• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Return of the 8N?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't believe the same company that created the lame excuse of the rebirth of the FARMALL also recreated that Ford 8N.
They actually hit the styling really well with all the new latest features the Yuppie farmers think they need.

The FARMALL that C/IH built several years ago was a real good tractor for what it was, just WAY too little even though it was in the same HP range as the A, B, C, and H. Even came close to the HP of the M, but I wonder which one would really pull a three bottom plow ALL DAY?
ihrotate.gif

Dennis F. I agree with you on the rebirth of the FARMALL tractors. Simply minor restyling of the New Holland Boomer tractors, different coat of paint and decals and not making ALL the features are available on the Boomer on those "new" FARMALL tractors just doesn't seem to cut it. From what I read the rebirth idea was to try and get the Yuppies that had acreages to buy new rather than haunt the dealer's used lot looking for a "FARMALL like Dad/Grandpa/Uncle??? had when I was a kid." That helped sell a lot of 4/560s, 656s, and 706s only it didn't help the dealer sell new stuff. I know of a gentleman with approximately 30 acres that "needs nothing less than a 100 hp tractor" to bale hay, minor plowing, snow removal, typical acreage work. You and I know that is more than a touch overkill for such a small acreage. However as he put it to me. "I can buy that 100hp tractor with cab, 2 point hitch, wide front and loader for a LOT less than I can buy one of those new CUT tractors."

MARLIN - Just an hour ago I was sitting next to a little McCormick CUT at my local CC/IH/PSD engine parts dealer. Cute little tractor with FWA & loader which I'll admit is great for loader work, pushing snow, etc. But the "Special Program" price of $18,499.00 for an open station tractor that would really struggle to run a 5 ft brush mower would buy You a real nice 886, 986, even a 1086 or a H186 Hydro which all would have a cab, heater, A/C, two or three remotes. Yes it may need some work because it has a lot of hours but I guarantee once the little things were sorted out You wouldn't wear it out on thirty acres in one hundred years! You could almost step up to a 3X88 or high houred 5X88 for that much $$$$.

If I sold EVERYTHING IHC I own I wouldn't get $18,000 for it all!

Dennis:
That Boomer isn't any more a recreation of the 8N than the PT Cruiser is a 37 Ford (How the H..l did Chrysler get away with that???), or the HHR is a 40's Suburban... I'm wondering how many of the Boomers will be running in 40 years vs. how many 8Ns STILL running... BTW - Dennis Carpenter (my major Cushman parts company) is also big into 9N 2N 8N, Jubilee and NAA parts and they are expanding that line continuously... (They have have had a very direct licensing agreement with FoMoCO and buy loads of old factory tooling).. I just took a tour of the operation in NC last month.

KENDELL - Leave it to MARKETING to allow Daimler-Chrysler to reinvent a Chevy pickup!

FARM SHOW Magazine seems to be real partial to those old Fords also, in about every issue theres an article about someone retooling parts or rebuilding tractors for customers. The tooling for the FUNK engine kits to install in-line 6 or V-8 engines was re-released about 5-6 yrs ago. Neighbor across the road had an pair of 8N's, one with big tires and the in-line 6, other one was stock. The 6-cyl. tractor could pull WAY more than it had any business trying to pull. It was O-K for things like raking hay but that was about it. The Guy's 560 FARMALL did everything else on His 320 acres.

Funny thing is, the old Fords wore out, the old JD's wore out, but strangley enough there's still a LOT of M's & H's that run every day doing chores, running augers, hauling wagons, etc. SON was commenting the other day while We were cleaning up Dad's '51 M that IH put grease zerks on EVERYTHING. And they did! Waterpump has two, distributor has one, plus there's one for the pilot bearing most people don't even know exists, plus the throw-out bearing, and the clutch release lever shafts, both the one brake pedal & clutch pedal, the steering shaft in two places, and the front bolster bearing.

What you still see around is a regional thing (like seeing very few Cubs in NC)... I swear there's one of the Ford family (8N - et al) in about every third place in Michigan, but there were probably a lot more small farms here also. My uncle and cousins did just fine on an 80 acre farm for years with an 8N. The restoration thing is funny, too. The stuff that wears out like sleeves, has always had good replacement sources. At one time, I heard the worst thing you could break was the ring gear, but I'm sure that's a no brainer now... Really, for a lot of guys, the Ford family is just a bigger version of the Cub hobby, with a lot of 'em fixed up for work on the small "estates" and a smaller percentage restored or "over restored" for show use. Then - there's this 'un (Florida Flywheelers show)
clappy.gif

167153.jpg

Kendell- Where is that located in Nc? For some reason think there are more K-Bota around here than 8-Ns.

Lyle:
Dennis Carpenter is just north of Lowes' Motor Speedway about a mile (heading towards Concord).. Kind of a low profile operation, but he covers a large part of an industrial park.. His (I think) son has a Mustang parts company just south of his on Hwy 29. I did see a lot of Kubotas, but honestly, no Cubs (IHC) in our time there...

Latest posts

Back