• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Overhauling my Cub Cadet 72

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been working on taking apart and stripping the paint off my Cub Cadet 72. I have a couple questions for people who are more experienced than me.

1. What brand of paint should I use to repaint it.

2. Mylar of Vinal Decals.

3. Taking apart the clutch/brake assembly. There is the large spring held in by roll pins. what is the best way to get it off?

Any advice is appreciated. It is my firs time doing this, so any tip or tricks are wanted.

I have been working on taking apart and stripping the paint off my Cub Cadet 72. I have a couple questions for people who are more experienced than me.

3. Taking apart the clutch/brake assembly. There is the large spring held in by roll pins. what is the best way to get it off?

Any advice is appreciated. It is my firs time doing this, so any tip or tricks are wanted.
I count three yellows that IH used back in the day. I got a quart of Irongard MS 10 federal yellow from Digger (the most popular yellow?) but it was a tad light - local guy darkened it, perfect. Irongard is really good and I used the best brush - it levels beautifully. For the hood it was Majic spray, off white 8-21519, and the mower got Majic Tractor, a quart of 8-2951 IH White and added a hardener. Search the net for Intl Harvester Color Codes.
Cheers, Jack

I count three yellows that IH used back in the day. I got a quart of Irongard MS 10 federal yellow from Digger (the most popular yellow?) but it was a tad light - local guy darkened it, perfect. Irongard is really good and I used the best brush - it levels beautifully. For the hood it was Majic spray, off white 8-21519, and the mower got Majic Tractor, a quart of 8-2951 IH White and added a hardener. Search the net for Intl Harvester Color Codes.
Cheers, Jack
Make it 'International Harvester color codes - white paint cross-reference' and 'yellow paint cross-reference.'

For the Cub Cadet 72, the original white is IH 902, and the yellow is IH 483. Unless you're a purist, you can find these colors in Rustoleum Farm and Implemented colors. You may have to hunt a bit. I used Rustoleum Farm IH red to repaint my Cadet 782 hood, and it matched the rest of the tractor performing. Be sure to use a quality light gray primer such as Duplicolor.
As for roll pins, DO NOT go cheap, but use spring pins that are rolled/coiled. They are much stronger than simple roll pins.

The front are 4.80/4.00-8 and the back are 6-12.
You'd be best to Google each tire size, and see what you can find. You can get 4.80 x 8 tires at Walmart, Tractor Supveey ply and the like, but get the ones with a sawtooth pattern. Those "knobbies" just don't look right. As for the 600 x 12 tires, I spent an hour looking, and most of what I found were those vee-bar ag type tires. They just don't belong on a model 72 if you're trying to look anywhere close to original. Miller tire has that size in Firestone that looks like an automotive snow tire of the era, which is very close to the OEM tire, but they are EXPENSIVE! Google Carlisle.

You'd be best to Google each tire size, and see what you can find. You can get 4.80 x 8 tires at Walmart, Tractor Supveey ply and the like, but get the ones with a sawtooth pattern. Those "knobbies" just don't look right. As for the 600 x 12 tires, I spent an hour looking, and most of what I found were those vee-bar ag type tires. They just don't belong on a model 72 if you're trying to look anywhere close to original. Miller tire has that size in Firestone that looks like an automotive snow tire of the era, which is very close to the OEM tire, but they are EXPENSIVE! Google Carlisle.
4.80 x 8: DO NOT buy wheelbarrow tires!!!

I want to match the tread, which is the big problem.
For the 6.00x12 rears, the only tires I can find that look original are the Miller Tire Firestones, and they're about $150 each. You'll never match the original Goodyear front tires, as they've been out of production for over 30 years. The square shoulder sawtooth tires is about the best you can do. I used them on my Cadet 100 when I restored it in 2005, and they look OK.
Don't forget to get tubes!

I think i will just use the tires I have for it. Is Majic Cub cadet Yellow the right shade?

Most likely not...the farm store "Cub Cadet Yellow", or at least the ones I have seen, is the shade of yellow they used from the 1990's through present day that has a bit of an orange cast to it. Looks awful on the older machines. Never mind that Majic brand paint is also about as low quality as it gets.

I'd either get Irongard from CaseIH, or have some single-stage auto paint mixed. Paint codes are here:

http://cubfaq.com/paint.html

If either of those options are out of your price range, Rust-oleum Marigold Yellow is very close but will take 6 months to a year of curing to develop much hardness or chemical resistance.

I think i will just use the tires I have for it. Is Majic Cub cadet Yellow the right shade?
I'm not crazy about the majic but it is a perfect match for my yellow on a CC102, circa 1967. Goes on in a fine spray, easy to control, levels out well. At my HD, Rustoleum is in spray-adjustable rattle cans (3 spray levels). Cheers, Jack

I'm not crazy about the majic but it is a perfect match for my yellow on a CC102, circa 1967. Goes on in a fine spray, easy to control, levels out well. At my HD, Rustoleum is in spray-adjustable rattle cans (3 spray levels). Cheers, Jack
It takes an equal amount of effort to paint with mediocre paint as it does the good stuff.

Latest posts

Back