• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Repair Manuals

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwrandall

displayname
Kim Randall
Is there such a thing as the Cub Cadet version of the Chilton repair manual? I want to overhaul the steering gear on a model 1650 Hydro (manual steer) and don't have local access to any information. Actually I'm stripping it to the bare frame, sand blasting, painting and generally updating everything on it. Thanks for the assist.

Kim

Kim R.
Here's comes the ribbin, so just set back and take.
biggrin.gif

1. You posted in the wrong section. You have a pre 1981 Cub so it goes on the main discussion board.
2. It tells ya to check out the FAQ's when you first sign up. Which you did not.
3. If ya had, you would have found this.
http://cubfaq.com/steeringrebuild.html
4. You being a pilot and me being a Hornet jockey for 17 years, You of all people should know that WE always read before take off.
biggrin.gif

A Hornet Jockey huh?
draw.gif
Then you shouldn't make hasty assumptions before takeoff either (hah!). Yes I did see the post on the steering rebuild, but there aren't any part numbers, I didn't see what year/model it was, and a good repair manual will usually go into more detail with blow-up schematics to show how all the pieces/parts go together and interact with their surroundings. There was also mention in the text about a service manual showing how to adjust the whole shootin' match, thus my interest in a Chilton for Cubs.
Sorry for the incorrect post. This site is so large with so much info that I stopped reading after my brain was full and took a shot at the machine shop part since it mentioned lots of mechanical items. My bad for not thoroughly reading the rules (hey I said I was a pilot
crazy.gif
). Thanks for the info, and I will post any further questions on the appropriate forum, of which I'm sure I will have a bunch as this project unfolds.

Charlie:
Just to add to your answer to Kim ... I've never seen any third party publications dealing with Cub repair - and with the IHC repair manuals readily available (including from those wonderful sponsors at the top of the page), there isn't any reason for it...
And Kim, with all that I see on the news, please be careful on those mercy flights !!

Thanks Kendell. I'm gradually overcoming the "newby" phase and discover something new and interesting every time I logon to this site (once again there's that whole brain is full thing to contend with).
Along that other line, yes we are painfully aware of all the losses in our industry lately. One of which happened about 80 miles from our base on a morning I was working. Luckily our hospital has spared no expense on safety equipment for our helicopters and we have things none of the others had to prevent such tragedies. My motto for years has been "try to fly near the middle of the air. The edges can be identified by trees, land, water, and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there!"
f16.gif
kr

I'll start this post off right.... "I THINK" I've seen a Chilton manual for "Garden Tractors", the one book fits ALL type that gets into Onan, Techumseh, Briggs & Scrapiron, and finally Kohler engines plus some brief chapters on the common tractors themselves. It's not really worth the $$$$.
There's so many common parts and procedures and replacement parts through ALL models of Cub Cadets that any manual from a 70/100 up to the 1X8/1X9 will work on all NF and first 1X8/1X9 wideframes. And a Quietline manual would work on any red X82 series tractor as well a Q/L's. The 1961 thru 1963 model Cub Cadets We call The Original are a one-off design and only internal transmission/rearend parts would pertain to later tractors, the frames, rearend housings, etc all different than anything else.
Until I got My 982 I used a parts & service manual My Buddy got for His 107 that He gave Me when He traded the tractor for another brand/color. I got My chassis and engine manuals plus all the pertinant parts books from the Supplier above, Binder Books. They even included a matching red 3-ring binder and the dividers for them.
Get a Kohler K-Series engine manual off here too, free PDF download. There are a FEW spec. differences between Kohler's spec's and IHC's spec's for Kohlers between the two manuals too. Read both manuals and be familiar with information from both when doing engine work.

Dennis,

You are correct, Chilton did make a "Garden Tractor" manual at one time, I think that Dad may have it floating around somewhere. I was as thick a "major city" phone book and had alot of generic info, I can't rember if it had brand specific stuff in there. We do have copies (PDF) of the proper service manuals that we use.

Kim:
I was employed as a civilian for by the State Police here in Michigan for 31 years. I was often invited to go for a ride, but have an aversion to equipment that I can't step out of onto terra firma the instant the engine quits
uhoh.gif
( I've been around maintenance all of my life - that's why I don't like flying in fixed wing, either, although I love aircraft and aviation (weird, huh ??). The only chopper I ever wanted to go in was our Jet Ranger (aka "Air Wolf") and I missed out on that opportunity..

Scott N, Dennis F: I have never seen a "Chilton" all-purpose manual, but I do have one published by Intertec Publishing of Overland Park, Kansas, which qualifies as a generic outdoor products repair manual. It's about the size of an unabridged dictionary...heeeavy....and covers it all....

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Scott told me about he comments on the Chilton manual. I have had this for at least 25 years. Got it out of a J.C. Whitney catalog. It covers just about all the “Old” tractors. I took some pictures. First is the cover, then the contents, you can see the models it covers. And the section for Cubs. In the back is an Engine section and it covers Kohler pretty well.

96149.jpg

96150.jpg

96151.jpg

Wow! Lots of good info for the new guy. Thanks all. I might get this whole yellow and white thing figured out yet!
1a_scratchhead.gif

I've made numerous attempts at uploading a picture of the "project", but the smallest I can get my camera down to is 640x480 and 157kb, so this post keeps rejecting it.
Kim

Wife & I went to the local public library after We voted today. While wandering around the aisles I ran into the "Chilton Manual" section. And Yes, They did have a copy of the manual that John has. I looked the CC section over briefly and it's reprints of the IH company service manuals and pictures. All good information.
My Sister, a Library Administrator, would want Me to add here that They or Any library would kindly like their books back without oil & grease stains so if You borrow the manual from the library please protect the book if You use it in the shop or run copies of the pages You need for personal reference.
The book is actually the size of a Big City phone book, over 2 inches think, 8" x 10" pages, hard bound.

Latest posts

Back