• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

SCOUT II On the "Bachelor"

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbest

displayname
William Best
Ben drives a Scout II. Glad to see another one that has been restored and being used.

A guy at work rescued this from a garage.

287796.jpg

287797.jpg

287798.jpg

287799.jpg

287800.jpg

Heres a few more, notice the wording on the valve cover.
It tells you which cylinder to use when timing a v8 or a 4 cylinder, they must of used the same valve cover?

287805.jpg

287806.jpg

287807.jpg

JEFF - Yes, IH made two slant 4's, a 152 CID, right bank of the 304 V8, and a 192 CID, right bank of the 392. Sorry, no 172 CID slant 4, right half of the 345.

The managers & supervisors at IH mfg plants could lease Scouts really cheap, about half of what payments on a new Bronco or Blazer would have been at the time. So just about everybody on management drove a new or newer Scout to work. IH wanted the plant's parking lot full of IH too. The managers could get a new Scout every year, and after a while, they all tended to get them one way, LOADED with every option and the 345 V8. There really wasn't much of a difference in miles per gallon between the 304 & 345, they both got 2-4 MPG less than the comparable Bronco w/351 or Blazer w/350. As your co-worker's Scout shows, the interiors on Scouts were rather... GAUDY, and some of the details were rather rough compared to the competition, but one thing Scouts had going for them, they'd run 100,000 miles easily, IF you could put those miles on fast enough before the body rusted off.

The 190ish cu-in 4 cylinder was 196 cu-in. My 1970 Scout 800A had this engine in it and it was a real good engine. That Scout was the handiest vehicle I've ever owned. Plenty of room to haul a load of people and cargo too. It would go anywhere. The Scout did not have the high center ground clearance of a Ford Bronco or a Jeep CJ-5 with it's 100 inch wheelbase, nor did it set high off the ground in general, but I just seemed to never drag or high center when going off road.

My tranny was a 4 speed vs the normal 3 speed seen in the Scouts and mine did not have a creeper 1st gear. My brother test drove a late model, around 1978ish time frame maybe, when IH brought back the 4 cylinder 196 cu in engine in response to the gas crunch as I recall. The Scout II with the 4 cyl and the creeper 1st gear made for a nice combo in hi range and I imagine a super rock crawler in low range. I had a cousin that had a Scout SS II - it had a soft top. A great 4x4.

I thought the Scout II's were really nicely done "cars" with their color scheme and whatever stripe pattern. We had a neighbor that bought a Scout II from around 1977, it was beige and had some white stripes going down the side near the door handle lines. Very nice vehicle. My Dad had a hunting buddy that had a dark brown Scout II, maybe a 1974ish year with the 4 cylinder and a half cab. He hauled his bird dogs in the back of that Scout and we thought it was the perfect hunting vehicle.

Very few IH tractors around my neck of the woods, Ford and MF dominated, but IH pick-ups, Scouts and school bus chassis were plentiful.

Sometimes I wonder where IH would be in the market today if they could have hung-on and kept the Scout in production. With today's SUV craze and even going back into the mid 80's with the Bronco II's and Chevy S10 Blazers, I feel IH was way ahead of their time with the larger than early Bronco/Jeep CJ-5 and yet smaller than the later big Bronco as well as the Chevy Blazer.

Latest posts

Back