• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Sheetmetal brake ???

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
Does anyone (Ken) have any good ideas for making a homemade sheetmetal brake? I have plenty of 4" angle, some heavy duty hinges, and plenty of handle material. My main concern is a clamping system. I've been thinking some sort of cam with compression springs. It doesn't need to be more than two feet wide; I never need to brake anything longer than that. I'd like it to bend 3/32" or even 1/8" if that's possible to do by hand.

I have a few battery trays to build/rebuild among other things.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

Thanks Allen-

I googled and there were in fact several. I also went to Youtube and found some good ideas. Deck patching and battery trays are the main drive behind making a brake.

If you want to bend 1/8" steel you will need a pretty hefty brake. At school we had one for bending sheetmetal for aircraft and stuff, and the thickest sheetmetal it could handle was 16 gauge, and that was a pretty heavy-duty bending brake. The 44/50" decks are 90 thou, and I think the earlier ones might be thicker, so that's gonna be a stretch.

MATT - I'd have to mic the deck to be sure but my old 38" deck must be either 10 or 11 gauge, .1345" or .1196". I know I arc welded it with NO problem when I modified it. I've never weighed one but I always thought a NON-CI end 38" deck weighed more than my 44A deck did.

WAYNE - When I made my flat-top fenders for my CC 72 years ago, I used our 20-ton "H" Press at work with some bending jigs I welded up at home.
The fenders were 11 ga and about a foot wide where I bent them. I wanted a radiused bend and even though I bent them between angle iron I got a real nice radius on the bends, probably a 3/4" radius. Might be a way for you to get TWO tools for the price of one! You can buy 20-ton H presses at Harbor Freight for about what the steel costs to make one. Just checked their website, $199.99 for a 20-ton, $129.99 for a 12-ton.

Dennis-

I have considered the 20 ton press from Harbor Freight and sort of kept an eye out for sales. I need it for many things as well as thick sheet metal bends but right now I don't have a decent place for it. I may end up just making a small press for just the sheet metal bending. I have a 12 ton jack I could use plus the steel. I'd need my buzz box and it's presently buried in storage (of sorts).

Back