• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Ramp it up.

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
I'm curious if anybody here has a solution to this odd problem.

Changing the oil on our 2011 Chev Suburban requires getting the front end up on ramps. (Don't get me started about how a full-size truck shouldn't sit this low)

The 30 year old garage floor seems rough enough to hold the ramps, but this always happens. Front end gets halfway up the ramps, and one of them will slide ahead, which requires a back up, reset ramps, and try again. (The arrow shows how far the ramp slid forward as I was driving up it.) Other side of the truck is up at the top of the ramp and can go no further.

287539.jpg

I've tried putting the truck in 4-wheel drive (low range) to "pull" it up the ramps, but that doesn't affect it. Ramps still slide.

I'm curious if any of the "brighter light-bulbs" here have come up with a way to keep this from happening.

I used to jack them up and put the ramps underneath but that defeats the purpose. I've laid pieces of 4x4s between the ramp and the wall before but then you have to store the 4x4s. I just use jack stands now. No more storing the ramps or 4x4s.

Art, Lay a 2x6 at the base of the ramp and get yout tires up on the 2x6's first, better yet, buy a couple of 2x10 or 12's to put your ramps on. it'll never walk on you again...

Scott/Schultzie-
Funny you mention that. I have a couple of 18" long pieces of 2X6 that I use for the wifey's car. (front valence will hit the ramp otherwise.)

Believe it or not, the 2X6 trick doesn't work with the truck though. If you look at my pic again, where you see that front tire is where the tire was when the ramp slides not right as it's getting on the ramp like you would think. You would think once the weight of the truck gets up on the ramp, it would hold the ramp down, but it's as if the weight of the truck ends up pushing the ramp out like squeezing the seed out of a grape. (Who buys grapes with seeds in them anyway?)
screwloose.gif

Here's how it normally happens. Start driving truck up ramps, front end of truck rises about 8" (we're ALMOST to the top of the ramp). "Eeeerrrrrrrrrrrrt" The ramp squirts out from under one tire and that side drops down.

Maybe I should just lay about 5 sets of wheel weights in front of the ramp on each side. LOL
roflol.gif

Art, I know where there's a HEAVY duty set of ramps that you can have... they will fit your tires better too. They are a set that my FIL made years ago. He just asked me a few weeks back if I wanted them. I already have a set that he made and they are awesome. I told him I would ask around. Hopefully he still has them. They have rubber feet = less likely to slide. The ramp section is also longer so the ride up is more gradual. Problem is they are big but you have plenty of storage space.
happy.gif

Poor quality photo I snapped of them up in his garage attic.

287541.jpg

You could always take it to a dealer or oil change service center.....
lol.gif

The problem as I see it is the "ramp" part of your ramps is too short making them too steep, which cause them to slide. If you have the storage room, you could make a set out of 2x lumber. I had a set I made that were about 4 ft long and a 2x10/2x12 high, that I used for years and one of my sons uses them now. Sides were cut from a 2x10 or 2x12, with cross bracing between the sides of the same height as the sides, and a 2x10/2x12 top. They were heavy, but they did not slide when driving up on them. The "ramp" part was about 3' long with a 1' flat perch for the tire, and a taller bumper/stop at the front to help prevent driving off the end. Worked for me.

Here's another vote for wooden ramps, or at least a wooden platform to set the whole steel ramps on with a stop at the end so the steel ramp can't slide on the wood. A piece of 1/2" thk plywood would be enough.

I have tried plywood and 2x and they both still slid with my truck and crown vic when on concrete

The ramps that I am offering to Art have a nice long gentle slope so they do not slide. They also have a nice wide surface and tall sides and end plate. I believe the reason Art's ramps are sliding is that they are not wide enough for his truck tires. He didn't say they slide when he uses them with his wife's car.

Apparently Art has gone missing...

Art,

When you/everyone get it figured out, let me know. When I drive my Scag mower up on similar ramps to sharpen the blades, it does the same thing.
bash.gif

Art,

In your photo, the problem is clear as the scratch on the floor, the ramp is bent, notice the angle of the front is not 90degrees to the top landing, when tire gets to the point it is the ramp flexes causing front to tip and act as a ski.
At least that's what I see from your photo.

Thanks for all of the thoughts so far.

Kraig-
Thanks for the offer on the ramps your FIL has, but they look like they might be too big to store efficiently. These hang on the garage wall with a nail, so while they are literally a piece of junk compared to what you have offered, I'd like to figure out a solution that makes these usable. They work fine on the rough driveway, but that's not always an option in the winter.

I did a little research online and read where guys are putting chain, web strap, or rope extending from the rear of the ramps to back under the rear wheels of the vehicle to keep the ramps from sliding forward. It's not ideal, but it's an option. Rope is cheap.

The way our garage is set up, there is no way to use wood 2X4's or 4X4's as a stop against the back wall of the garage. (OK, there's too much junk there.)

If nothing else, we know that Paul B is feeling better, as his sense of humor is still there!
happy.gif

Art, I think I see your problem. Your driving up the ramps too slow, allowing them time to slip. Yoo need to drive up real fast and hit your breaks when you get to the top, that way the ramps won't have time to slip. <font size="-2"> not responsible for damage to garage
</font>

Art, I had a set of metal ramps like yours. Hated them. Sold them for scrap metal and bought a set of these. Made by Rhino in the USA. Rated for vehicles up to 12,000lbs (they also make a set rated for 16,000lbs). They have a nice rubber pad on the bottom that keeps them from sliding. Ramps are extra wide for those 20's on your Suburban! Lightweight and stackable for easy storage. Got them on sale at O'Reilly's for $39.95. I like them. But hey, that's just my humble opinion......

287575.jpg

287576.jpg

287577.jpg

Art, not a good picture - but I don't mess with ramps. Have a 10,000lb 2 post car lift in my shop. just never did figure out how to raise cubs on it yet!
287581.jpg

John,
What I do on my brothers lift is get a 4x8 sheet of .75 plywood. Set it on the pads but make sure the arms under the wheels of tractor. Than ether jack it up on it or if your real good you can drive it on. ( that part takes a little skill.) then raise it up. It dose work and at least it not on the floor. Hope this helps Jim

Art -
I'm probably not adding anything new but I've used the black plastic ramps with the rubber underside pucks for sometime now with 100% success. I had metal sliders for some years before that and fought 'em. My bro in law made carpet "tails" for his metal sliders with success.

Back