• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Super Steer Wheel

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian, great information (and pictures), thanks for posting.

Not to muddy the waters, but I thought the "swept forward" design was part of the genius of the so-called "Super Steer" design. That is to say, one of the ways the tighter turning radius was achieved was through sweeping the axle forward.

Thoughts anyone?

Jeremiah, here's an overhead view of the Super Steer axle that Wyatt C., used on his customized 1x2. Note it's straight. The Super Steer is, I believe due to the stops or clearance cutouts (or lack there of) that are cast into the axle being different than the older axles and the length of the spindle arms.

290020.jpg

There's two steer axle designs: there's the early version with the straight axle and lower 1" spindle, then there's the later design that is swept with taller spindles.

I run a hybrid of the two, low spindle with the swept axle.

290057.jpg

290058.jpg

Wyatt,
Where did you get your front wheels? They look like narrow wheels however they work on 1" spindles.

Chris

Yeah, what Christopher said X2. I have lots of 1" spindle axles, but like narrow wheels on most of my cubs... Where did you get them?

I also would like to know if the swept forward axle causes problems with a snowthrower or blower. Will the front tires clear.

Chris

I can tell you for a fact, that the SS upgrade to a 782 requires adjustments to a QA 42A thrower to make it clear Carlisle Multi-Trac turfs on the front axle. The SS axle pushes the wheels forward like a SGT and the tires don't clear the chain /drive shaft guard. Also the thrower will not lower all the way and the subframe requires clearancing.......BTDT

Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow"

So would the 1512 diesel I have use the same hardware to run a cub thrower . the 15 hp diesel well I have two blowers and one with a sped up pulley .Charlie post the 450 will suck to much power and the Cub blower won`t . leaves me with a what to do here . I have a Cab I got from Frank C . Your thoughts or any thoughts would get me off this stool.

Wyatt cut down some 1" rims and welded them back together to be narrow.

Whoa... sorry I hadnt kept track of this thread.

Yes, those wheels are cut down 1.5". Its quite simple to rig up the process. It just involves a thin wheel chucked up in the drill press, and a little patience. ... and a welder... and some paint.
292224.jpg

Great! One more addition to add to the 128. It needs a new right hand spindle but I have like 3 extra 82 series axles and spindles laying around.

Time for an upgrade...

Yes it is. Hyd. motor, needle valve (for control) and lines......works slick....

Latest posts

Back