• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Question 450 snow blower

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstorma

displayname
Jim Storma
This last weekend I've been getting ready for snow. I attached my new to me 450 snow blower to my 782. It all went well. I raised it up and was a little annoyed the snow blower only raised off the ground about a 1/2". I had it in my head it should raise about 3". I thought no problem; I'll lengthen the lift rod, but found out the yoke was only hanging by a few threads.

Studying the manual, they don't list anything about adjusting for the lift height. Am I missing something here, or is the 1/2" lift correct?

Jim Storma

The 450 snow blower has a poor design lift and at the best will only lift about 5". My 450 had screw in pins to mount the blower on the front of the frame of the tractor and I found that to be an area that would allow the blower to move around. So I installed bolts there so the blower had less slack attached.Install your blower on your tractor and with it sitting connect your lift rod to the tractor with the bracket for the lift attached. move the lift point of the lift on the blower up to remove any slack and adjust your lift rod to slide into the lift hole on the lift.You will soon see that there is a lot of slop in all the lift parts and for that reason it hard to get much lift from the tractor.I had my 450 lifting up and found the pto would drop out when the blower was lifted. You will have to watch that the blower lift does not go over center when not lifted. Driving blowing snow if the blower goes off the drive and drops lower that the tractor and you attempt to use the lift on you tractor you will have bent the lift rood or worse .If you see the blower drop lower than the tractor, back up to where you know the blower is level again before you use the tractor lift to raise the blower. this is a must do.I used a 3" piece of flat steel and added some length to my lift rod to get the lift I have on my 450,this was added at the back of the lift arm where the lift arm attaches to the lift on the tractor.If you need some pictures let me know .The 450 did blow some snow in front of my 1512 diesel, Art A has one and posted a few videos of his blowing snow. No problems blowing snow 30' plus.
old.gif

Thanks, for all the info. I'll take a look at it this weekend and study the linkages. It sure would be nice to get 5" of lift.

Jim,

Did you get the owners manual with your 450? If not I may be able to send you one.

Are the extension plates used for the SGT's still on your 450? If so that would limit your lift.

Ike

I am in the mist of mounting the 450 blower to my 2072 and I am experiencing the tractor will not lift it at all. Does anybody have a picture of the mounting on the lift on the tractor and how it mounts? I'm stumped and I starting to think the blower is to heavy to lift.

I have a CC 1512D that is giving me problems with the electrical system. What I' have difficulty understanding is how, with the ignition switch in the off position I hear something clicking. If I disconnect the positive battery cable...attempt to reattach it...I see some slight arcing with the terminal...I'm thinking something is shorting but I don;t know where to start looking.

Larry i am not familiar with the 1512 but i would start with the hour meter. I had one on a lift that would run for a few minutes after key was turned off.

Tim, were you able to figure out your 450 snow blower mounting? Here's a link to a 450 Snow Blower Manual

My parents used to have a 2072 and a 450 snow blower, I assure you the 2072 should be able to easily lift it. One thing that could be is that if the snow blower is ever lowered too far, as in off of a curb, parts in the lift mechanism can be bent. I believe Art Aytay posted some info on this and how to fix it and prevent it from happening again. I'll see if I can find his post(s) and if so I'll post links.

Here's some posts regarding the 450 on a 2072 or other SGT:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

While not related to the 450 directly, this post has info on the rockshaft that could have an effect on the lift mechanism:

Link 4

If you still haven't fixed the lifting height on the 450, look closely in the set up sections for both the model 450 and 451 owner's manuals. They are set up quite differently for GT and SGTs. Make sure your bolts are in the right places. I bought a 451 to put on my 1572, and had to go through this (in addition to buying the SGT extension brackets and 6" front PTO) to make it work. I get plenty of lift height.

Back