• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Oil Debate Once'n Fer All !

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kweaver

displayname
KENtuckyKEN
Over the past week or two we have talked about engine oils and their ZDDP content.
We are running 40 year old K-Series Kohlers and we need/want the highest ZDDP content that we can get since our old beloved engines are of the flat tappet design and being air-cooled need extra protection.

What is Shell's best oil for our hard working engines ?
Could you let us know the ZDDP content too ?

Our web site is https://www.ihcubcadet.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.pl?pg=topics

Thank you for your time
KenW (a forum member)

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Ken,

Shell Rotella oils, while primarily marketed as diesel engine lubricants, also carry API S-series ratings for use in gasoline engines. These oil all contain approximately 1200 ppm zinc, a level
similar to that found in API SJ rated oils prior to 2001. This level of zinc has historically performed well in flat tappet engines.

Kohler engines usually specify SAE 30 for temperatures above freezing. However, whichever grade of Shell Rotella oil you choose will provide adequate protection.

Thank you for your interest in Shell Lubricants!

Regards,
Edward A. Calcote
Staff Chemist
Shell Lubricants US Technical Information Center
http://www.shell.com/us/lubricants<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

Still waiting to hear from Valvoline ...

LUCAS has a video of their racing oil on a dyno engine.

A ZDDP request has been sent ...
192313.jpg

Well Gol-dang-er KenTUCK - you got the Shell people to respond!!!! If you have a look over that there hill you aught to be able to see and yell at those Vavoliine guys. Ain't they in Ashville (where they take all the Ash out of the oil??)

I just gotta have my Valvoliine. Been a die-hard user to long to switch now.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Neve Die - unless you don't use Valvoliine!

Well it looks like Shell wins ... just on customer service if nothing else !

No replies from anyother's.

Guess I'll open the 2 gallons of Rotella I have and start changing this weekend.

Looks like you have to go to 15/50 weight racing Mobile 1 to get more ZDDP than Shell Rottela 30w.
To thick ..............

Ok I went to page 2 !

Yeah it's a lot higher , but Racing only. Might be ok for the Kohlers but probably not for street use due to not enough heat.

Latest posts

Back