• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Sprayer rebuild

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcbusch

displayname
Terry Busch
A couple of years ago I build a sprayer out of a 2 wheel cart, a 18 gallon tank, and a RV water pump.
229109.jpg

229110.jpg

229111.jpg

This setup was tough to backup and use. I decided to mount it directly to my mowing cub.
229112.jpg

229113.jpg

229114.jpg

229115.jpg

229116.jpg

229117.jpg

229118.jpg

Nice job, Terry. I like the folding boom. It doesn't kink the hose, does it? I'm using a little pull-behind model similar to yours, and you're right: it's a pain trying to back up with it.

Does the full tank in back cause any steering problems? It's probably close enough to the rear of the tractor to not be a big problem. ?

Greg,
It's only 18 gallons, or roughly 150 extra lbs filled. I used it yesterday and it works great. I still need to add a clamp or tube to slide the hand sprayer wand. I have a tee valve that can turn off the 3 down sprayers and send all the pressure to the wand for spot spraying.

The big question is what color? Should I go with cub yellow or cub white (aka almond)?

TERRY - All CC attachments were white, so to keep the correct police quiet better paint it white.

Question for you on your spray nozzles, do you haved enough pressure & volume to get them to spray a good pattern? I run four of the smallest Tee-Jet flat fan nozzles made to get 45-50 PSI at the boom on my little 12V sprayer. The "BIG" sprayer I built 2-3 yrs ago with a 4-roller HYPRO pump I can make 60-100 PSI if I want and run much bigger nozzles so less plugging. I has a 50-55 gal plastic tank, sits nicely in my od junky cart.

I really don't mind backing up my sprayers, if I miss a small area I use the hand wand. I use it anyhow around my plants & trees.

Most nozzles I've seen need to be 20 inches off the ground and I run mine 20 inches apart. A nozzle that close to the ground would sure cut down on "drift", which if you've ever wilted the wife's flowers after you sprayed you KNOW what I'm talking about.

On my BIG sprayer, I either need GPS and "Auto-Steer" or foam markers. I have "Sprayer ENVY" for the neighbor's 500-600 gal. field sprayer, think the booms are 60 ft wide, fold up to about 8-10 ft wide for transport all from the cab of his Magnum C/IH.

Dennis,
When I first setup the 2 wheel cart I run straight water on the cement to get a good pattern. With 3 nozzles and 12 inches off the ground I got about a 50 inch wide total spray with very little overlap. The nozzles have never plugged and the spray is aggressive. The pump stays running the whole time and does not cycle due to high pressure. It worked so well on the cart I decided to mount it solid.

My original plan was to spray while I mow. When I mow I drive 3 rounds around the yard. Then I start on one end of the lawn and mow from one end to another. I make a 180 degree turn and mow back. This way if my deck is a little unlevel the lawn doesnt sawtooth. As you know the cubs are not zero turn so i have to drive a bit past the row, backup, and go again. This backup process it what was a pain. This is the main reason for solid mounting.

However, my sister tells me I should mow then spray two days later. Its still easier managing the overlap by backing up for my 180 degree turns.

TERRY - You "Calibrate" your sprayer the same way I do! Spray water on the concrete and watch it evaporate!

I spray with a GD CC since they hold speed so much better, and using the 12V pump and the nozzles I get the right ground speed at 1800 RPM in 1st gear. My boom covers 80 inches. I've had my sprayer for 15+ yrs and used everything from Weed-B-Gone, Weed-Stop, and this year I used Acme Amine 400 2,4-D, it all seems to work good for broad leaf weeds. I also use the sprayer with the hand wand to spray Round-Up around trees & bushes sometimes.

I made the BIG sprayer a couple yrs ago to spray a wettable powder called DIMENSION for crab grass control, has to be applied early spring just before the crabgrass germinates, I think I was a few days late getting it down but it did really help reduce the amount of crabgrass I had, it's just REAL expensive. I needed the higher capacity (GPM) roller pump to get more recirculation to keep the powder in suspension, it runs off the frt PTO, and the nozzles are sized to allow running about the same 1800 RPM in 1st gear.

The little sprayer is an ATV sprayer, 14 gal tank & mounted 12V diaphram pump which only makes about 1-1/2 GPM @ 60 PSI.

I've always sprayed a day or two after mowing, but I suspect you could spray behind the mower just as well.

I also mow about 2-3 rounds then mow back & forth with 180 degree turns on each end. My yard is almost triangular and has about 80 trees & bushes, so even at over 2 acres, I very seldom get to make a pass without having to trim around a tree/bush.

Dennis - Kathy mixed up some 2-4-D this year and hand sprayed the driveway that is growing over with weeds and grass. She sprayed it 4 times before the weeds started dying. I don't think it's worth buying if it can't do better than that.
Now that the weeds died out the grass is growing even better ... I need to paint the grass to look like gravel !

Back when we had apple trees and I felt like spraying the other trees I used the Pepsi pressure tank that I also use to load my tires.
I used a sprayer nozzle that I put on a 6 foot rigid copper tube then soldered a fitting on the other end to screw into a compressor air blower.
Pressurizing the tank with 125psi from the compressor I could get a good stream over top of the 35 foot tall white pines.

Kathy's shucking corn ... better go help!

KEN - I sprayed maybe two weeks ago, the weeds started looking sickly yet that same day and are almost dead now. with the Acme Amine 400. 2,4-D works on some weeda but not all

Years ago when I first started spraying for weed control Round-Up used to kill stuff in a day or two also, but I think they've "Slowed" it down since then, it would kill the green leaves but not the roots, now it kills the roots too. Problem with RU is it kills EVERYTHING green.

I used to weed-eat around all my trees & bushes but now I spray maybe 2-3 times a year and weed-eat once or twice a year.

Dennis, are you spraying vegetation killer around the trees and shrubs? If so, have you had any ill effect to the trees or shrubs? I have several young plantings that I am tired of weed-whipping around, but fear I may harm with round-up or similar.

KEVIN - I asked around before I sprayed. I forget who it was told me the University of WI Arboretum used Round-Up around their trees. Just don't get it on ANYTHING "Green". I'd only spray it once a year, I'd use about a gallon of the good concentrate that made about 60 gallon of spray.

If your plants are really small or young, you might want to read the label instructions closely. Sometimes small young plants are more suseptible to chemical damage.

Where I used to use a LOT of Round-Up was in my land scaped areas, we had large areas of crushed granite stone over plastic sheeting with bushes planted in various places. Looked great and was maintenance-free for many years. But eventually leaves fell on it and decomposed, dust settled in the rock, and I'd have to spray R-U about four times a year to keep the weeds out. Those areas are now almost ALL cleared of rock, most of the bushes removed and new plantings done. And I lawn mow a LARGE percentage of those areas. The prior owner of our house owned a concrete flatwork company, did driveways, sidewalks, and pads. He had plenty of helpt, Bobcats, & dump trucks. I bet he had 30,000-40,000# of that rock around here!

Back