• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Paint help!!!!

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. I used a rattle can of Cub Cadet Yellow by Valspar that I got at a TSC store. Not good stuff at all. Not enough pigment, need 3-4 coats just to get it kinda nice.
2. Kentuck... whats your electric bill look like !? You got the pole transformers by your house/work area?

Allen
I have found that yellow paint always takes more coats to cover. I have used valspar and always had good luck. Two, three or four coats is always better than one thick coat. I have found that valspar dries fairly quick so you can wait maybe 10 to 15 minutes and spray another coat.
Bet you project will look good when finished.

Dean

Dean K, Allen S: I've also used that Valspar Cub Cadet Yellow from TSC. I find it's true that several coats are required, but it looks pretty good and covers well after several light coats. It ain't like "instant mashed potatoes"...time and patience are required.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Dean and Myron, thanks for your input on Valspar. I guess a little more patience on my part is necessary. ie: no 'instant potatoes'
whistling.gif

Thanks for the replys guys. I do understand that whole air/water condenseing kuz i had a nice system at my old house. I got it to work just for the time being and there is a big difference in the way the air comes right out of the compressor vs. when i hook the line up out of the filter.

The filter acts bolth as a water and oil trap. You can tell because when you but a nozzle on it like this,
54643.jpg

Sorry its the only pic i have of it

But i shot air on my hand and you can see the water collecting where when i did that with the filter i did not feel any moisture at all.

i did happen to shoot some primer!

54644.jpg

54645.jpg

but i have to say... I am not sold on those h.v.l.p. guns at all. I had more trouble with that damn thing then i have ever had with a gun period.

I had a few problems with the paint as well. The guy at the auto body paint shop said to poor the primer into the cup (and i did use those paper filter strainers) And then thin it in the cup. Well that went south! The paint on the bottom was thicker by far more then the top....i had just not relized it. Then there are so many little adjustments on that gun that it was so hard to figure out so i have a snap-on syphon feed gun that was givin to us about 15 years ago for free and it only has 2 knobs.....Volume and idk what the other one is called but oh well what are you going to do right? At least the primer came out good!

But now i cant work on the cub for about a week or 2. Last night at my hockey game i got thrown into the boards and then i fell and some other guy fell right into me and popped my knee out of place so i can hardly walk which means i cant lift heavy things =[

Anthony - The primer goes on the parts not on yer hand! I can't believe a paint shop not telling you better how to mix in the thinner. I would have poured in a small amount of thinner first but actually I thin it in the can before pouring it in the gun. I've yet to try a HVLP I use a Binks #7 I've had for 20 years.
What, no brown primer overspray pics of the BMW ?
Sorry to hear about your knee. You'll have problems with it when you get my age. I'm having problems now from a shoulder I dislocated 25 years ago.
Guess you'll just have to sit there and keep us company 'til you're back on your feet!

oh no! Since shes a guest then i have to respect her stuff! lol Even tho i see all my snacks are gone and everyone else knows in my family to not eat my fruity snacks.....So it had to be her!

Yeah ive shot with a binks before and i loved it! Same thing, Its my boss's gun and when i was working he was painting and he called me over and taught me how to paint......Little did i know i knew how to do it very well ;]

But he has had that gun for years!

hahah thanks ken! Yeah doc says i should be up and at em' in a week but i helped my dad set up our shop today and worked on cleaning up some cub bolts. I just cant roll it or put much pressure on it... Makes it hard to drive =O
explotar2jr.gif

but same thing my dad dislocated bolth shoulders when he used to race dirtbikes when he lived in Arizona in the late 80s but never bothered him till latley.

Anthony - 6 days and no update , what's up ?
Did the cub get better and have you been painted yet ?

Anthony: I have used Binks, Craftsman sprayer for years but I have a new HVLP sprayer and in this old man's eyes a worlds different. Less over spray, less air intake,I find it quite easy to use.

Now that said: I put my regulator right on the gun easier to adjust, for most solids aprox. 18 lbs worked good for me. 30 psi for clear coats. Enamel Clear is getting harder to find in my area but I did get it.

Mixing is usually printed on the reducer can and hardener. Yes I did add hardener to Cub Cadet Yellow and White. I can get the mix ratio if you want.

The biggest thing I did when I got my HVLP was getting a piece of plywood and I practiced. You already have the knowledge so play with it.

As for the primer I used a primer filler with reducer. I love that stuff, any sand marks, metal prep, ect and it fills minor faults easily the only thing different is you need to wet sand w/800 wet sand paper before applying the top coats.

Yellow is a tough color to paint as it does not cover well so I used 4 light coats with a 20 min flash time between coats. Very happy with results, the thing I did not do as well as I wanted was the clear coats. I need more practice but I am willing to stay with it until I get better.

Any questions e-mail I love helping those that I can.

Pops

The one thing that helps me with colors is to add a small amount of white in my first coat of paint.I used acrylic urathane on A 127 and had problems until my supplier told me what to do.
Just my 2c

Perhaps this is why Dan Hoefler uses Aquapon primer. A nice, slightly greyish white - no problems going over it with yellow or white.

Ok so today is the first day in about... oh i dont know since when that the weather has been good enough to paint so i havent gotten any progress done on the cub.

I talked it over with my dad and we bolth sided with ken. I dont think we relized all the work that went into it till i was done with the primer so he told me that he would front the money for the right color industurial paint that i can use a reducer and hardener with.

My question is does every paint company have its own color chart? Kuz i saw under the faq's that every brand has a different number for the same color so how do i match that?

And i think i am going with ellis paint

Anthony, every co. is gonna use different #'s. My preferance from experiance is to stay away from any paints from NAPA. I usually stay with PPG. Dupont can cross the #'s and I have used their paint with good results. Still like PPG though. Hope this helps.

Bren

Latest posts

Back