiment they are using that is always falling apart is that is is old equiment. I was running a 980B 30 years ago., and that 400 excavator is about 15-20 years old. They aren't being "used more strenuously" it's that those guys, other than the new guy on the Hoffman crew, are complete and total idiots!
1a_scratchhead.gif
The "I think there's gold here" and "Maybe there's gold there" is lunacy. It's like doing this all day....
bash.gif
Maybe they should
rtfm2.gif
on Gold mining.

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Maybe they should
rtfm2.gif
on Gold mining.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
Tom excellent idea !! Wonder if there is still time to mail them the manual ??
facepalm.gif

I'm catching up on the episodes I missed the last few weeks. The interview with the experienced miner who stated unequivocally, "No drilling, No digging" was revealing. Perhaps that's the only MANUAL required --seems like common sense from here. How did these guys ever get the idea to get started, or figure they were ever going to succeed? Were they approached by the a TV crew with an idea of how to waste two seasons of everyone's time?

Reminds me, the biggest fortune made in 1848 was by the Levi jeans company. Hardware and shovel folks didn't do badly, either.

Just a thought.
smile.gif

Jeremiah C. For some reason the phrase...A Fool's Gold come to mind.
233196.gif

OK, on this istallment of "Idiots in Alaska". Harnesh (sp) just spent 3-4 days making a water filter. In the real world you don't throw suction hose into s--t filled sump hole. Let nature take it course and suspend the suction off the bottom of the crap filled water hole. BTDT 1000's of times. 3-4 day or 15-30 minutes. GAUD my head hurts................

Thanks for the insight, Tom; I thought the water "filter" idea seemed a bit flaky.

I must say, though, it was refreshing to them finally all pitch in to help get the job done, instead of just standing around complaining about how somebody ELSE wasn't working . . .

Felt sorry for the Schnaubel kid, I'm not sure his grandfather did him any favors bequeathing him the mine.

Under Edit: I'm finding I like the "Flying Wild Alaska" show that comes on after the Gold Rush; the girls are easier on the eyes, and the guys are skilled professionals.

Oh and BTW, the Schnaubel kid, I think he's a smart a$$ know it all (or thinks he is). #1, Why would you gravel half of the dirt ramp?? And the low end at that! #2 Does anyone know what a 50 degree angle is??? The narrator doesn't know what the h--- he's talking about either. Ever even try walking up a angle of that degree??

I'm not an engineer but was intrested in how he was going to design his filter.

He builds a container with a screen through the center, pumps dirty water in the bottom and takes clean water out the top.

How clever, WHOOPS, what happens when the bottom gets filled with dirt and crud in about 30 min?

EXACTLY! What we use to do is make a tripod and suspend the intake about 3 feet the bottom. Done.

Ya hello...their first try was dirty water and mud coming out. With the new filter the water comes out clear ! ? Darn efficient filter.

Richard-
I thought the same thing. I was working in the garage watching the show and thought, "Shouldn't he have put a clean out door on that??"

1a_scratchhead.gif

Richard & Art: I noticed that the ends of the "filter" bolted on, so I suspect they intend to take the end off to clean it out.
Now if they had welded it all up, they really would be in a fix!
smile.gif

I've gotta comment on this filter thing.
biggrin.gif

Having owned more than a few claims up that way and still own 3 and messed with prospecting for a long time. (Back in the George ( Buzzard) Massey days, LOL.

The thing with the water/sludge they are sucking through the pump is.
Permafrost and the run off that it creates has TONS of OLD OLD plant material in it.
Once thawed it goes to the consistency of shredded wheat.
NOW unless they are pulling water direct from the creek and that water is clear, which it never is, there's no need for a filter.
But with all those claims up stream, the prehistoric plant material stays suspended in the water no matter how far down stream you go.

The idea of suspending the pump pickup works great in theory, but for the sludge to settle, it would take more than 30 days before you could even think about using the water.

The principle behind that style of filtration is to basically extrude the plant material through the screen to a size that will fit through the nozzles on the over grown sluice/shaker box.

If the water pressure is sufficient enough, it will push water/waste material through the screen as well as filter at the same time. But you have to really regulate the flow to get the perfect volume of gunk and water to make it work perfect.

You notice there were 4 lines going is the end, with one end bolted on, just in case.
What happens is, you shut 2 valves off and back flush, just in case you have an inordinate amount of material buildup, BTDT. LOL

And yes I still have all my sluice boxes, dredging pumps and gold pans!
Believe it or not, there really is a lot of placer gold in Mn., It's just a PITA to get to.

That's my 3 cents on the deal.

Oh yea, they are still dumba$$'s IMHO!

Charlie,
Maybe in addition to plow days we should have gold digging days!! We could use cub loaders and wagons, get everyone together for a weekend or two and GET RICH!!

I think they are all getting smarter, last year they kept saying "Were all going to be Millionaires". Now they would like a hundered thousand or so.
stupid.gif

Charlie,

Believe it or not, there really is a lot of "placer" gold in Mn., It's just a PITA to get to.

What's "placer" gold? Just asking in case I have to up there and kick the dumb outta' their a$$es.

Tom,
Placer gold is kinda the left overs of nuggets, LOL
It's flatter and more regular than regular gold.
It looks like it's been beat and flattened out by rocks over the years.
Here's a little I found down by Spring Valley a few years ago.
233232.jpg

I've actually gotten some pretty good color up my way with flour gold, nothin to write home about, YET!
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Back