• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

rusty primer

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Williams

I had a guy primer my cub till i get to paint it and he used rusty primer. Now I read you cant use that. What would happen if i painted it with rustoleom paint? There both rustoleom so what is the rusty primer for?

The red oxide primer is meant to be used over a surface on which the rust has not been 100% removed. There is no reason you can't use it, particularly if you are topcoating with rustoleum.

My results on rusty red primer is the yellow doesn't cover very well, or I didn't apply thick enough coats.

Case IH Irongard does not work on rustoleum rusty metal primer!!! I tried it once, and the paint wrinkled up like crazy. Had to strip it down to the metal and start over.
I strongly recommend you try it on a small piece first, to see how it does.

I've been using Ospho to stabilize/convert rust for a while..................I let it set much longer than what the directions say, once it is washed off.

If using rattle cans, I have found that shooting a coat of flat yellow construction paint first and then shooting the gloss yellow over it helps the coverage quite a bit.

IH did not use primer. The red on the cast iron parts is a sealer, Glyptal (sp). All the stamped parts were painted directly.
I have no reason to doubt that. But then the truly anal-retentive perfectionist personality restoring a CC would then want the frame and the cast iron parts to be slightly different tint of yellow. :cubwinker:

After the Rustoleum rusty metal primer catastrophe, I only use Rustoleum gray automotive primer. Never had any issues with shades of yellow or white. Of course, I always use Case IH Irongard paint.
When I use the Rustoleum primer up, I will go with another brand of grey auto primer.
Other than the trees reflecting in the paint, anyone see any issues with shade here?

DSCF0442.jpg

Latest posts

Back