• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Shop lift idea

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
I have an ATV 2500 lb winch here just sitting on my shelf never used. I was going to install it on my 14' trailer to drag on Tractors. But it sits here for three years and I would like to know if this could be used for a tractor lift in my shop. its 12 volt and I would use a tractor battery to run it. The wench came with a roller fairlead ,snatch block, D shackle, all controlls.
I have 10' 6" of lift room. All ideas welcome
old.gif

219561.jpg

Donald, looks like the warranty has run out. I'd be sure to put a prop under in case the brake didn't hold. Otherwise, sounds good to me. I've got the 3000# HF w/ fairlead, but I need a sky hook. Got a spare one of those?

KennyP

Sounds like a good plan, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that a winch designed for horizontal pull shouldn't be used as a vertical lift. Perhaps the brake, like Kenneth mentioned? I suppose you could rig up a pulley system so it pulls horizontally, as it's designed to do. Keep us posted - I've considered that type of winch myself in the past.

Kenneth Peaney

I have to mount the winch on an end wall and then run the wire rope through two blocks to the floor where I could use it for my tractors.Just for lifting out engines it would ne nice to have working. I have trusses and thought a 4x4 over four of them would alow me to lift a cub and not have a problem.I will ask the company who designed this and see if they will ok the added weight over four trusses.The 28' x 30' shop sits on a 5' frost wall eight inches thick and I`ll attach the winch to that wall with anchors. All ideas welcome

Donald,

Overhead I-beam trolley so you can move that winch. Cause you know you'll never mount it in the correct spot.

Art has posted pics of his overhead trolley he uses for the hard cover for his Jeep.

I'll have to take my camera out to the cold at take a pic of mine some day...

Sounds like you have a good plan. Just wouldn't want to be under something when that winch decided to 'unwind'. For lifting engines and such I don't see a problem as you aren't getting close to max weight.

Kenny

Vincent Thomley

I thought of that moveable trolley . But I passed on that.I have a 2 ton engine lift that folds up and thats a pain because its allways buried .I will have to pick a spot and mount the roller and see.I thought of making an arm out of 2"x 2" steel and bolting it fast at the wall and then I could swing the load. I will have a safety break that will go on the cable,just in case the brake does not hold. The brakes on the winch will have to be tested to see what is safe.Manual say 1800 lbs and over double the wire to lift.Just for Cubs I don`t think I will have to double it ever.
1a_scratchhead.gif

At the mower shop me and Dad ran there was a lift of sorts. It was an arm about 5 ft long that pivoted around about 180 degrees, ran it with a ford power steering pump and (I think) the ford steering ram. It would pick up the front of a murry rider on it's own and with help the front of a cub without the deck on. It was pretty handy for changing engines and stuff. The way it was set up you could pull a engine and put it on the bench to dismantle then swing it farther to drop in the parts washer. Kinda slick for a couple of rednecks.

Latest posts

Back